Hashimotos Mama's- where you at?

Options
Looking for other women that have been diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis to add as friends.
If you have it, you know it's a special kind of hard to lose weight and feel energized and good. I AM STRUGGLING hard right now, and feeling discouraged. 😣
I would love to have friends to bounce inspiration and encouragement and ideas off one another. Please feel free to send me a friend request.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I don't have hashimotos, but I had my thyroid radiated, so basically no longer have a functional thyroid and have to use synthetic. How long have you been diagnosed with it?
  • nickipick8169
    nickipick8169 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @sollyn23l2 ughhh... I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how difficult that is to manage 😔
    I was diagnosed about 14 years ago, but I find that now that I have begun perimenopause (I'm 40 next month) there is a whole new learning curve.
    Sending you a friend request!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    @sollyn23l2 ughhh... I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how difficult that is to manage 😔
    I was diagnosed about 14 years ago, but I find that now that I have begun perimenopause (I'm 40 next month) there is a whole new learning curve.

I'm 38, had my thyroid radiated a few years ago. Mostly just been about getting the right dosage, so pretty manageable now. You'll get it all figured out!
  • nickipick8169
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

I'm 38, had my thyroid radiated a few years ago. Mostly just been about getting the right dosage, so pretty manageable now. You'll get it all figured out!

Wow... I'm glad you're managing it so well! That's wonderful to hear. 😊

Thank you for the encouragement.
  • Kai_Yote
    Kai_Yote Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hashi homie here!! Got diagnosed about 8 years ago after being diagnosed hypo at 13 but never given meds till 25. I've been pretty stable on the medication for the last few years after getting set up with my naturopath and have removed gluten from my diet which has help tremendously in terms of relieving symptoms of fatigue and bloating. Happy to be support for you! It can be super tough getting the medication right, but once you do and eliminate foods that trigger fatigue symptoms you'll reach your goals :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    I'm severely hypothyroid (for 20ish years now), properly medicated, but not Hashi's as far as I know.

There's a very good thread here about hypothyroidism, written by a (former?) MFP-er who's a scientist in the field, himself hypothyroid, and who lost weight by calorie counting. Unlike many things on very iffy sites trying to sell their "cures", this has solid, science based information about hypothyroidism and weight management. It's here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I lost from class 1 obese to a healthy weight (about 1/3 of my bodyweight) back in 2015-16 at age 59-60, have been at a healthy weight since (after around 30 previous years of overweight/obesity). Since I'm properly medicated for hypo, that health condition didn't seem to present special obstacles to weight loss for me. Of course, weight loss isn't easy every minute for anyone - it's just that the nature of our individual challenges differs from one person to the next.

Best wishes for success - it can happen, and it's worth the effort for sure, IME!
  • nickipick8169
    Options
    Kai_Yote wrote: »
    Hashi homie here!! Got diagnosed about 8 years ago after being diagnosed hypo at 13 but never given meds till 25. I've been pretty stable on the medication for the last few years after getting set up with my naturopath and have removed gluten from my diet which has help tremendously in terms of relieving symptoms of fatigue and bloating. Happy to be support for you! It can be super tough getting the medication right, but once you do and eliminate foods that trigger fatigue symptoms you'll reach your goals :)

Awesome! I'm so glad you have figured out how to manage your symptoms and are doing well. That's really encouraging to hear.
    I have been gluten free too for many years, and now I'm working on reducing my dairy consumption, which I find much harder than gluten. Lol I've also reduced my coffee consumption to a cup a week as a "treat", which I do find is helping.
    I was going along, managing just fine for many years until this past year and I feel like I've hit a wall. My blood work just came back without any change. I think just the shift in hormones as i approach 40 in causing me to struggle with symptoms again. Any way, I'm working towards figuring it all out. It feels like I'm starting all over again. :/
    I am very interested in seeing a natural path doctor!! I'm so glad to hear you've found it helpful. I think that will need to be my next step.
  • nickipick8169
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm severely hypothyroid (for 20ish years now), properly medicated, but not Hashi's as far as I know.

There's a very good thread here about hypothyroidism, written by a (former?) MFP-er who's a scientist in the field, himself hypothyroid, and who lost weight by calorie counting. Unlike many things on very iffy sites trying to sell their "cures", this has solid, science based information about hypothyroidism and weight management. It's here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I lost from class 1 obese to a healthy weight (about 1/3 of my bodyweight) back in 2015-16 at age 59-60, have been at a healthy weight since (after around 30 previous years of overweight/obesity). Since I'm properly medicated for hypo, that health condition didn't seem to present special obstacles to weight loss for me. Of course, weight loss isn't easy every minute for anyone - it's just that the nature of our individual challenges differs from one person to the next.

Best wishes for success - it can happen, and it's worth the effort for sure, IME!

Holy smokes Ann... Thank you for sharing your story. It's very inspiring!
    And thank you for sharing the post. I'll read through it now. :)
  • Dom2118
    Dom2118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I’m new to posting on any of the MFP threads. I don’t have Hashi but I am a thyroid cancer survivor, has RAI, and now have no thyroid at all so on daily medication. Being healthy/managing weight is HARD and I’m about 60lbs overweight. You are not alone ❤️
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry not sure if I should post here as don't have Hashimoto's but have had an underactive thyroid since childhood and as such have struggled with weight since puberty. I'm happy with any progress and focusing more on fitness and also wish everyone here the best with their journeys in weight loss and health.

Looking at the comments here I have a lot of admiration for everyone sharing their struggles and stories with thyroid cancers and other thyroid diseases and you are all definitely an inspiring group. Wishing you all the best of luck!
  • nickipick8169
    Options
    Dom2118 wrote: »
    Hi!!! I’m new to posting on any of the MFP threads. I don’t have Hashi but I am a thyroid cancer survivor, has RAI, and now have no thyroid at all so on daily medication. Being healthy/managing weight is HARD and I’m about 60lbs overweight. You are not alone ❤️

Damn... you are fierce! You have gone through so much, and yet here you are, still fighting and pushing forward. What an inspiration. ❤️
  • nickipick8169
    Options
    ReReNotMe wrote: »
    Sorry not sure if I should post here as don't have Hashimoto's but have had an underactive thyroid since childhood and as such have struggled with weight since puberty. I'm happy with any progress and focusing more on fitness and also wish everyone here the best with their journeys in weight loss and health.

Looking at the comments here I have a lot of admiration for everyone sharing their struggles and stories with thyroid cancers and other thyroid diseases and you are all definitely an inspiring group. Wishing you all the best of luck!

You absolutely belong here! Thank you for sharing. ❤️
    This is exactly why I started this post. There is strength in coming together and saying, "Hey, you know what? Me too, and it's frickin hard", knowing that there are people out there that REALLY understand. Then the inspiration of seeing someone push forward and being able to learn from each other is priceless.