Looking for a new program

Options
TL;DR whats the best workout for someone who can workout 2-3 times per week that combines strength/cardio/weight loss

Longer story:

I’m in my late 40s, overweight but down from max about 30 pounds give or take. After the initial weight loss a few years ago I've stagnated up and down in a 10 pound range. I fell like for optimal health I should be about 20 pounds lighter than I am now. Over the last few years I've basically done stronglifts and hit a wall due to either noncompliance (fell off wagon for a month and deloaded) or twice had an injury that made me stop for 2 months each time. I feel like the injuries (trochanter bursitis and strained foot tendon) were due to squatting either poor technique combined with having flat feet. I LOVE lifting though since unlike cardio you actually see benefits in the mirror quickly.

I feel like at this point I'd like to try something else. I do like working with free weights and I'm not opposed to treadmills. With my lifestyle it's hard to hit the gym more than 2-3 times a week but when I do go I have no problem spending 1-2 hours if needed.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing on a bag will do wonders for fitness, cardio, strength (based on how intense you are). I have several clients that train weights one day with me and then kickbox with me the other if they are training with me 2 times a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Maybe do full body resistance training twice a week, and the other time(s) do more high intensity cardio stuff like niner mentioned above.

If you are doing a lot of cardio, better to do it separate from the resistance training, to ensure you have enough energy for the latter.
  • BlackJack96
    BlackJack96 Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Maybe do full body resistance training twice a week, and the other time(s) do more high intensity cardio stuff like niner mentioned above.

If you are doing a lot of cardio, better to do it separate from the resistance training, to ensure you have enough energy for the latter.

Can you recommend a good whole body resistance workout that is 2 days a week.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Can you recommend a good whole body resistance workout that is 2 days a week.
    Sorry, no. I'm sure you'll find plenty of info via Google though. I assume you'd want something like, each day:

5-6 working sets (1 exercise, 2 at most) of some form of squat, incline bench press, and some form of row like barbell row. Then time permitting, add shoulders/arms as desired.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,627 Member
    Options
    This thread contains a variety of programs, perhaps one will fit your needs.