"Low Carbs, Eat Fat & Fast"

Options

Replies

• oldmanbythegulf
    oldmanbythegulf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ann. Dr Robert Lustig states both LowCarbHighFat or Vegan/Veg are both ok other than Vegan/Veg miss one nutrient/mineral (I forgot which one) from marine/fish and the supplement is fish oil from wild caught or eat the fish. But, Ann, since 1974, you're doing ok, good. Your calorie/protein comment to me feels good, I did , I guess better on my one meal yesterday (while staying hunger satisfied), higher calories and, I guess, a better ratio between carbs, protein and fat. Thanks, I'm learning and evolving this eating plan more each day. I'm open minded, skeptical, evaluating with my passive reasoning, about information from any direction.
  • Brigit02
    Brigit02 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Could people's difference of opinion on nutrition or anything else be as simple as exposure to information through (easy relaxed viewing access to unlimited home internet on a laptop and 32" monitor with plenty of viewing time) VS (strenuous strained access to a small limited smartphone and limited mobile format), keeping in mind, of course, the information could be controlled, bought and payed for by the "meat industry" or "medical industry", OR NOT. (My drive is to lose my belly, healthier kidneys, liver, heart, live fitter, longer). I've formed my "eating plan" direction from You Tube: Dr. Sten Ekberg, Dr. Robert Lustig, Dr. Eric Berg, Dr. Pradip Jamnadas, Bob Briggs and dozens of other internet searches. I've just started, on this site, tracking my meals, (Monday: 440 total calories, 65g carbs, 12g fat)(Tues: 635 total calories, 87g carbs, 19g fat), apatite fully satisfied. Right now, I plan on continuing to refine my eating lifestyle toward "low carb, eat fat, fast if apatite is satisfied. Time will tell. Happy trails folks.

I liked Dr. Eric Berg until I found out the information he gave on intermittent fasting wasn't true.
  • oldmanbythegulf
    Options
    Brigit02, can you explain what fasting info is untrue and I will watch out for. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Ann. Dr Robert Lustig states both LowCarbHighFat or Vegan/Veg are both ok other than Vegan/Veg miss one nutrient/mineral (I forgot which one) from marine/fish and the supplement is fish oil from wild caught or eat the fish. But, Ann, since 1974, you're doing ok, good. Your calorie/protein comment to me feels good, I did , I guess better on my one meal yesterday (while staying hunger satisfied), higher calories and, I guess, a better ratio between carbs, protein and fat. Thanks, I'm learning and evolving this eating plan more each day. I'm open minded, skeptical, evaluating with my passive reasoning, about information from any direction.

If you found out Lustig is a quack, would you still hold his opinion highly?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • oldmanbythegulf
    Options
    Hello ninerbuff. If it was proven or just reasonably presented that Dr. Robert Lustig or anyone else was incorrect in all or some of their teaching, then of course, yes, it would effect my opinion. But, your above comment doesn't prove or reasonably present that Dr. Lustig is a quack. I'm open to diet info from you also. BTW, an exercise question. Should I loose my big belly with diet before I add ab exercises to my gym regiment?
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Your doctor and your nutritionist seem to me to be gently suggesting you spend your energies elsewhere - other people on this site are trying to inform of the logic behind this advice.

(And to answer your latest question - do abs or any other exercises at any weight or stomach size - but just go gently if you are out of shape. Start small, build up. Listen to your body saying it is time to stop. Pushing too hard - with exercise or weight loss - is not a good idea.)

Go well…and treat your body with kindness.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing in on "low carbs, eat fat & fast". My Doctors & my 110 lb, 20 yr old Nutritionist does not seem to be interested??? Is it all You Tube hype just to get clicks???

@oldmanbythegulf, it just kills me that so many professionals in healthcare seem to be totally uninformed about metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance. The diet industry has pretty much embraced the concept that refined sugars and processed foods are things to stay away from as much as possible. Unfortunately, many people who make a living from those desperate to lose weight make wild claims like how easy it is lose 20 lbs in a week. Then double down and promise that those suddenly lost pounds will never be regained. So much of it is just as you described: Hype. No all of it though. You'll have to determine what works for you and what doesn't

Or, perhaps your doctor is concerned about you reporting, "(Monday: 440 total calories, 65g carbs, 12g fat)(Tues: 635 total calories, 87g carbs, 19g fat)." I doubt that any Nutritionist is going to be O.K. with that way of eating for any length of time either. Depending on your amount of body fat you can not maintain that low of energy intake for long without doing yourself harm. No matter what your body size is, that way of eating is not going to work for you long term. I applaud you for searching for a meal plan that will work for you on your journey to a healthier you. You seem open enough to adapt and make changes as needed. Keep at it and I am sure you will do just fine.

You have mentioned belly fat and fatty liver. As others have said, there is no specific remedy to target either one other than to lose fat levels by expending more energy than you take in through consumption. You do have to pay attention though that you are getting enough vitamins and minerals, along with sufficient calories to keep up your energy level. As your body composition changes, so will it's needs. Accurate calorie counting and food logging is very helpful in telling you what is working and what isn't.

As for the YouTube influencers discussed in this thread, I am most familiar with Dr. Lustig. His early lectures, when he was still a full time professor, were easier to believe in. He was one of the first Academics to press the case against processed foods and refined sugars. Now that he has his books to sell and a growing following I can't help but wonder. His message hasn't changed all that much, and I shouldn't condemn him for trying to make money with his advice, but I don't care much for Influencers. His statements that refined sugar is addictive and poison our bodies is in direct opposition to mainstream dietary advice. His claims that CICO is not completely true is another point of contention. See some of the threads in MFP's Debate Club section. Their have been no valid arguments to debunk his claims - and I have looked for them. He is not a quack in my book.
  • toyoda
    toyoda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about lifetime eating habits of depriving your body of carbs and it will then adapt to eating it's own fat. Allow your apatite to determine when you eat. No apatite, don't eat. When you eat, chose a fatty meat, real butter, cheese, eggs, veg. etc. (focus on low carbs). The fat will cause you to feel satisfied longer, sometimes all day, even "one meal a day". Fasting isn't necessary but, 8/16 hrs or 24 hrs or even longer, could be helpful, as your body become fat and ketone adapted for energy instead of carbs, blood sugar, glucose, therefore your insulin resistance reverses to insulin sensitive, producing less insulin, which is good and may even help diabetes cases. Don't count calories. Condition your body to eat all those calories from your body fat. No sugar, very low carbs, fats will control your apatite longer, eat "only" when you're hungry, your overall health will begin to improve. Search this on You Tube. I hope it's correct.

It's working wonders for me, in all aspects of my life.
    The young'uns don't get it.
    LOW sugar WORKS.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    Just because a way of eating works for you doesnt meant other people don't get it or it is good for everyone.

Not sure how you are measuring 'it works' - but , for me, there was no need to go low sugar. I don't eat excessive amounts of it but I dont demonise or avoid it either - within context of appropriate calories and overall nutrition.
    My way of eating works for me.

I'm not young either. ;)
  • oldmanbythegulf
    Options
    I've lost 8 lbs. and 1 and a quarter inches of belly. I hope my body had adapted to eating it's own fat because I've restricted it's carbs down to about 20 or so grams per day?? Time will tell.
  • DFW_Tom
    Options
    Just because a way of eating works for you doesnt meant other people don't get it or it is good for everyone.

Not sure how you are measuring 'it works' - but , for me, there was no need to go low sugar. I don't eat excessive amounts of it but I dont demonise or avoid it either - within context of appropriate calories and overall nutrition.
    My way of eating works for me.

I'm not young either. ;)

Reading this, I am guessing that your body handles sugars (including the glucose converted from consumed carbs) with a normal insulin response. That you have never had a need to reverse insulin resistance, reduce visceral fat, or be concerned about a fatty liver and all that goes with metabolic syndrome. That is not the case with the O.P. and many others. It is not a rare condition. In 2021, Stanford University reported that 1 in 3 adults suffer from I.R.:

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/insulin-resistance-major-depressive-disorder.html#:~:text=About 1 in 3 American,depression, Stanford scientists have learned
    "... an increasing proportion of the world’s population is insulin-resistant: For various reasons — including excessive caloric intake, lack of exercise, stress and not getting enough sleep — their insulin receptors fail to bind to insulin properly. Eventually, their blood-sugar levels become chronically high. Once those levels stay above a certain threshold, the diagnosis is Type 2 diabetes, a treatable but incurable condition that can lead to cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disorders, neuropathy, kidney disease, limb amputations and other detrimental health outcomes."

A meal plan low in carbs is not necessary for everyone, but for the estimated +100 million American adults with IR, it is something that could very well benefit their health. We should encourage their efforts to improve their health even when we don't need to eat the same way.
  • DFW_Tom
    edited July 2023
    Options
    toyoda wrote: »
    LOW sugar WORKS.

Low calories work ^^^^FIXED

And how does someone who is hungry all the time eating the recommended carbs from MyPlate keep their calories low? @tomcustombuilder, your repeated statements that all that really matters is to eat less calories than are burnt makes no sense for anyone who is trying to find a way to reverse their insulin resistance. It is just too simplistic. The OP appears to be concerned with improving overall health as much as he is with losing weight. If this leads them to eating less sugar, then good for them. If they can find a way to free themselves from carb cravings, the reduction in calories is almost effortless (or at least, it was for me).

• DFW_Tom
    Options
    What we shouldn't do is post as if our way of eating is best for everyone and we know better than everyone else (because we've watched more youtubes or have a bigger screen or any other non qualification.) - and OP's posts do come across that way.

I agree with you on these points. Everyone is different and those claiming OMAD, or IF, or even just CICO is best for everyone are just as wrong to have done so.

But, I have been in the OP's shoes. When I found something that worked for me after decades of trying (and finding it impossible) to follow doctors' advice to eat less and exercise more (aka CICO), I wanted to shout my advice from the rooftops. Today's equivalent being posting what worked for me on internet discussion forums. Glad I didn't, and the OP will find a better way of sharing his experience if he hangs around MFP's forums. Still, I'm excited for him and wish him continued improvement in his health metrics.

• DFW_Tom
    Options
    I've lost 8 lbs. and 1 and a quarter inches of belly. I hope my body had adapted to eating it's own fat because I've restricted it's carbs down to about 20 or so grams per day?? Time will tell.

Good for you! If you have a lot to lose you will probably want to get to know the Thrift stores in your area. A lot less expensive for clothes that will only fit for a short time with the added benefit of a possible tax deduction when you donate your oversized clothes back to a non-profit.

20 g of net carbs, when my body fat was at 45%, is what I did for the first month or so of changing my way of eating. I slowly, very slowly increased the carb intake as I could tolerate them, trying my best to get those carbs from healthy whole foods. I never cared about if I was in ketosis or not, only what was working. I found I needed more and more carbs as my body fat decreased. Measured it yesterday at 17.9% and my average net healthy carb intake is now between 150-175 grams/day. It is important to keep your protein and fiber macros up too. Calories consumed need to be enough to meet your energy needs which will increase as your body leans out and you become more active. At least, that is what time told me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    toyoda wrote: »
    LOW sugar WORKS.

Low calories work ^^^^FIXED

And how does someone who is hungry all the time eating the recommended carbs from MyPlate keep their calories low? @tomcustombuilder, your repeated statements that all that really matters is to eat less calories than are burnt makes no sense for anyone who is trying to find a way to reverse their insulin resistance. It is just too simplistic. The OP appears to be concerned with improving overall health as much as he is with losing weight. If this leads them to eating less sugar, then good for them. If they can find a way to free themselves from carb cravings, the reduction in calories is almost effortless (or at least, it was for me).
    When someone is overweight or obese and have the plethora of complication that are associated with their health the weight loss also dramatically improves most health markers and for some people, that works and life is good.
    Unfortunately for the vast majority of people it doesn't and can't maintain their weight loss because their hunger overcomes them for one reason or another, and there's many reasons why that happens and just end up putting the weight back on and the health markers decline as well.

Authorities have been saying for decades to eat less and move more and the focus on the calorie is the basic foundation. After 50 yrs of people starting over again and again trying to follow that advice then crashing and burning around 95% of the time and you just have to look at the threads here, with people still hoping it's all about calories and even though obesity and diabetes etc is getting worse I don't see that advise will be changing anytime soon, mostly for political and self preservation reasons.

Changing ingrained lifetime habits is extremely difficult in the general sense and when that metric is food and with 75% of all calories consumed coming from highly palatable processed and ultra processed, which is as far as the food pendulum swings it's an ask that is almost insurmountable. In a country with 350 million people, grass root movements are inevitable, and that's exactly what has happened and in the context of food, obesity, overall metabolic health people have been seeing and feeling the benefits of low carb and ketogenic diets, and I for one have been low carb for 12 years. It's generally a whole food low carb, animal, higher fat diet and to publicly criticize these aspects is that moral high ground where majorities always populate, unfortunately that doesn't inspire much change in the world and if we look at progress in the general sense, it's normally the people outside of the majority that create change.

Perception and public opinion is a funny thing. The vegan diet is rarely criticized and the belief that a WFPB is going to save the world and people are going to be somehow a shinning beacon of health with people aspiring to be vegan when in fact it's probably one of the most unhealthy diets going, is very confusing. imo