Hello! Glad to join this online community

Options
Hello Fitness Pals! My name is Mazen - AKA ‘Maz’.

I have embarked on a health journey (since at least 2018) - with many ‘ups‘ and ‘downs’ in terms of consistency, discipline and actual results.

Just three additional points about myself (and look forward to hearing from ‘ pals’ for which any of these points might resonate).

1) My stance (on nutrition and exercise) in brief.
I am convinced that (a) A Whole-Food, Plant-Based lifestyle is the most longevity-promoting, disease-preventing and overall, healthiest nutrition lifestyle one can choose (plus it can be one of the most interesting in terms of variety and taste as well!); (b) Regular physical exercise is important (cardio and strength training)

2) The challenge
Right now, I am doing OK on the nutrition front (although I still need to keep the momentum long-term); the challenge at the moment, however, is on the exercise front. I am not disciplined at all - some weeks pass by without any exercise, or only one day of exercise; other weeks (not as often as I would like though) I make it to four or even five days of exercise.

3) Moving Forward
I look forward to exchanging resources, strategies, tips, suggestions, information - on how to be and remain disciplined on the exercise front.

If any of the above three points resonate with you - please let me know. I would like to learn about your ‘health journey’ too, and what you are doing to remain disciplined.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,335 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

For me, being regular on the exercise front is about several things:
    - doing something you actually enjoy (or at the very least don't dislike). For me that's turned out to be running (no one could be more surprised than me!). My biggest difficulty is strength training: intellectually I know it's great (for health and aesthetics) but very unmotivated, it's been months since I've done any. Still trying to find a way to get back into it :smile:
    - I have a fitness tracker and find it very motivating: I can set a step goal, I have a weekly 'intensity minutes' goal (based on WHO recommendations) and I can join exercise/step challenges. Seeing my activity data pushes me on too (I'm a data geek, I like seeing my performance improve)
    - finding (or creating) the appropriate time: I know many people swear by early morning exercise, but if I tried to do that, I'd quit at lightning speed (NOT a morning person). At the other end of the spectrum, late evening exercise is not for me either, if I postpone my exercise till after dinner it will often not happen. For me, right after work/before dinner is ideal. That's what works for me, but it may differ for you, find your own appropriate time.
    - setting concrete goals helps too (somewhat related to joining Garmin challenges): I generally aim for 30km per week (running) nowadays.
    - start small! I may be active now, but I was a true couch potato a few years ago. I started by increasing my step count, motivated simply by seeing my calorie allowance increase! Progressively I increased my walking speed, duration,... Then started to run, very slowly and not very far...
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,338 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

- finding (or creating) the appropriate time: I know many people swear by early morning exercise, but if I tried to do that, I'd quit at lightning speed (NOT a morning person). At the other end of the spectrum, late evening exercise is not for me either, if I postpone my exercise till after dinner it will often not happen. For me, right after work/before dinner is ideal. That's what works for me, but it may differ for you, find your own appropriate time.

- start small! I may be active now, but I was a true couch potato a few years ago. I started by increasing my step count, motivated simply by seeing my calorie allowance increase! Progressively I increased my walking speed, duration,... Then started to run, very slowly and not very far...

This is great advice @Lietchi . Start small, and do some thinking so I can set myself up for success.

(I'm going to get up at 5:00 a.m. and lift weights for an hour, then bicycle for :30 minutes, six days a week)
    ^^^< No I am not. :wink: >^^^
  • LarryLorenz
    LarryLorenz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome 🤗 !!

• mazengharz
    mazengharz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your suggestions @Lietchi and @Chris_in_cal…very helpful. And thanks too to other Pals for their welcome.

Yesterday I joined the ‘What was your workout today thread’ (under “Fitness and Exercise”)…yesterday I posted my exercises; today will aim to do the same- I think it helps to have some form of “community accountability” -interesting to see what other FitnessPals are doing too.

Have a good weekend!