I need zero alcohol

2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    edited May 2023
    Good for you.

Try to just be open minded about the God talk. Within you is a higher self, a self that wants a better life. That's one way to look at your Higher Power. Find a way to tap into that.

Peoples' lives have been saved in those rooms. Some of them are very passionate about that. Look for similarities, not differences.

In every group of people there are going to be extremists...in your golf group, in PTA meetings, at school and work. Try to see them as people with an illness instead of being at odds with them. They're only people, and you have every bit as much right to a seat in the room as they do.

Take what you like and leave the rest, and stick to the people you do agree with, the ones who are good company to you.

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Good for you.

Try to just be open minded about the God talk. Within you is a higher self, a self that wants a better life. That's one way to look at your Higher Power. Find a way to tap into that.

Peoples' lives have been saved in those rooms. Some of them are very passionate about that. Look for similarities, not differences.

In every group of people there are going to be extremists...in your golf group, in PTA meetings, at school and work. Try to see them as people with an illness instead of being at odds with them. They're only people, and you have every bit as much right to a seat in the room as they do.

Take what you like and leave the rest, and stick to the people you do agree with, the ones who are good company to you.

I spoke with a couple of guys last night and I'll go to the meeting tomorrow but tonight I'm really struggling, I feel crap and you know "if I have a drink I won't feel crap" I think I lost 4 days so coming off, the cravings are screaming any suggestions?
  • cmriverside
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Good for you.

I spoke with a couple of guys last night and I'll go to the meeting tomorrow but tonight I'm really struggling, I feel crap and you know "if I have a drink I won't feel crap" I think I lost 4 days so coming off, the cravings are screaming any suggestions?

Well, that's what happens when you have a problem with alcohol. It causes that compulsion to drink to quiet the body and mind.

If you can wean off that's a good way, but a lot of people who have a drinking problem can't wean off - Have you already tried that? So then if that hasn't worked the only way out is to just stop and deal with the discomfort for a while... for a few days. What you've been doing hasn't been working. If you think you need medical help, get some.

AA is about total abstinence and they will support you but you have to do this yourself. Can you eat some thing and go to bed? Then tomorrow don't pick up a drink, no matter what.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I second what cmriverside has said above. Get through the discomfort. Did the AA guys give you a sponsor to call? Call him. Talk it out.

Just. Don't. Drink.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 11
    @andysport1 I went to AA in the past (close to 20 years ago) in an area that I used to live. I was very bad off. There was a man named Virgil that would go around and pick people up and take them to meetings. He had picked me up and then drove to a VA facility to pick up some others. I was actually dry heaving in the back seat (I was so sick).
    When we got to the meeting, I could barely walk up the easy stairs to the restroom. My balance was so off. But I made it. In no time at all, I was walking normal again and felt like a real person.
    That particular meeting was in a very small town (population 1000). I met my husband at that time and we loved that meeting.
    We've moved since and I haven't attended a meeting since. Besides that meeting, AA wasn't really my cup of tea either. But, you might give it a try. If you don't like one meeting, try another. The one we liked going to... we were in stitches all night.
    I'm in the process of quitting too. That's why I'm here.
    Good luck and take care!
  • cmriverside
    Darlene_Oregon, good for you. Sober life is so much better in every way. I hope you make it stick this time.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 115 Member
    @cmriverside Thank you for your support. I'm really working on it. I'm trying to taper off a bit. But hope to quit real soon!