Hot Sauces

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
Anybody have any favorites? Tabasco? Frank's Hot Sauce? Sriracha?

Do you prefer a particular sauce with a particular type of food?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    Anybody have any favorites? Tabasco? Frank's Hot Sauce? Sriracha?

Do you prefer a particular sauce with a particular type of food?

Sriracha, sweet chili sauce, gochujang. I seem to prefer the Asian ones 🤣
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Sriracha on rice, Tabasco on eggs and my home made salsa 🔥 on tacos and burritos
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @sollyn2312, thank you! I was actually asking partly because I recently got a stirfry sauce (from Wegmans) that I like, but it needs a bit of a kick. I added crushed red pepper flakes, but I was wondering if there was a liquid hot sauce that would go well with a stirfry.

@tomcustombuilder, I'll have to try sriracha on rice. Sounds delicious! Any chance you would share your salsa recipe?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Da Bomb: Beyond Insanity
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    @sollyn2312, thank you! I was actually asking partly because I recently got a stirfry sauce (from Wegmans) that I like, but it needs a bit of a kick. I added crushed red pepper flakes, but I was wondering if there was a liquid hot sauce that would go well with a stirfry.

@tomcustombuilder, I'll have to try sriracha on rice. Sounds delicious! Any chance you would share your salsa recipe?
    Roma Tomatoes
    Onion
    Cilantro
    Jalapeños
    Garlic
    1/2 of a cerrano for good measure 🔥
    Cumin
    Salt
    Chili powder
    Lime juice
    1 teaspoon sugar

Put all ingredients in food processor blend well. Tomatoes go in last and are not blended much so they stay a bit chunky

• PKM0515
    Options
    @tomcustombuilder, thank you for the recipe! I'm definitely going to give this a try. 😋

@_John_, thanks for the recommendation!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Oh lawd no...don't actually eat what I suggested (check out "Hot Ones" on youtube before touching that sauce).
  • PKM0515
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Oh lawd no...don't actually eat what I suggested (check out "Hot Ones" on youtube before touching that sauce).

Thanks for the warning! Looking at YouTube "reviews" now. (I think I'll pass on this one.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Fermented gochujang chile sauce
    Mrs. Renfro's Roasted Salsa
    Harissa
    Clancy's Fancy Hot Sauce
    Pickapeppa Sauce

I tend to like hot sauces that have some layers to the flavor, more than just hot or tomato-y and hot.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Almost all hot sauces have their place. I currently have 17 different ones open in my cupboard.

I’m currently loving a Truffle Hot Sauce on cheese or egg leaning dishes, an Avocado Hot Sauce on anything Mexican leaning.

Frank’s is always a go to - I have Original, Buffalo, Jalapeño and Chipotle open.

I have Tabasco - original, chipotle and jalapeño, but I use those as ingredients rather than condiments generally.

I use Gochujang a lot in cooking and also to mix with Skyr as a drizzle.

I also love an Ancho & Cumin Jamie Oliver hot sauce, again mixed in Skyr as a dipping sauce.

I do have a bottle of Sriracha, courtesy of my daughter who bought it but didn’t like it (she only started to use hot sauce after losing taste and smell with Covid, and Frank’s is her favourite option) but whilst I’ll use it up in recipes I’m not a fan either. There’s a weird backtaste with Sriracha that I’m not so keen on.

Oh and I also have a Fermented Lemon Hot Sauce and another Lemon one my other daughter brought home from Portugal recently. Both of these I love too! 🍋
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Tabasco for most stuff (eggs, pizza, Cajun, etc.)

For East Asian cuisines, I tend to build the heat while cooking (la you or hot oil, garlic sauce, infusing the cooking oil with dried peppers before cooking the food, etc.).

For southwestern/Tex-Mex, I use hot sauces made for those cuisines, like Cholula. I tend to prefer hot sauces that are mostly peppers and vinegar, without a whole lot of other ingredients or spices, although I occasionally go for a fruity sauce, like peach or mango.