How do you like your eggs?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Last night we had eggs poached in Mama Woo's Minced Beef and Rice Bowls, and for lunch today, since there was leftover rice and beef, I microwaved that and fried another egg.

https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipes/mama-woos-minced-beef-and-rice-bowls-chef-ronnie-woo

v0akgl4cblog.png
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Okay, Brit here. Can someone explain what the “over easy sunny side up” means? Is that a fried egg with cooked whites and runny yolk? I’ve always wondered!

"over easy sunny side up" means you're talking to somebody who doesn't know what egg cooking terms mean. It's an oxymoron. Over easy means they've been flipped and cooked for just a little bit after flipping, so there's a thin pinky-white film over the still-runny yolks. Sunny side up means they haven't been flipped, and you're looking at the bright yellow still-runny yolk. It can't be both over easy and sunny side up.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    Okay, Brit here. Can someone explain what the “over easy sunny side up” means? Is that a fried egg with cooked whites and runny yolk? I’ve always wondered!

"over easy sunny side up" means you're talking to somebody who doesn't know what egg cooking terms mean. It's an oxymoron. Over easy means they've been flipped and cooked for just a little bit after flipping, so there's a thin pinky-white film over the still-runny yolks. Sunny side up means they haven't been flipped, and you're looking at the bright yellow still-runny yolk. It can't be both over easy and sunny side up.

No. It means the person who originally typed it used elipsis to convey what was in their head because they tend to type the way they think.

Sorry for the confusion, @claireychn074 :)
  • Amygeorgia1509
    Amygeorgia1509 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m boring I just like them poached on toast hahah
  • dozer60
    dozer60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Probably easier fo me to say how I don't like my eggs .... RAW....
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Multiple ways but my favorite has to be in loaded hashbrowns. Cook up some hashbrowns, add in whatever veggies you want, then crack in a couple eggs and scramble it all together. Top that with some ketchup and Siracha or other hot sauce.

That may be my lunches for next week now haha.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Or forgot, I'll kill me off a bowl of egg salad too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »
    Just made the omelette from "The Bear"

I made this tonight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4V8iSXLWqw

I think it was the fastest meal I've ever prepared for the two of us. All the little supermarket near me had in the way of boursin was the bites, but that allowed me to skip the piping step and just place them on.

3twklob9heek.png

I've loved boursin in other dishes, but the flavor was a little intense for an omelet. While I plan to put this in the rotation and think it will grow on us, I'm curious if cream cheese with chives would be less pungent.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

No. It means the person who originally typed it used elipsis to convey what was in their head because they tend to type the way they think.

Sorry -- I didn't realize that was a quote from earlier in the thread -- thought it was just a question from their own life, since they said "I've always wondered."
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

Sorry -- I didn't realize that was a quote from earlier in the thread -- thought it was just a question from their own life, since they said "I've always wondered."
    I have always wondered what the US cooking terms mean but I just quoted someone who had said it earlier on, and thought I’d grasp the opportunity! 😀 in the UK we just have - fried eggs. That’s it. They’re all cooked the same way. All with a. Cooked white and runny yolk. Same for poached eggs or soft boiled - whites firm but yolk runny.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    @ythannah and @Melwillbehealthy

I'm sorry I grossed the two of you out with maple syruppy goodness. :p

No worries, I can scroll quickly past the gross stuff :D

Forgot I do poached eggs a lot too. In the microwave. In fact, I've done them this way so often that I'm on my third microwave poacher doohickey.

This may form part of tomorrow night's supper...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I like my eggs infrequent, or deeply hidden (like in baked goods). Maybe hard boiled, pickled, sure. Or deviled. Never, ever runny, soft, creamy, moist, or the like: If cooked, must be scrambled hard/dry, or even lightly browned.

Most people, for my preferences, screw up deviled eggs, too: They're not supposed to be filled with yellow salve. I prefer to use just barely enough of something (Greek yogurt, lately) to hold the smashed-up yolks together, so the texture is more fluffy than goopy.
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I really like the “just crack and egg” cups. I don’t make them in the microwave like it’s called for but I make a scam now with all the stuff. They have a lot of varieties but I like the one with bacon cheese and potatoes I add two eggs and scramble! Yum and not super calorie dense
  • collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a primary staple for me especially when life gets busy. I have them for dinner at least twice a week. I often make either scrambled or over easy with toast with butter and strawberry jam on it, and a glass of milk.

All-time favorite way to make eggs is in a ham and cheese omelet!!!!!! 10/10 could eat every meal of every day!!!!!!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Not pickled and not raw - any other way works for me. If I am cooking them myself either sunny-side up or scrambled with meat and/or veg is the way that I usually do it.

My better half is not a fan but does like eggs and chorizo served as tacos.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    But eating them alone................scrambled with ketchup.

Not bad. Here on the West Coast it would be w/salsa, but about the same.

I have a "Horrible for the plant", non-stick pan. A small one. I put a dab of fat (butter, olive oil, grease, whatever) and slowly fry two eggs. I do a in-air flip, and lightly cook the other side for a few seconds.

I don't use that pan for anything else. It is a single purpose tool.

I can't deal with any over cooking, rubbery, browned bits. Just cooked enough to coagulate. Some salt and pepper.. et viola!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    The ultimate test for a chef. Cook an egg.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    I throw in eggs with my ramen. Basically poaching them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    scrambled with a little shredded cheddar scrambled in with it. i also like over medium eggs or boiled eggs, both with the white cooked and a soft yellow
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The ultimate test for a chef. Cook an egg.

Funny you say that. I've hired a lot of cooks and chefs throughout my career and the quick and easy is, if they aren't going to stage for a few days to get a feel for how a person cooks, understands food in general, hygiene, personality traits, food theory, that kind of thing, I'll get them to cook as part of the interview. I have quite a few testers that I use but in the context for this subject, eggs, I'll get them to make an omelet and a hollandaise sauce and I've used this for decades and it generally separates the cooks from the shoemakers, but I do keep it in context for the position I'm hiring them for as well. Cheers