Cholesterol

Options
2»

Replies

• Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My weight is normal, my blood pressure is low, I exercise. I eat whole foods because I have a ton of food allergies. I have a garden. My good cholesterol is normal, my sugar is normal. I fell in love with chorizo from natural grocers and had it almost every day😝 and also cashew cheese almost every day. Bingy for sure! So my bad cholesterol skyrocketed. Her question is about eggs not whether doctors know my situation (they do) and whether doctors know what they are talking about (mine does). Cheers right back atcha!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    My weight is normal, my blood pressure is low, I exercise. I eat whole foods because I have a ton of food allergies. I have a garden. My good cholesterol is normal, my sugar is normal. I fell in love with chorizo from natural grocers and had it almost every day😝 and also cashew cheese almost every day. Bingy for sure! So my bad cholesterol skyrocketed. Her question is about eggs not whether doctors know my situation (they do) and whether doctors know what they are talking about (mine does). Cheers right back atcha!

Perfectly said!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    kkecriss wrote: »
    Hi all, I’m constantly over my nutrition goal in this due to eggs. What should I do?

I wouldn't worry about this unless a test had shown and a doctor confirmed I should be concerned about cholesterol. And then, I would work on it by ADDING foods that lower cholesterol, rather than considering dietary cholesterol.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol

Changing what foods you eat can lower your cholesterol and improve the armada of fats floating through your bloodstream. Adding foods that lower LDL, the harmful cholesterol-carrying particle that contributes to artery-clogging atherosclerosis, is the best way to achieve a low cholesterol diet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

The term "bad cholesterol" is a made up phrase by journalists in main stream media and is not a scientific designation now or ever. That began way back 50 years ago when not much was known except, they believed that saturated fat and cholesterol caused heart disease so therefore LDL is bad and was coined the lipid hypothesis. They just forgot to tell the French and all the Scandinavian countries that because those Countries eat the most saturated fat and cholesterol and have the lowest incident of heart disease, while the countries that consume the least, which are mostly eastern Europe, have the highest.

LDL cholesterol is how the body delivers cholesterol to all of our cells and organs, and are crucial building blocks for all cell membranes, helps make bile which is key for food digestion, produces steroid hormones like estrogen and testosterone, it's vital for the production of Vit, D basically if there was no LDL we would die, so there actually is a little more to the story.

The nuance is in what type of LDL, because there are different classes of LDL and some that are more atherogenic than others. How do we distinguish that, that's the real question. The quick and easy answer basically, is in the particle size of LDL, the smaller the LDL particle the more atherogenic it is, which is the actual "bad cholesterol".

Can we tell that from the basic blood panel we get at the Dr's office, no, and actually they don't even measure LDL. What is done is they take total Cholesterol and subtract the HDL and what's left is deemed LDL.

What indicated that an LDL particle might be of the smaller variety with some accuracy, well there is a way and that is determined by how much HDL we have and what our circulating triglycerides are. Basically if we have low HDL and high triglycerides then the LDL particles will generally be the small and more atherogenic phenotype. Our C-reactive protein (CRP) which is our inflammatory blood indicator letting us know how much chronic inflammation we have and that will always be elevated when particle size is again, that small phenotype as well as having low HDL and high triglycerides.

Most people that have multiple health issues related to heart disease like obesity, diabetes, fatty liver, high blood pressure actually have what would appear to be normal LDL, and a study done a few years ago indicated that (75%) of the patients admitted to hospital that were actually having a heart related event showed normal and low LDL, and only 2% had HDL in what would be considered the normal range, but had many health issues like obesity and diabetes.

Anyway, I'm glad your eating mostly whole foods and if you don't have many health issue, and like I said people that eat like you do, generally don't have as much risk. Curious did your dr. mention statins?

Information overload, but some people here might find it interesting.

https://tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17512433.2018.1519391

• sollyn23l2
    Options

a study done a few years ago indicated that (75%) of the patients admitted to hospital that were actually having a heart related event showed normal and low LDL, and only 2% had HDL in what would be considered the normal range

FYI, this is an interesting paradox. When you have a heart attack, it dramatically drops your ldl levels immediately after the heart attack. So yes, patients who are admitted to a hospital with a heart attack would have lowered ldl levels. It does not mean that they had normal ldl levels prior to the heart attack. Just interesting to know.
  • neanderthin
    edited May 2023
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

a study done a few years ago indicated that (75%) of the patients admitted to hospital that were actually having a heart related event showed normal and low LDL, and only 2% had HDL in what would be considered the normal range

FYI, this is an interesting paradox. When you have a heart attack, it dramatically drops your ldl levels immediately after the heart attack. So yes, patients who are admitted to a hospital with a heart attack would have lowered ldl levels. It does not mean that they had normal ldl levels prior to the heart attack. Just interesting to know.

Yeah, that's a popular opposing theory and mostly by persons involved with statins, but yet to see the studies, and not from lack of looking. If you have some evidence that I missed could you link it. thanks.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

Yeah, that's a popular opposing theory, but yet to see the studies, and not from lack of looking. If you have some evidence that I missed could you link it. thanks.

I mean, honestly, it doesn't matter. We're all going to die at the end. Truth is nobody ever convinces anybody with a study. At the end of the day, we believe what we want to, and see what we want in whatever study we're provided. What you and I seem to agree on is that a diet based on whole food is probably one's best bet.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Well, I do agree that a whole food diet is probably the healthier way fwd, the rest of your statement, not so much. :) Cheers.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    Well, I do agree that a whole food diet is probably the healthier way fwd, the rest of your statement, not so much. :) Cheers.

https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(16)35525-8/fulltext#:~:text=In patients with acute myocardial infarctions (MIs), cholesterol,lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.

FWIW, here's a study demonstrating that all types of cholesterol dropped equally after myocardial infarctions.
  • neanderthin
    edited May 2023
    Options

https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(16)35525-8/fulltext#:~:text=In patients with acute myocardial infarctions (MIs), cholesterol,lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.

FWIW, here's a study demonstrating that all types of cholesterol dropped equally after myocardial infarctions.

These patients as well had cholesterol levels well within the normal and lower range upon admittance and wouldn't be considered high and confirms the point that people having heart attacks in real time had normal cholesterol levels. Their triglycerides went up, that's interesting. The fact that overall cholesterol levels dropped after 4 days of hospital care isn't unusual, but well after the fact, although the ratio's stayed the same. Good job finding that and Interesting study, thanks for the link. Cheers.
  • Kurstyna
    Kurstyna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't think eggs have very much nutritional value so I only have 1 a week at most, if at all. I prefer things like pita bread and fruit, breakfast waffles or just a bagel with cream cheese. As I am on a diet its unusual for me to do the bacon, eggs potato and toast breakfast like I had pre-dieting.
    If you want to change your body shape you could try string cheese it helps unclog lots of
    things and might help your body fat - - for example my arms and shoulders and neck are quite thin
    but my thighs and waist are too large. So re-apportioning where the fat goes on my body is a priority. I am interested in reading comments about changing body shape, thank you!!!!
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    Kurstyna wrote: »
    I don't think eggs have very much nutritional value so I only have 1 a week at most, if at all. I prefer things like pita bread and fruit, breakfast waffles or just a bagel with cream cheese. As I am on a diet its unusual for me to do the bacon, eggs potato and toast breakfast like I had pre-dieting.
    If you want to change your body shape you could try string cheese it helps unclog lots of
    things and might help your body fat - - for example my arms and shoulders and neck are quite thin
    but my thighs and waist are too large. So re-apportioning where the fat goes on my body is a priority. I am interested in reading comments about changing body shape, thank you!!!!

String cheese can help unclog things and reshape our bodies, and eggs don't have very much nutritional value? That's a very strange rabbit hole you fell into. Cheers.

See, I told you we agree on more than you thought. Eggs do have a lot of nutrition, it's true.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Wow...that's a new one on me. Eggs are little nutritional powerhouses...they are among the most nutritious foods on the planet for an individual food. They are just about as close as you can get to a perfect food as they contain a little bit of pretty much every nutrient your body needs. If they're pastured, even more so as they will contain more Omega 3 fatty acids and much more vitamin A and E
  • neanderthin
    Options

String cheese can help unclog things and reshape our bodies, and eggs don't have very much nutritional value? That's a very strange rabbit hole you fell into. Cheers.

See, I told you we agree on more than you thought. Eggs do have a lot of nutrition, it's true.

Haha, yes we do. Please don't take my disagreements with some of your assertions as not appreciating your enthusiasm and intuition to make bold statements from the hip, I like that. We leave ourselves open to critics that use more science based knowledge, and that can be frustrating, and mostly with ourselves, or at least for me it does. cheers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options

Reapportioning where the fat goes on your body may be a priority, but it's not going to happen. Your body is going to store fat where it's genetically disposed to. If your thighs and waist are the last place to lose fat, there's nothing you can do (short of surgery, which I don't believe is a long-term solution) to move it to your arms, shoulders, and neck.

As for the idea that eggs don't have nutritional value and that string cheese "helps unclog lots of things," I'll just say ditto to the others who have disagreed with those points.