Where does “slow down as you approach your target weight” come from?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    maybe - but people like things defined - otherwise how gradually and how much to reduce are subjective - so, reduce pace to 1/2 pound per week when you only have 10 pounds left to lose is more specific advice - although the specifics are approximates it give clearer advice.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Iv'e seen that advice on here over the years. Just opinions of those who think that losing small amounts towards the end .. gently ..softly .. lands you into maitenance..
    I say get there faster. why slow down? I get what you wonder about. I think that is just the advice of some on here and it comes off like it is expert medical advice and it isn't.

I think transitioning into maitenance is one reason - other reason being that one needs reasonable nutrition and calorie level to fuel activity - so keeping at the same calorie deficit when one is smaller and has less to lose - which is the person who had lots to lose when they get close to goal as well as person who had less to lose in first place, doesnt give enough calories to do that properly at the smaller size.

• Edintokyo
    Edintokyo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    the person who had lots to lose when they get close to goal as well as person who had less to lose in first place, doesnt give enough calories to do that properly at the smaller size.

I have wondered about that… Does the MFP algorithm make any adjustments to its recommendations as you lose weight?
  • Edintokyo
    Options
    Screwed up that last post…
    keeping at the same calorie deficit when one is smaller and has less to lose - which is the person who had lots to lose when they get close to goal as well as person who had less to lose in first place, doesnt give enough calories to do that properly at the smaller size.

I have wondered about that… Does the MFP algorithm make any adjustments to its recommendations as you lose weight?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    Edintokyo wrote: »
    keeping at the same calorie deficit when one is smaller and has less to lose - which is the person who had lots to lose when they get close to goal as well as person who had less to lose in first place, doesnt give enough calories to do that properly at the smaller size.

MFP doesn't recommend anything as far as I know. People just select their desired weight-loss, enter their personal data and get a calorie goal.
    The only 'protection' that is built in: MFP will never give a calorie goal below 1200 for women and 1500 for men.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

The only adjustment it makes is modifying the amount of calories you need to eat as you lose weight to lose the amount of weight you want to lose per week. MFP doesn't dictate anything to the user beyond that it won't automatically set your calories to go below 1200 calories if you're a woman and 1500 if you're a man. It's all user directed. If I tell MFP I want to set a daily calorie goal of 500 calories, I can do that
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

I understand what you are both saying, but where do the values (10 pounds, half) come from?

Is there some specific scientific basis for this advice? Or are “10” and “half” merely nice sounding, easily relatable numbers to support an opinion?

I'm not familiar with recommendations for those specific values (10 pounds, half.) What I do see often is the recommendation that weight loss not exceed 0.5 - 1% per week. It was recommended so often that another poster created this graphic:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Within the last year or so, we had a discussion about this in Debate, but I don't have the patience to attempt to dig it up. Specifically, it was me asking the creator of the graphic about the basis for it, and her responding.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments.

I understand what you are both saying, but where do the values (10 pounds, half) come from?

Is there some specific scientific basis for this advice? Or are “10” and “half” merely nice sounding, easily relatable numbers to support an opinion?

I'm not familiar with recommendations for those specific values (10 pounds, half.) What I do see often is the recommendation that weight loss not exceed 0.5 - 1% per week. It was recommended so often that another poster created this graphic:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Within the last year or so, we had a discussion about this in Debate, but I don't have the patience to attempt to dig it up. Specifically, it was me asking the creator of the graphic about the basis for it, and her responding.

I'm sure I've said something along those lines sometimes, just to be non-vague: Slow down as you approach goal, dropping to half a pound a week when within 10 pounds or so of goal, or words to that effect.

But I don't think (?) I've ever presented it as gospel, hard science, etc. .

It's just . . . advice.

Like anyone else's advice here.

It's worth every penny anyone ever pays for it, and less.

If anyone comes to an Internet forum like this, asks a question, and thinks they're getting "expert medical advice" from random other users, they're very much mistaken. :D
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    For me personally, and being fairly small in stature, if I lost 2lbs a week I would have to cut out 1000 calories a day and I only burn 1600 calories a day.

I never advocated that you should try to lose two pounds a week. I asked a question.

Does it really matter what anyone else thinks? You've come to your own conclusion, which is fine. I think people got riled up at the way you communicated the conclusion you've come to. Of course you can lose weight as fast as your body will do it. Does that mean it's a good idea? Not really. The people who give that advice have a lot of experience with weight loss in a variety of ways. And their overarching message is "hey, going too fast, especially when trying to lose the last few pounds, probably isn't a great idea." You personally can choose to try and lose weight as fast or slow as you are able.

No, it does not really matter to me what anyone else thinks. Apparently, however, what I think mattered enough to you to let me know your thoughts on the subject.

Once again… I do not practice nor do I advocate for high-speed weight loss. I merely asked a question about the origins of a specific piece of advice being put forth here. I have come to no conclusion about whether the advice is right or wrong.

This discussion seems more appropriate to the debate section. Maybe you could flag your original post and ask the moderators to move it.

• Edintokyo
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to track this down.
  • Edintokyo
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    For me personally, and being fairly small in stature, if I lost 2lbs a week I would have to cut out 1000 calories a day and I only burn 1600 calories a day.

I never advocated that you should try to lose two pounds a week. I asked a question.

Does it really matter what anyone else thinks? You've come to your own conclusion, which is fine. I think people got riled up at the way you communicated the conclusion you've come to. Of course you can lose weight as fast as your body will do it. Does that mean it's a good idea? Not really. The people who give that advice have a lot of experience with weight loss in a variety of ways. And their overarching message is "hey, going too fast, especially when trying to lose the last few pounds, probably isn't a great idea." You personally can choose to try and lose weight as fast or slow as you are able.

No, it does not really matter to me what anyone else thinks. Apparently, however, what I think mattered enough to you to let me know your thoughts on the subject.

Once again… I do not practice nor do I advocate for high-speed weight loss. I merely asked a question about the origins of a specific piece of advice being put forth here. I have come to no conclusion about whether the advice is right or wrong.

This discussion seems more appropriate to the debate section. Maybe you could flag your original post and ask the moderators to move it.

Do what you like. I simply asked a question. It is rather telling that it turned into a debate.
  • Edintokyo
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If anyone comes to an Internet forum like this, asks a question, and thinks they're getting "expert medical advice" from random other users, they're very much mistaken. :D

Oh.... Have we really crossed the Rubicon of Fatuous Snarks?

Do posters here have no responsibility regarding the veracity of the notions they peddle?
    Are the people who turn to them for advice mere fools for trusting them?

No one in this "discussion" has asked for "expert medical advice" level information. The basic question has always been, ""Where did you get your numbers?"

Since this "discussion" has strayed so far from the original questions, lets review the queries that have brought us here and seriously consider what we have learned so far.

Quite often here, posters advise others to halve their weekly weight loss target when they get within 10 pounds of their ultimate goal weight.

What is the source of this advice?
    Thin air.

Does it have any scientific basis?
    No.

What happens if you don’t follow this advice?
    Nothing.

With that, I leave you to your snarking. Please don't forget to turn off the lights when you leave.
  • Edintokyo
    Options
    Did it again....

Do posters here have no responsibility regarding the veracity of the notions they peddle?

No one in this "discussion" has asked for "expert medical advice" level information. The basic question has always been, ""Where did you get your numbers?"

Since this "discussion" has strayed so far from the original questions, lets review the queries that have brought us here and seriously consider what we have learned so far.

Quite often here, posters advise others to halve their weekly weight loss target when they get within 10 pounds of their ultimate goal weight.

Thin air.

No.

Nothing.

With that, I leave you to your snarking. Please don't forget to turn off the lights when you leave.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Did it again....

Thin air.

No.

Nothing.

I'm not sure who you think was being snarky - although this post of yours seems rather so.

No it isnt advice from thin air - it is logical advice based on real life experiences and situations

and I would say what happens is if you stray too far from this general advice is not nothing- ie if you keep a large deficit and try to lose 2lb per week when you only have a little to lose or left to lose - is you are likely to be under fuelling yourself and rebound just before or after the finish line.

Maybe not - but more likely IMO

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I think we can say that the source of this advice is: good sense.
    Not everything has had scientific papers written about it.
    People don't have to follow this advice. They can find out themselves if it is really good sense or not.

I've been following this thread. It's been interesting because there is no scientific backing. It's just common sense. Remember that? People used to follow it.

A big thank you to the posters that took their time to explain why it's a good idea.

I answered your questions upthread. I guess I don't understand what the problem is exactly.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,870 Member
    Options
    No it isnt advice from thin air - it is logical advice based on real life experiences and situations

Actually Ann I already gave the op a pretty relevant answer as to what happens when people apply a ~50% of TDEE deficit all the way to a low goal. One that was derived by an actual scientific experiment and published in two hardcover volumes.

Whether he chooses to chase it down and then apply logic to the observations of the experiment and see what this may suggest to his own use case and situation that is entirely up to him! 🤷‍♂️😘
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Just to clarify - Ann didn't write that sentence you quoted.

I did.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    So, question. If I wanted to lose 16 lbs and per the OP’s question about not slowing down weight loss, it would take me 8 weeks at 600-800 calories a day. What would happen to me in this 8 weeks? Would I pass out at some point? Experience low blood sugar? Would my memory be affected or general coordination? How about my health, would I start to become malnourished on those calories for so long? Would my hair become brittle? Would my skin color start to change even just slightly? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, then perhaps there is a medical reason for slowing weight loss down when getting closer to goal. If I told my doctor what I did and how it affected me, what would they say and why? And with that experience and the doctor’s recommendation would I then say, “can you please provide your sources otherwise it’s just hearsay”?

OP, is this what you’re asking? I’m genuinely confused why this is even a question. This isn’t just advice from this community, this would be medical advice. Also not being snarky here, but curious if you would now tell others, especially young women, that slowing down in the end doesn’t matter when it could hurt them 🥺