Emotional Eater

Options
ericacox2
ericacox2 Posts: 1 Member
I really would like to get started on losing weight. I have packed on the pounds over the winter. Due to stress and depression. Food is my comfort. I'm am a diabetic and on medication. Most days I'm in a bad mood and I eat very unhealthy🥺

Replies

• hoarc1987
    hoarc1987 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Forget everything you learned about diet. You want to chase the “oomph”. Eat a fitness breakfast and watch your energy go up. Then a few hours later do exercises. Then later in the day eat organic greens and some healthy carbs. Use dumbbells for exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,955 Member
    Options
    If hunger isn't the problem food isn't the solution.

Truly, cookies and chips never solved grief, loss, betrayal, or money problems. It makes health problems worse. You know that.

When I'm feeling sorry for myself I have to get out of the house. Walk in a park, around a lake. Do a puzzle. Keep busy with things other than TV, the internet or the news and social media.

You can change your life. Only you can change your life.
  • MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome. We share a lot in common, I also suffer from severe depression (have been hospitalized), diabetes, am hugely overweight with more than 100 lbs to lose. Food has been my friend and comfort, eat when I’m stressed, anxious, bored, tired, celebrating, whatever. Add have back pain and don’t want to move.
    BUT here’s the amazing thing: am making progress with some small changes, that encourages me to make other small changes. And I am encouraged have HOPE that I can be healthier, with each incremental change.
    So for today, just start logging your food. Doesn’t matter if it’s perfect. For me, it was powerful ( and shocking) to see what I was really eating. It was also motivating me to think about what I was choosing to eat. Also include water tracking if you can.
    Also maybe talk to your dr about the new class of diabetes drugs that also help control appetite. ( weygovy, Ozempic, mounjaro) if you are interested.
    We CAN do this 💪
    Karen from Seattle

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to change this considering this didn't take place overnight?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    It’s a merry go round. Depression leads to eating which leads to lounging which leads to more depression, rinse repeat ad naseum.

You have to decide where in the chaos you choose to get off and take control.

For me, getting out and walking boosted my spirits and helped me investigate better eating, which (light bulb!) interested me in more better-eating and more exercise. As I took control of these sides of the carousel, the hold I let external factors I couldn’t control (but desperately wanted to) relinquished their death grip on my thoughts.

I eventually realized , these thoughts and the people associated with them were controlling me instead of the other way around and I found the strength to put them to the side or put them out of my life completely.

It’s like the other end of the telescope. As I came into focus on the one end, they started to get smaller and further away and I realized how unimportant they were.

Focus on you.