How to deal with negativity about calorie tracking?

Options
I am constantly get ringed out for weighing my food or for saying no to foods at gatherings. I have been serious about tracking and weight lifting, but my family or peers don't seem to understand it (or my goals).

I'm also dreading Easter dinner because my husband's family constantly tells me how I'm already thin or nit picks what's on my plate. Since I'm hosting, I plan on making a couple healthy alternative dishes for myself and I'm incredibly anxious.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    My brain doesn't work like that but I can empathize with you somewhat but as the old saying goes, misery likes company and people don't want to be reminded that weight and health are noble goals. imo.

Saying that, if your making all the food from scratch, so to speak, what for example would be classified as unhealthy, unless you feel calories or calories from certain foods are a problem. I would just concentrated on portion control this weekend if your that anxious. Cheers
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    … The ones saying something also the ones wishing they be in the shape I am at age 41 now that I've lost 165 pounds.
    People will either be supportive or not. Just stay focused because YOU know how worth it this is .

^^^this

I’ve gotten used to being judged at Bunco, holiday gatherings ,etc. “look at her stuffing her face” kind of mentality.

They have no idea I cut calories before and/or after, or plugged in an extra workout, nor is it any of their business.

After a while you get to the point where people not only don’t remember you used to be obese and count calories, but will actually argue with you that you’ve “always been thin since I’ve known you”.

That freaking blows my mind. But it does reinforce that they see and perceive what they want to see.

If you feel pressured tomorrow, you could always smile and say, “I’ve already sampled my way through the cooking this morning to make sure it was perfect for you”. They don’t have to know otherwise.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    And PS I do bring things to share like airpopped truffle salt popcorn, veggie sticks, light dips etc to gatherings.

Whether I stick to them or not is another matter but at least I have myself options. 🤷🏻‍♀️

And friends do get used to it. My giant vat of popcorn is sort of a running joke now.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If people are truly commenting on what a grown adult puts on their plate, then those people are obnoxious. Ignore them. That said, nobody has ever commented about what’s on my plate. I go to a lot of family gatherings and my strategy is to take a tiny dab of every delicious side and a good portion of the protein and vegetables.

If you are bringing out your food scale and weighing your food at a family gathering, you have to be prepared for curious questions. It’s different, and that’s just how it is. You could just estimate instead. It won’t kill you.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    Random unsolicited advice:
    "How's that working for you?"

Random comment about my body:
    My doctor thinks my weight is great for my age.
    My doctor thinks my activity level is great for my age.
    My doctor does not have any complaints like you do about my weight/activity level.

Random comments about my portions or choices:
    Keep your eyes on your own plate
    Stay in your lane

One comment I consider:
    It is considered rude/inappropriate to comment or name call people or body shame. You do not want to be called obese/overweight and I do not wish to entertain you calling me 'skinny'.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you're dreading it and feeling anxious. You absolutely should not.

What little I can tell from your small profile pic, you're fit and healthy. If that wasn't the case, and they were expressing concern for your wellbeing, that's one thing. I assume this is not the case here. If you're healthy and have personal goals, or are preparing for a competition and every day matters, then *kitten* em. They're in the wrong, not you. I have no tolerance for people who don't support others health goals, especially friends and family whom it's fair to expect better from.

However, if you don't have a specific near term goal like an event, would one day of eating a bit more hurt? I'm just saying that one day of 500-1000 extra calories won't make any difference by the middle of next week, so if there happens to be good options to have that you don't normally have, you could partake and enjoy it, without going overboard of course. But do so for your benefit, not theirs.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    We don't really know anything about you, OP, but CONSTANTLY getting bugged about what's on your plate? It doesn't quite add up; regular folk don't constantly harp on what other adults are eating, do they? Is this something you talk about a lot? You've said that they do not understand your goals -- could this be because you're underweight or have a history of extreme dieting?

Otherwise, what everyone else said. A shrug is great for shutting down most conversations. Those who would continue to goad you might require a shrug + leaving the room.
  • christinefrano
    christinefrano Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! I appreciate all the advice and support!!

It went better than I thought. If I ever deny desserts or other food I just get asked why, get made fun of, etc. It's not really "normal" with my husband's family to not eat sugar/fat or eat healthy..😅 It's almost like a group of drinkers trying to peer pressure you to have another beer.

But going forward I am going to just let it go and remind myself I'm doing nothing wrong. I will put everything y'all said into practice. Thanks!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Learning to communicate (and enforce) boundaries is hard. But if you really truly are doing things in a healthy way...it's OK to simply state to people "Please don't comment on what I'm eating or not eating" and there needs to be no more explanation to that. That's a general good practice for everyone - don't comment on people's bodies/food etc.

I don't think you need to go as far as to make *different* food for yourself separate from your regular Easter dinner though (I know Easter has already happened). You just fit what you're eating into your daily calorie goal (or better yet...weekly calorie goal).

I tend to not do well when I'm restricting myself...so I eat what I want and on Holidays/special occasions I eat what I want. Only difference now is that I make a plate, and go somewhere else to eat it and try not to hang out around the snacks - that can lead to me mindlessly eating more than I really am wanting or craving. Taking the time to eat and enjoy your food and then actually feel how full you are is a good practice as far as limiting over-eating when it's a struggle.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @christinefrano Hope you had a great family dinner. More holidays are coming around the corner.

Every time we swallow our words to keep the peace, we reaffirm someone else's opinions are more important than our own. We don't have to field criticism for our food tracking choices. I agree with @sollyn23l2 .

I make a stand and I don't fix their discomfort. It only gets in the way of their growth. You wouldn't want to rob them of their chance at improvement.
  • hoarc1987
    hoarc1987 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Let them have their natural reaction. Just say thank you and make a polite excuse. Use etiquette and void confrontation. Your life will be less stressful. Don’t tell them about your dieting. Make some silly excuse
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I generally hosted/helped the host at family gatherings and didn't bother to weigh my food as it was so much work to put these on.

I did have to contend with food pushers, however. My strategy at potlucks was to fill my plate with salad /veggies plus small portions of the food I really wanted so whenever the pushers looked, they'd see a fullish plate. If I still got pushed, I'd say I was "saving room for [X's famous dessert.]"