2»

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    *peeks in*

I'm still here. Thanks to everyone who's answered (and actually read that long assed post). I need to reread and take notes and answer questions. But maybe after I deal with the fact that after a... mishap...my apt looks like a crime scene and I may or may not be having low key panic attacks because of it.

What's going on? Is alcohol involved? Cake? What kind of crime scene?

That is a pretty cryptic post...

Oh man, cake would have been awesome! I think it's pretty obvious sugar is my drug of choice :)

A little more gruesome unfortunately. I'm old and apparently have varicose veins and one in my ankle burst and, uh, I REALLY don't like horror movies and spraying blood is part of that reason even if I know it's fake. I was on my couch and the only thing I had handy to stop it was a tissue and that didn't last long. I thought I could wash the blood off in my tub until the spraying stopped with a side trip to my bedroom where I was going to get a huge bandaid but the box was still closed and I was a little too freaked out by the BLOOD NOT STOPPING(!!!!) to look for another box (I have a supply). I tied a towel around it and thanked god for my cell phone and called 911 who patched me into the fire dept.

Three plus firemen later (bandaging my ankle, taking vitals), my apt has dried pools of blood in front of my couch, trailing into the bathroom, with a side trek to my bedroom. I dabbed what I could of it away but, let's face it, a carpet cleaning service had to be called.

There's also blood still on my bathroom wall and on a couple rolls of toilet tissue.

But, good news! I'm probably not having panic attacks. I googled the symptoms and I only had like 2 of them.

This happened Monday night and the thought/sight of the blood coming out is still really fresh.

Thanks for asking! :)

I'm so sorry that happened to you. It must have been terrifying.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    *peeks in*

I'm still here. Thanks to everyone who's answered (and actually read that long assed post). I need to reread and take notes and answer questions. But maybe after I deal with the fact that after a... mishap...my apt looks like a crime scene and I may or may not be having low key panic attacks because of it.

What's going on? Is alcohol involved? Cake? What kind of crime scene?

That is a pretty cryptic post...

Oh man, cake would have been awesome! I think it's pretty obvious sugar is my drug of choice :)

A little more gruesome unfortunately. I'm old and apparently have varicose veins and one in my ankle burst and, uh, I REALLY don't like horror movies and spraying blood is part of that reason even if I know it's fake. I was on my couch and the only thing I had handy to stop it was a tissue and that didn't last long. I thought I could wash the blood off in my tub until the spraying stopped with a side trip to my bedroom where I was going to get a huge bandaid but the box was still closed and I was a little too freaked out by the BLOOD NOT STOPPING(!!!!) to look for another box (I have a supply). I tied a towel around it and thanked god for my cell phone and called 911 who patched me into the fire dept.

Three plus firemen later (bandaging my ankle, taking vitals), my apt has dried pools of blood in front of my couch, trailing into the bathroom, with a side trek to my bedroom. I dabbed what I could of it away but, let's face it, a carpet cleaning service had to be called.

There's also blood still on my bathroom wall and on a couple rolls of toilet tissue.

But, good news! I'm probably not having panic attacks. I googled the symptoms and I only had like 2 of them.

This happened Monday night and the thought/sight of the blood coming out is still really fresh.

Thanks for asking! :)

I'm so sorry that happened to you. It must have been terrifying.

I agree, how horrible!

Oh, my goodness. I didn't even know that was a possible outcome of varicose veins.

I hope you're okay after the cleaning crew comes in.

I would be freaked too.

I can't even.... :o

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Good grief!

dltclhg5f55d.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for the sympathy on my blood loss and carpet problem and I lost 4 of the 5 lbs I gained at the end of last year so woo hoo for water weight! :)

(Got the carpet cleaned...was more or less talked into the whole thing when I really only wanted the blood out. Carpet looks good except most of the blood is still there so there goes $350 I really couldn't afford for nothing.)

Also, ended up accidentally ordering the glucose monitor and supplies and, damn, $11ish for a healthy supply!

(Took a couple readings. I eat lightly during the day so the first was before I ate my big "meal" which I get around to at about 9:00 pm. That was 87 mg/dL. 1st post reading about 3 hours after I'd finished eating was 80 mg/dL. I took another one post meal last night and it was 111 mg/dL. I might have to calibrate it because I feel like it should be higher.)

Now! Questions...answers.

@kshama2001 So what's stopping you from seeing a registered dietician, especially now that you have your prediabetes diagnosis so can presumably get a referral easily?

When I emailed my doctor about getting a glucose monitor, I also brought up a registered dietician. He called me to talk about the blood test and I think I laughed so hard when he brought up weight loss and exercise, I forgot about that part of the email. (I'm not kidding. I laughed SO HARD :))

You mentioned your pre-diagnosis macro split of 60% carbs, 20% protein, 20% fat - what is it now?

I lowered it to 50% c, 25% p, 25% f but now that I'm back to being more strict with logging, usually under that and going by grams which I'm trying to keep close to 200 g. I just relowered it to 40%/25%/25%. My "logging" average used to be a touch over 250 so that wasn't including the mindless handfuls of cereal or half a bagel or rice or whatever.

Supplements - I hadn't planned on looking into it. Well, I planned on finding a vitamin C tablet to replenish my supply (I *think* I started taking that because of the iron in a multivitamin I was taking?) but then it was right there so I had to click. And then go on other internet travels looking that info up.

@neanderthin I think the only time I haven't been overweight was when I was 6. I just kept gaining over the years and topped off at 225. Doctor told me he wanted to see me at 160 and I just kept going :) I maintained an average of 105 lbs for 5 or 6 years until that pesky 5 lb gain last year. I expect that last lb or close to it to be gone when I weigh myself tomorrow.

(More later. Not ignoring anyone...mostly :) My problem now is I got a new computer at work and that's always fun! *eyeroll*)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    First, thanks for the sympathy on my blood loss and carpet problem and I lost 4 of the 5 lbs I gained at the end of last year so woo hoo for water weight! :)

(Got the carpet cleaned...was more or less talked into the whole thing when I really only wanted the blood out. Carpet looks good except most of the blood is still there so there goes $350 I really couldn't afford for nothing.)

Also, ended up accidentally ordering the glucose monitor and supplies and, damn, $11ish for a healthy supply!

(Took a couple readings. I eat lightly during the day so the first was before I ate my big "meal" which I get around to at about 9:00 pm. That was 87 mg/dL. 1st post reading about 3 hours after I'd finished eating was 80 mg/dL. I took another one post meal last night and it was 111 mg/dL. I might have to calibrate it because I feel like it should be higher.)

Now! Questions...answers.

@kshama2001 So what's stopping you from seeing a registered dietician, especially now that you have your prediabetes diagnosis so can presumably get a referral easily?

When I emailed my doctor about getting a glucose monitor, I also brought up a registered dietician. He called me to talk about the blood test and I think I laughed so hard when he brought up weight loss and exercise, I forgot about that part of the email. (I'm not kidding. I laughed SO HARD :))

You mentioned your pre-diagnosis macro split of 60% carbs, 20% protein, 20% fat - what is it now?

I lowered it to 50% c, 25% p, 25% f but now that I'm back to being more strict with logging, usually under that and going by grams which I'm trying to keep close to 200 g. I just relowered it to 40%/25%/25%. My "logging" average used to be a touch over 250 so that wasn't including the mindless handfuls of cereal or half a bagel or rice or whatever.

Supplements - I hadn't planned on looking into it. Well, I planned on finding a vitamin C tablet to replenish my supply (I *think* I started taking that because of the iron in a multivitamin I was taking?) but then it was right there so I had to click. And then go on other internet travels looking that info up.

@neanderthin I think the only time I haven't been overweight was when I was 6. I just kept gaining over the years and topped off at 225. Doctor told me he wanted to see me at 160 and I just kept going :) I maintained an average of 105 lbs for 5 or 6 years until that pesky 5 lb gain last year. I expect that last lb or close to it to be gone when I weigh myself tomorrow.

(More later. Not ignoring anyone...mostly :) My problem now is I got a new computer at work and that's always fun! *eyeroll*)

Thanks for the update! Now I'm going to nag you to follow up with your doctor about a dietitian :wink:

Re: your carpet - have you complained to them? Paying $350 to get blood out and not getting blood out is NOT acceptable :rage:

Re: the vitamin C - I'm a big fan of vitamin C, and take well over the RDA, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some in your multi. And are you sure you need iron? I don't recall you mentioning anemia in the past, and as someone who struggled mightily with anemia until my hysterectomy last fall, I tend to remember mentions of anemia/iron.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks for the update! Now I'm going to nag you to follow up with your doctor about a dietitian :wink:

Yes'm :) I'll email him again. We actually have an rd as a client but that might be too weird.

Re: your carpet - have you complained to them? Paying $350 to get blood out and not getting blood out is NOT acceptable :rage:

I went a little...um...reactionary in text and then on the phone when he called. HE TOLD ME TO CALM DOWN! Something you don't really tell people when they're not calm :)

Part of this is definitely on me. Before we met, I had made it clear getting the blood out was the important part and asked how much it would cost. He sent pics of a carpet with and without blood so I was optimistic. We finally met and I thought he was just going to give me a quote because he hadn't answered me on that but he was talking about all the bacteria in the carpet and stuff. To be fair, I'm in an apt and I rarely vacuum and it's never been cleaned or replaced in the almost 30 years I've been there.

I thought it would be just him but he brought the company van and an employee and I figured just let him do it. Some of the blood came out but it's still so visible in some spots.

He offered me a $50 refund but I was so pissed I said yelled that I just wanted the damned blood out!

Re: the vitamin C - I'm a big fan of vitamin C, and take well over the RDA, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some in your multi. And are you sure you need iron? I don't recall you mentioning anemia in the past, and as someone who struggled mightily with anemia until my hysterectomy last fall, I tend to remember mentions of anemia/iron.

Nah, I was having complications with my ulcerative colitis so my gastro ran an iron blood test along with all the other normal blood blood tests. In the 3 tests run roughly 6 months apart, iron was normal, iron sat was...wow...16, 10, then 16 again. And the one ferritin test was on the low side of normal range.

So for a while me and Flintstones complete got acquainted. Then the Walmart/Target versions. Then I figured I didn't really need the iron. But I still really liked the vitamin c :)