Options
Has anyone been able to do keto
I am in my 70s and need to lose about 20kg
Suggestions???

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,697 Member
    Options
    There is no magic to KETO for Fatloss. Take in fewer weekly calories than you burn on a weekly basis and you’ll lose fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,950 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I'm low carb but have done a ketogenic diet and for satiety it works even better than low carb and the reason is basically hormonal and of course these diets take out the foods that are killing most Americans, specifically ultraprocessed. Works by helping to normalize ghrelin and leptin with ghrelin in the intestines telling leptin in the brain that you've had enough to eat and the mechanism is similar to a GLP-1 antagonist. Ketogenic and low carb are the go to diets for people with metabolic syndrome where obesity, diabetes, fatty liver, hypertension, unfavorable lipid distribution, etc. have taken over.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Eat protein (eggs, bacon, meat, and cheese) and a nice serving of vegetables for every meal.

No sugar, pasta, and rice on a good day. Only eat bread you make yourself ("keto" bread) and Sola or Carbonaut bread. No Franz or Orowheat "KETO Bread" -- it tastes awful and has a lot of carbohydrates.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been able to do keto
    I am in my 70s and need to lose about 20kg
    Suggestions???

My suggestion is to log your food, study and learn from the FOOD diary, and keep eating carbs.

I cut back on things like bread, sweets, cereals when I was losing weight, but I was no where near KETO. Low-ish carb, yeah. I tried to stay around 100-150g total carbs daily on my 1500-1600 calories when I was losing. That meant I really had zero room for too many processed carbs. Maybe one or two slices of bread, or a small potato or a portion of pasta/rice or rolled oats. No way I wanted to cut them out completely so I just played with the portioning and the number of servings.

Life for me is too short to try to give up bread, potatoes and pasta/rice.

I still lost my 80 pounds and I've continued to keep it off for over 15 years - eating all the above in portions that fit into my plan.

Up to you. If you like the KETO way of eating, go for it.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    The only sucessful diet long term is one that you can live with as part of your permanent lifestyle. KETO for most doesn't fit this category.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The only sucessful diet long term is one that you can live with as part of your permanent lifestyle. KETO for most doesn't fit this category.

The standard American diet is the current diet that the vast majority of people have maintained all their lives, therefore that is the most successful long term diet. Any your right, the keto diet doesn't fit that category. :)
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

The standard American diet is the current diet that the vast majority of people have maintained all their lives, therefore that is the most successful long term diet. Any your right, the keto diet doesn't fit that category. :)

For many, their "Standard American Diet" sucks. Fast food, junk food, etc. That will never be a good approach. They can maintain it fine, right into their heart surgeons office. I think enough diet awareness is being created where the new Standard Diet is a lot more health conscious and can be maintained.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

For many, their "Standard American Diet" sucks. Fast food, junk food, etc. That will never be a good approach. They can maintain it fine, right into their heart surgeons office. I think enough diet awareness is being created where the new Standard Diet is a lot more health conscious and can be maintained.

LOLOL

You obviously don't look at other people and their carts in the grocery store.

I could start a new carnival game: "Show me your grocery order and I'll guess your weight." :lol:
  • neanderthin
    Options

I agree the SAD isn't a good diet. What's this new standard diet that's being created, this is new to me so it's a legitimate question. Cheers
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

LOLOL

You obviously don't look at other people and their carts in the grocery store.

I could start a new carnival game: "Show me your grocery order and I'll guess your weight." :lol:

It's getting better. I live at the beach and people here have a better awareness of diet and fitness so grogery carts here are probably better than the ones in mid America where they don't have to run around in bathing suits all the time.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

I agree the SAD isn't a good diet. What's this new standard diet that's being created, this is new to me so it's a legitimate question. Cheers
    More health awareness than in the past. You'll always still have the fast food, junk food holdouts to some extent though.

• neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options

More health awareness than in the past. You'll always still have the fast food, junk food holdouts to some extent though.

Yeah, but the consumption of UPF are still increasing, and more so in Countries that are just starting to get a taste of it.

Just to add: it's actually this health awareness that have prompted people to investigate a low carb and ketogenic diet. There is of course dieters looking to lose weight but there's a therapeutic reason as well that is well documented in the scientific literature.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    I am not in your age group, but I do Keto. I like it, and it fits with the sort of foods I generally eat. Having said that, I do keto because of specific health issues. If it were not for them, I would have stuck with just counting calories as I was losing weight just fine doing that. Keto is a challenge at times, especially since the food you will find a meals with family and friends don't generally fit in the macro break down. On top of that it is a way of eating that will still benefit from logging and counting calories along with requiring lots of cooking, lots of reading labels to determine if the product actually fits in the keto macros, and generally just lots of effort. Calorie counting just requires cutting back on portion sizes, and paying attention to how much energy you consume in a day. Of the almost 50 pounds I have lots about half was just counting calories so I didn't go over my daily calorie goal. The other half was eating keto macros. The speed of weight loss on average was about the same between the two approaches.

My personal suggestion mirrors comments above. Start logging your food and drink intake carefully, and come to understand how many calories you are eating and what makes up a large portion of it. Then make modifications based on that knowledge.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Life for me is too short to try to give up bread, potatoes and pasta/rice.

Life's too short for me to cut out carbs. I'm meh on potatoes and rice. My husband kills for potatoes.

You should actually be given a proportion of pasta and sauce, 1/2 cup to 1 cup, and feel yourself up with vegetables (and panna cotta! :D )
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Eat protein (eggs, bacon, meat, and cheese) and a nice serving of vegetables for every meal.

No sugar, pasta, and rice on a good day. Only eat bread you make yourself ("keto" bread) and Sola or Carbonaut bread. No Franz or Orowheat "KETO Bread" -- it tastes awful and has a lot of carbohydrates.

A keto bread recipe.

Ingredients:

5 large eggs
    5 tbsps of melted coconut oil
    1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    7 oz blanched almond flour

Method:

In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs for 2 minutes, then add and mix in the remaining ingredients in order. You can either grease a loaf pan or use parchment and if using parchment have enough that you can use to remove the bread, which is what I do. In a preheated 350 oven bake until a skewer comes out clean which is generally around 30 minutes but check it may take longer, ovens vary. Place on a rack to cool. Cheers
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on any way of eating that helps you to create a calorie deficit. The best choice would be one you like and can sustain indefinitely.

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg

That said, if you have determined that keto is the best way of eating for you, I suggest you join the Low Carb group and read the keto info there: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum