If you are tall, 20lb weight difference is Not noticeable?

Options
pizymisa
pizymisa Posts: 5 Member
edited June 2023 in Getting Started
Hi guys, just curious about this matter and wanted to discuss it. I’m 5’9”, 136 lb back in Dec., I didn’t like how inactive I was and signed up with LA fitness. I didn’t lose weight very fast, but it was a solid and steady weight loss. I’m currently 115 lb.
I went to my chiropractor the other day, and we were talking about my weight loss. he said, he didn’t notice, I look about the same. he said, it’s because I’m tall. 20 lb is nothing. I out my photos together; and I feel like I kinda agree with him? 😅 I am still working out, but focusing more on toning exercise other than fat burning routines.
Image : https://ibb.co/DrR1LvJ

Replies

• pizymisa
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Before after
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I think you look much thinner, actually. I'm not sure I think that's a good thing, because you started out at what's technically a low-normal weight (looked good/healthy, to me), and are now technically substantially underweight. (BMI 17, when underweight starts below 18.5.)

Yes, BMI is a generalization, not right for every single person; but that's a pretty extreme difference. For most people, a technically underweight body isn't the most health-promoting choice.

It's your call, though.

ETA: My intention in saying this is not to be mean. Try to think of me as your concerned old internet auntie, who wants you to be healthy and strong throughout life. I'm old enough to be your old auntie, and even though I'm a stranger, I really do care about you and your health, I promise.
  • pizymisa
    edited June 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think you look much thinner, actually. I'm not sure I think that's a good thing, because you started out at what's technically a low-normal weight (looked good/healthy, to me), and are now technically substantially underweight. (BMI 17, when underweight starts below 18.5.)

Yes, BMI is a generalization, not right for every single person; but that's a pretty extreme difference. For most people, a technically underweight body isn't the most health-promoting choice.

It's your call, though.

ETA: My intention in saying this is not to be mean. Try to think of me as your concerned old internet auntie, who wants you to be healthy and strong throughout life. I'm old enough to be your old auntie, and even though I'm a stranger, I really do care about you and your health, I promise.

No worries~~ totally appreciate your concern!
    I intended to lose body fat and build muscles. But I think it’s pretty safe to say, I didn’t build up much if any muscles. So the number of weight and body fat percentage are probably the only two categories I can use to evaluate my progress. I Lost 4% body fat, from 24% to 20%. 😂 I have very limited strength. I could only push 20 lb with my arms; and for legs, only able to push with 20 lb or No weight attached. My trainer said this is not enough to build muscles, but do still take protein powder, which might help. my strong suit is endurance, in swimming and aerobic exercises, like HIIT.
    Right now, I kinda just give up on building muscles, just doing whatever exercise I like to do, like leg toning routine on YouTube.
  • LarryLorenz
    LarryLorenz Posts: 54 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    At 5’9 136 I think your weight was fine. There’s a big noticeable difference between the 2. Personally I wouldn’t refute losing anymore weight. If anything just work out and tone your body but for 5’9 your weight was good
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    pizymisa wrote: »
    Hi guys, just curious about this matter and wanted to discuss it. I’m 5’9”, 136 lb back in Dec., I didn’t like how inactive I was and signed up with LA fitness. I didn’t lose weight very fast, but it was a solid and steady weight loss. I’m currently 115 lb.
    I went to my chiropractor the other day, and we were talking about my weight loss. he said, he didn’t notice, I look about the same. he said, it’s because I’m tall. 20 lb is nothing. I out my photos together; and I feel like I kinda agree with him? 😅 I am still working out, but focusing more on toning exercise other than fat burning routines.

Per the bold, does that mean you brought it up then? Not accusing or judging, I just wanted to add that maybe people HAVE noticed your weight loss, but 1) commenting on body weight of another person is taboo and generally bad manners, and 2) sometimes people lose weight due to illness and so it's not mentioned unless you disclose that info. Just a thought. There are quite a few threads on this board addressing this issue, so perhaps you already thought of this.
  • pizymisa
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    pizymisa wrote: »

Per the bold, does that mean you brought it up then? Not accusing or judging, I just wanted to add that maybe people HAVE noticed your weight loss, but 1) commenting on body weight of another person is taboo and generally bad manners, and 2) sometimes people lose weight due to illness and so it's not mentioned unless you disclose that info. Just a thought. There are quite a few threads on this board addressing this issue, so perhaps you already thought of this.

To clarify, I think he genuinely just think I look the same.he kinda hinted, there’s no point of losing the 20 lb, since I just look the same. However, I definitely think he meant well, because he was the one who pointed out that I was keeping gaining weight, and getting some exercise is good for me. And I think as a doctor, he was absolutely right, That’s how I started working out.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Good, I'm glad he was helpful as a doctor! I also don't think it's "pointless" that you lost 20 lbs. Overall, I'm sure your health has improved and you are now active, so that's great!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    A lot of it just depends on how your body loses weight. Some people drop fast in one particular area and then on to another area and some people just kind of lose all over. If that’s the case for you, then 20# might not be very visible right away. Think of it like butter on toast. Put a pat of butter on toast and it’s a pile of butter. Spread that over the whole piece of bread, it doesn’t look like much. Same way a loss spread out over your body doesn’t look like much.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,202 Member
    Options
    A doctor sees dozens of people each day. I can imagine he didn't notice because he simply doesn't remember his patients in such detail and/or doesn't tend to be very attentive regarding how someone looks (unless it's a medical concern)? Clothes can also play a huge role in how we are perceived.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Good, I'm glad he was helpful as a doctor! I also don't think it's "pointless" that you lost 20 lbs. Overall, I'm sure your health has improved and you are now active, so that's great!

You think someone improved their health by going from the low end of the healthy weight range for their height to significantly underweight?

OP, if your chiropractor raised concerns about your weight gain when you were 136 pounds, I'd suggest that they stick to the area they have training in.

I have no idea of knowing, obviously. Just making a comment. Not my place to say either way.
  • zakabay
    zakabay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a 6' woman who's healthy weight range is around 155-175lbs, I would I agree that height tends to mask weight fluctuation to a certain point. I've had times where I've gained or lost 10 or even 15 pounds and it's not visible to others at all.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @pizymisa

I'm a little confused. Google tells me the symbol 斤 is for Japanese kin which is 1.32 pounds. According to that, the image on the left is 162.7 pounds and on the right it's 137.5 pounds, which doesn't look right, and isn't what your OP is saying.