Activity data from apple watch

I really don’t understand if I have an Apple Watch that reports all of my movement data, why does MyFitnessPal have those generic activity levels that affect my remaining calories instead of just pulling it off from Apple Watch and having an exact measure instead of taking a guess. I know it’s possible lots of other apps, do it such as my plate. I can go for a walk and watch my available calories to consume go up , which is very motivating

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    If you have a properly synched tracker, the only effect of the activity level setting in MFP is that you get a bigger positive adjustment (if your tracker reports activity above your MFP activity level) or a smaller positive adjustment, or even - assuming you have negative adjustments enabled in MFP - a reduction from your calorie goal because your MFP activity setting implies more activity than the amount of activity your tracker sees.

Assuming Apple implemented the interface correctly, your MFP activity level would affect the size/direction of the adjustment, but not the final calorie goal you end up with.

Apple's implementation has been reported by others here as having some . . . deficiencies, in some cases. I can't give you details because I'm not an Apple user.
  • pallas55
    pallas55 Posts: 2 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you have a properly synched tracker, the only effect of the activity level setting in MFP is that you get a bigger positive adjustment (if your tracker reports activity above your MFP activity level) or a smaller positive adjustment, or even - assuming you have negative adjustments enabled in MFP - a reduction from your calorie goal because your MFP activity setting implies more activity than the amount of activity your tracker sees.

Assuming Apple implemented the interface correctly, your MFP activity level would affect the size/direction of the adjustment, but not the final calorie goal you end up with.

Apple's implementation has been reported by others here as having some . . . deficiencies, in some cases. I can't give you details because I'm not an Apple user.

The problem is that MFP only reports the exercise information from an Apple Watch, as far as I can tell (and I’d love to be wrong) it ignores normal movement activity such as walking. Some days I do a lot of walking and some days I do none, so I don’t want to just pick a MFP activity level.

When I use the “My Plate” app I can watch the calories I’ve burnt from walking go up which I really wish I could do in MFP as I like everything else more about MFP.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Again, I can't comment on Apple's implementation, which is said to have some flaws.

Some of the interfaces bring across steps or exercises, but the calorie reconciliation is intended to be at the total calories level, by end of day. In that sense, it would include NEAT . . . if properly implemented. Maybe one of the Apple users will comment here.
  • AppleFitnessfan
    AppleFitnessfan Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2023
    5f4ntgtv1jak.jpeg

I’m using the Apple Watch Ultra in combination with MFP. Above is what was synced yesterday. The steps were from regular all day walking, and not for exercise. Unfortunately I forgot to start the Ultra prior to my strength training session, so missed out on an hour for that. Cool down Rowing calories were spot on with the Ultra. For me, I believe MFP is syncing both all day step count and regular tracked workouts correctly.
    Make sure you have “track steps with Apple Watch” in MFP settings, and give permission for MFP to read both steps and workouts in the Apple Health App.