A quick way to figure out your ideal weight!

Options
1235»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    LizC26 wrote: »
    Well I used a lean body mass calculator (Google)...and it said my lean body mass was 95lbs 95 x 1.2 is 114lbs....I've been 114 before, and it did not look good (sickly) I'm 5'4"...So unless there is some other way to calculate your lean body mass....This doesn't work for me..
    if your lean body mass is 95 and you want to be 20%, then:

95 divided by .80 =118.75lbs

So one of 2 things:

Either you have low muscle mass, or you want to have more body fat. At 25% bodyfat you'd weigh 126.6lbs

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    This is really helpful thank you for bumping this.

Also, for those ladies that are at odds with the number, remember you can go up to 25% BF, no shame in it. You know what feels the best and what you’re comfortable with. I personally feel like my lean muscle mass is low and this helped me create another mini goal outside of my ideal weight. Tools are what we make of them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,625 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

Also, for those ladies that are at odds with the number, remember you can go up to 25% BF, no shame in it. You know what feels the best and what you’re comfortable with. I personally feel like my lean muscle mass is low and this helped me create another mini goal outside of my ideal weight. Tools are what we make of them.

I don't think there's any shame above 25%, personally. Quite a few fairly mainstream sources suggest that the "ideal" body fat percent increases as we age, besides . . . some suggesting (unlike niner) that around 23-24% is the lower-fat end of ideal for women 35+ or 40+ y/o. Individuals can be consulting with their medical team about what's healthy for them (given personal health history), and aesthetics are absolutely personal.

As best as I can determine short of DEXA, I'm around 25% BF (at age 67). For sure, the way I look is thinner than many women would prefer aesthetically, especially in the upper body - I've been told so outright here ;) . . . and I probably have more muscle mass than average for my demographic (way short of bodybuilder status, though!). Yes, I've consulted my medical team; they think my current weight is fine health-wise.

• ddsb1111
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

I don't think there's any shame above 25%, personally. Quite a few fairly mainstream sources suggest that the "ideal" body fat percent increases as we age, besides . . . some suggesting (unlike niner) that around 23-24% is the lower-fat end of ideal for women 35+ or 40+ y/o. Individuals can be consulting with their medical team about what's healthy for them (given personal health history), and aesthetics are absolutely personal.

As best as I can determine short of DEXA, I'm around 25% BF (at age 67). For sure, the way I look is thinner than many women would prefer aesthetically, especially in the upper body - I've been told so outright here ;) . . . and I probably have more muscle mass than average for my demographic (way short of bodybuilder status, though!). Yes, I've consulted my medical team; they think my current weight is fine health-wise.

Oh I didn’t realize that! I was just going off the 20-25 that was written. Thanks for letting me know, and I agree there’s no shame in it whatsoever. I’ve been all over the map myself and I’m still the same person no matter what.

I’m the opposite of you, I look much heavier than I am. Just genetics and the way I carry it I suppose. I even had cellulite as an 11 year old. I’m just now coming to terms with this and wearing shorts. I gotta say, it’s pretty liberating not giving a *kitten* 😆 I really love my 40’s.
  • joandumas42
    joandumas42 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The formula works for me: At 153 lbs and height 5ft 2 inches, the calculator says lean body mass is 108 lbs. So for 20% fat, I divide 108 by .8 which equals 135 lbs. For 25% fat, 108 divided by .75 is 144 lbs, and i agree I should weigh between those numbers
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The formula works for me: At 153 lbs and height 5ft 2 inches, the calculator says lean body mass is 108 lbs. So for 20% fat, I divide 108 by .8 which equals 135 lbs. For 25% fat, 108 divided by .75 is 144 lbs, and i agree I should weigh between those numbers
    It works for any body type, athlete, frame, etc. That's why I like this formula. I learned it years and years ago when I first started as a trainer.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • chadsmitheast
    chadsmitheast Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lean body mass calculator ignores muscles. You can weigh a lot from muscles and still have low body fat, right?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It seems like a lean body mass calculator ignores muscles. You can weigh a lot from muscles and still have low body fat, right?
    Yes.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    Bump 😊