Chronic Laryngitis?

Options
2»

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just want to wish you all the best going forward. Try to stay positive and vent here if you need.

The ‘Multifunctional Teams’ my sister (lives in Kent) had for her breast cancer (2021) and colon cancer (2022) were excellent.

Cheers, h.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best. Hang tough.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    I'm glad the procedure went fairly smoothly, but of course concerned for you that the news may not be as good as you'd first hoped.

I know that different cancer types require different treatments, and have different side effects . . . but would observe that my experience with breast cancer treatment was that scary popular-press reports I'd read about treatment beforehand were more doom-y and awful than my actual experience. That was true even though I was sicker than average during chemo (based on comparison with others' stories I heard during long participation in a cancer support group). It wasn't fun, to say the least - surgery, chemo, radiation, 7.5 year drug regimen thereafter. But it was manageable.

One thing is that oncologists these days are quite good at managing side effects of both chemo and radiation. If you do require treatment, I'd encourage you to be very open with your treatment team about anything unpleasant that may occur, rather than trying to tough it out on your own. They may be able to help mitigate some of that.

I'm hoping you'll get as good news as is possible, as the situation proceeds, and that outcomes will be excellent. It sounds like there are reasons to be hopeful.

((hugs!))
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm glad the procedure went fairly smoothly, but of course concerned for you that the news may not be as good as you'd first hoped.

I know that different cancer types require different treatments, and have different side effects . . . but would observe that my experience with breast cancer treatment was that scary popular-press reports I'd read about treatment beforehand were more doom-y and awful than my actual experience. That was true even though I was sicker than average during chemo (based on comparison with others' stories I heard during long participation in a cancer support group). It wasn't fun, to say the least - surgery, chemo, radiation, 7.5 year drug regimen thereafter. But it was manageable.

One thing is that oncologists these days are quite good at managing side effects of both chemo and radiation. If you do require treatment, I'd encourage you to be very open with your treatment team about anything unpleasant that may occur, rather than trying to tough it out on your own. They may be able to help mitigate some of that.

I'm hoping you'll get as good news as is possible, as the situation proceeds, and that outcomes will be excellent. It sounds like there are reasons to be hopeful.

((hugs!))

Speaking of less awful and breasts, I finally had my first mammogram last week and it wasn't nearly as painful as I'd been led to expect. Wasn't actually painful at all.

Why I was so overdue was not at all related to anticipatory pain, but location. I'm a veteran and the only location available was deep inside Boston at a facility where I've had many unpleasant experiences. There was supposed to be a new radiology location much closer to me. It was finally built, and the space for the machine is there, but the machine still hasn't been purchased. I eventually gave up on that location and asked for a community care referral. My doctor was able to persuade CC that if I didn't get a referral, I wasn't going to get the procedure, and it was finally approved.

This is the second community care referral that was denied a few times before approval. I'm writing this to encourage other veterans who want care in the community rather than at a VA location to not give up and keep persisting until you get what you need.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    What a great outcome! I'm so glad for you. I am sure that I am not the only one following your thread, who did not previously reply and has been rooting for you!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    wzirym3kka33.png
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    So happy for you and thank you so much for updating us. Did you get any advice, apart from monitoring, for self care moving forward?
    (No need to give details)

Oddly enough I came on the boards today to see if you had an update yet.

Good health to you going forward.
    Cheers, h.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm just catching up to this post and I'm so sorry it wasn't as innocuous as I'd imagined! I'm so glad to hear that the final outcome was so positive, though! Did the surgeon say you'd be able to get your voice back?
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Thank you for coming back and updating us. I was only trying to find this thread yesterday to see if you had updated.

I’m so sorry the growth has returned and further surgery is needed. I hope the biopsy on the regrowth is negative.

I’m am glad your team is on the ball and acting fast.

Gosh it’s hard to type encouraging words, you’ll just have to take a virtual hug from me.

Hugs, h.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Ugh, sorry to hear that :disappointed:

qigke5vk0m5c.png
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Definitely deserving of a hug!
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear that you have had to have yet another surgery. I have hoped that it was a no news was good news situation.
    I do wish you the best and hope this is the last surgery.

hugs, h.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I just came across this threat out of curiosity. I am sorry that you @BarbaraHelen2013 have been going thru such a hard time dealing with serious health issues for a long time.
    As I was reading the entirely threat I kept hoping that one of your doctors had tested you for the presence of HPV (human papilloma virus), and what were the results of the pathology reports for surgeries #2 and now #3. I know that you are in the UK and that the medical system operates under different protocols, but if you haven't been tested for this virus, maybe you can ask for it. It is only a blood test. But if positive, the f/up treatment would be different.
    I wish you lots of luck and also strength and resilience. Keep us informed when you can because it seems that this group in MFP had followed you for several months giving you lots of support and understanding.
    E-hugs. G.