would adding 3lb ankle weights to dance workout burn more calories?

Options
i’ve decided that u want to add 3lb ankle weights while doing parts if aerobic dance workouts and in my mind this will help to improve my fitness faster, make the workout more difficult and burn more calories if i didn’t have the weights on.

is this true or is it pointless for me to do it? and would it improve my strength and maybe built musicale? probably not since it’s not doing reps.

please give your insights!!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    The very marginal additional calorie burn is hardly worth the risk of injury.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    attached weights + leverage (ankles for example) = higher chance of injury
    injury = lower calorie burn while sidelined
    injury = loss of fitness while sidelined
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    What they said: High risk of injury, low return in terms of added calorie burn. Not worth it.

You'd do much more for yourself by dancing a small bit longer, or more intensely.

It's possible to increase muscle by means other than lifting weights, but lifting weights is the fastest and most efficient route (still slow, though). If your aerobic dance is an exercise type thing (not artistic dance type stuff), maybe consider getting some resistance bands and using those during the exercises; or including some bodyweight exercises in the dance moves (like pushups, etc.) or something like that. (There are videos for that sort of thing.)

Even fast-paced weight lifting can be risky, let alone something like wrist/ankle weights that are at the end of your limbs plus can slip around a bit.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Your knees will hate you.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What they said: High risk of injury, low return in terms of added calorie burn. Not worth it.

You'd do much more for yourself by dancing a small bit longer, or more intensely.

It's possible to increase muscle by means other than lifting weights, but lifting weights is the fastest and most efficient route (still slow, though). If your aerobic dance is an exercise type thing (not artistic dance type stuff), maybe consider getting some resistance bands and using those during the exercises; or including some bodyweight exercises in the dance moves (like pushups, etc.) or something like that. (There are videos for that sort of thing.)

Even fast-paced weight lifting can be risky, let alone something like wrist/ankle weights that are at the end of your limbs plus can slip around a bit.

there’s always arms, abs, legs and glute body weight section and there’s parts of the workouts where there’s a lot of jumping dancing lunges of various degrees. do u think that will actually do anything?

i will go back to the gym to life heavy weights in a few months i just want to focus of my stamina and breathless friar and dance workouts are more fun in egebe
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

there’s always arms, abs, legs and glute body weight section and there’s parts of the workouts where there’s a lot of jumping dancing lunges of various degrees. do u think that will actually do anything?

i will go back to the gym to life heavy weights in a few months i just want to focus of my stamina and breathless friar and dance workouts are more fun in egebe

Yes, I think the bolded stuff will do something. To make best progress, the challenge needs to keep gradually (but safely) increasing. There are probably ways of progressing some of those moves (like deeper lunges, for example, as you're able to do that). You may also be able to use the internet to find progressions for some of the moves, for example if there are plank-type core exercises look up "plank progressions", or similar for other moves.

It'll be fine for good exercise now, to hold you over until you can get back to the gym. Stamina is more about going longer than going harder, usually.

Best wishes!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Worn weights (ankles, wrists, vests, backpacks) have their place in fitness, providing just a tad more resistance during certain movements of a controlled or repetitive manner. Think heavier pullups, or weighted packs during hikes. But dance, especially aerobic dance, is certainly not repetitive nor controlled (at least in terms of limited movement types/range). Constant changes in direction and balance are the hallmark of dancing, a fact which already is taxing on joints.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i have much better luck incorporating an aerobic step into my dance routines. i started with the step with no risers, so it was 4", and gradually worked up. my legs got noticeably stronger, a little more muscular, and my fitness increased using the step, as did my knee and ankle flexibility. at first, my heart rate soared, and i had to use the step less frequently, but over time, it got easier, and i can use the step frequently and sometimes add risers, too. btw, i keep track of my heart rate as i didn't want to overdo.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    DO NOT use ankle weights for any aerobic type workout. You can seriously impair the bones, ligaments and tendons in the area. And once you lose foot stability, it greatly affects everything else you do from walking, running, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    DO NOT use ankle weights for any aerobic type workout. You can seriously impair the bones, ligaments and tendons in the area. And once you lose foot stability, it greatly affects everything else you do from walking, running, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

yeah i’ll stop doing it for the next one although it didn’t feel bad but maybe bc i’m young and was lucky in that one instance
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options

trulyhealy wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

yeah i’ll stop doing it for the next one although it didn’t feel bad but maybe bc i’m young and was lucky in that one instance
    That's good. I've had to rehab people who ran or walked with ankle weights thinking it would be beneficial. Wearing a weight vest is different because the weight isn't carried directly on a joint.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png