Dieticians are awful!

Options
My dietician caused me to quit losing weight and start gaining after I worked sooo hard!!!

She said weight didn't matter. She said it didn't cause health problems. Then, told me to eat what I felt like and have a freezer full of junk and cupboards full of junk.

Apparently she is the top dietician in canada!!!
How are these people educated?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You encounter ONE bad dietitian and they are ALL awful?

I'm not sure in Canada, but in the US, if someone is a Registered Dietitian, they have significant training.
    A "nutritionist" is a murkier term, and no specific training is required.

Considering that you lost weight on your own, evaluate whether or not you need help from someone. If you do, just try someone else and check their credentials.
  • tishie1
    tishie1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I'm not sure in Canada, but in the US, if someone is a Registered Dietitian, they have significant training.

Considering that you lost weight on your own, evaluate whether or not you need help from someone. If you do, just try someone else and check their credentials.

I saw one of the top dieticians in Canada---apparently she teaches other dieticians at universities. They are all being trained in "intuitive eating" which means following your intuition and not calorie counting or weighing yourself.
  • tishie1
    tishie1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Dieticians aren't about weight loss. In fact, most dieticians would not encourage anyone to lose weight. You have to know the dietician. It sounds like your dietician was an intuitive eating dietitan... which is completely counter to weight loss. Dietician does not equal weight loss coach.

Thank you!! That makes sense. She was teaching intuitive eating.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. My cancer center's dietitian was a huge help to me when I needed dietary advice. Really excellent.

It's almost as if dietitians are unique individuals with different attitudes and skills, kind of like any other people.

Did she really tell you to fill your freezer and cupboards with junk? That would be . . . unusual, for sure.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    None of that sounds legit, imo of course.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If someone is overweight any credible dietician will produce a program that includes Fatloss in it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    My (USA) dietician was wonderful.

I didn’t expect her to provide weight loss counseling. I went in armed with a list of questions about nutrition, snacks, substitutions, every darn thing I could think of. She answered all my questions clearly and provided (pardon) food for thought, as well.

She also referred me to MFP.

I only had three visits with her. That time spent was worth its (pardon 😂) weight in gold, but it was sorta up to me to determine what I needed to know, or ask for help sending me down certain rabbit holes.

Reading these boards here religiously also helped me formulate more questions for the follow up visits, so I could get more out of them.

I think she appreciate a patient coming in with a menu of questions that challenged her, versus sitting there slack jawed and complaining about something she certainly couldn’t fix without me willing to have skin in the game.

Btw, I still learn new stuff here all the time. Like when my husband crowed about the “lower cal” tuna on the shelf yesterday, I was able to quote @ninerbuff ’s gobsmacking post about seasonal differences in canned tuna calories. He just looked at me like “shut your mouth!!!!” before putting several multipacks of the lower calorie cans in the basket.

In short, my dietician visits were A#1
    and I’ve recommended them to others here every opportunity I’ve had. Not nutritionists, dieticians, mind you.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    WOW..your dietician went to the store with you and forced you to buy junk food!!! AND then sat in your kitchen and forced you to eat it all causing you to stop losing weight!!!
    How horrid!!! It's all her fault!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    OP posted in another thread that she was losing successfully, and thought a dietician could help her continue. This one came highly recommended but was a strong proponent of “intuitive eating”.

For me, if I ate “intuitively”, my butt cheeks would merge with the sofa foam. Apparently, though, that’s the coming thing. I’m seeing all kinds of articles about it all over my Apple News feed.

And apparently, if you combine semiglutides with intuitive eating, you’ll be a marvel of shapeliness in no time at all. According to these articles.

It’s like any other medical profession. Sometimes you have to tilt your head like the dog and say “what did I just hear?”
  • sibilantstorm
    sibilantstorm Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    tishie1 wrote: »

I saw one of the top dieticians in Canada---apparently she teaches other dieticians at universities. They are all being trained in "intuitive eating" which means following your intuition and not calorie counting or weighing yourself.

I think that the issue here is more style than qualifications. Intuitive eating programs were developed to counter the recent trends towards eating disorders, but for those of us who are outside of our body's healthy weight range, intuitive eating may not be such a great solution. You CAN lose weight on it, but it deals, first and foremost, with developing a healthy relationship with food, and for many people, that can mean gaining weight before your intuition starts guiding you in the right direction. And if you have a lifetime of food-related dysfunction, like I did, and a body that is in danger, like I also did, the long, slow, often up-and-down approach can be problematic. I didn't have the luxury of doing that. I had 7 stents in my arteries after 4 heart attacks, and was over 450 lbs. I needed another kind of approach.

I found a really GOOD dietician, recommended by a medical Bariatric physician and my therapist (who was helping me to deal with 50 years of disordered eating, which, you know, 450 lbs... I definitely had some issues), and that was a good solution for -me-. They helped me learn a lot, but it also required that I have a good idea of what options were out there to make sure that I sought out a professional who was what I needed. A good education is great, but if that education and practice aren't what the recipient needs to be healthy, then the professional isn't going to do you any good at all.

For me, the changes I had to make seem very extreme to a lot of people, and many of my friends and family freaked out, because they'd never lived with the recommendations that my dietician, in concert with my neurologist, a good therapist, my internist, and cardiologist's recommendations, got me started with. On the other hand, the changes have completely changed my life, and, for the first time in twenty years, I am losing weight almost -easily-... unless you count the care with which I have to live each day to keep it that way. But still, for me, it seems almost painless after 50 years of fighting my own body.

I hope you find the right professional for you, to help you maintain the hard work that you've already done, and help you take the next steps to even more improvement.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I've encountered the "intuitive eating" approach in some dietitian-driven contexts, too . . . but in the cases I've seen, it's been paired with a pretty strong recommendation to focus on lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meat/fish; limit added sugars; increase protein; limit ultra-processed foods; and that sort of thing.

For example, the eating side of AARP's current weight management recommendations for seniors is structured that way. (There's a book and a web site.)

"Intuitive eating" coupled with "fill your cupboards/freezer with junk food" is a variation I hadn't seen, at least not attributed to dietitians, until just now.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've encountered the "intuitive eating" approach in some dietitian-driven contexts, too . . . but in the cases I've seen, it's been paired with a pretty strong recommendation to focus on lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meat/fish; limit added sugars; increase protein; limit ultra-processed foods; and that sort of thing.

For example, the eating side of AARP's current weight management recommendations for seniors is structured that way. (There's a book and a web site.)

"Intuitive eating" coupled with "fill your cupboards/freezer with junk food" is a variation I hadn't seen, at least not attributed to dietitians, until just now.

One if the steps of intuitive eating is that you must keep at least one of your "trigger" foods in your house and available at all times, and give yourself unfettered access and permission to eat it.

1. Reject the Diet Mentality
    Throw out the diet books and magazine articles that offer you the false hope of losing weight quickly, easily, and permanently. Get angry at diet culture that promotes weight loss and the lies that have led you to feel as if you were a failure every time a new diet stopped working and you gained back all of the weight. If you allow even one small hope to linger that a new and better diet or food plan might be lurking around the corner, it will prevent you from being free to rediscover Intuitive Eating.

2. Honor Your Hunger
    Keep your body biologically fed with adequate energy and carbohydrates. Otherwise you can trigger a primal drive to overeat. Once you reach the moment of excessive hunger, all intentions of moderate, conscious eating are fleeting and irrelevant. Learning to honor this first biological signal sets the stage for rebuilding trust in yourself and in food.

3. Make Peace with Food
    Call a truce; stop the food fight! Give yourself unconditional permission to eat. If you tell yourself that you can’t or shouldn’t have a particular food, it can lead to intense feelings of deprivation that build into uncontrollable cravings and, often, bingeing. When you finally “give in” to your forbidden foods, eating will be experienced with such intensity it usually results in Last Supper overeating and overwhelming guilt.

4. Challenge the Food Police
    Scream a loud no to thoughts in your head that declare you’re “good” for eating minimal calories or “bad” because you ate a piece of chocolate cake. The food police monitor the unreasonable rules that diet culture has created. The police station is housed deep in your psyche, and its loudspeaker shouts negative barbs, hopeless phrases, and guilt-provoking indictments. Chasing the food police away is a critical step in returning to Intuitive Eating.

5. Discover the Satisfaction Factor
    The Japanese have the wisdom to keep pleasure as one of their goals of healthy living. In our compulsion to comply with diet culture, we often overlook one of the most basic gifts of existence—the pleasure and satisfaction that can be found in the eating experience. When you eat what you really want, in an environment that is inviting, the pleasure you derive will be a powerful force in helping you feel satisfied and content. By providing this experience for yourself, you will find that it takes just the right amount of food for you to decide you’ve had “enough.”

6. Feel Your Fullness
    In order to honor your fullness, you need to trust that you will give yourself the foods that you desire. Listen for the body signals that tell you that you are no longer hungry. Observe the signs that show that you’re comfortably full. Pause in the middle of eating and ask yourself how the food tastes, and what your current hunger level is.

7. Cope with Your Emotions with Kindness
    First, recognize that food restriction, both physically and mentally, can, in and of itself, trigger loss of control, which can feel like emotional eating. Find kind ways to comfort, nurture, distract, and resolve your issues. Anxiety, loneliness, boredom, and anger are emotions we all experience throughout life. Each has its own trigger, and each has its own appeasement. Food won’t fix any of these feelings. It may comfort for the short term, distract from the pain, or even numb you. But food won’t solve the problem. If anything, eating for an emotional hunger may only make you feel worse in the long run. You’ll ultimately have to deal with the source of the emotion.

8. Respect Your Body
    Accept your genetic blueprint. Just as a person with a shoe size of eight would not expect to realistically squeeze into a size six, it is equally futile (and uncomfortable) to have a similar expectation about body size. But mostly, respect your body so you can feel better about who you are. It’s hard to reject the diet mentality if you are unrealistic and overly critical of your body size or shape. All bodies deserve dignity.

9. Movement—Feel the Difference
    Forget militant exercise. Just get active and feelthe difference. Shift your focus to how it feels to move your body, rather than the calorie-burning effect of exercise. If you focus on how you feel from working out, such as energized, it can make the difference between rolling out of bed for a brisk morning walk or hitting the snooze alarm.

10. Honor Your Health—Gentle Nutrition
    Make food choices that honor your health and taste buds while making you feel good. Remember that you don’t have to eat perfectly to be healthy. You will not suddenly get a nutrient deficiency or become unhealthy, from one snack, one meal, or one day of eating. It’s what you eat consistently over time that matters. Progress, not perfection, is what counts.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options

That is true in Canada as well.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    tishie1 wrote: »

It was my intuition that got me to 262 pounds with an increasingly bad HA1c. If that is what they are teaching, it sounds like they have bought in wholeheartedly to the extreme fat acceptance thinking that will only lead to people having worse health markers and being medicated and hospitalised more and more.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I would Iive intuitively on chocolate cake and pizza and cheese burgers
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 913 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I think when it comes to doctors, dieticians, fitness coaches.. etc everyone had to be vetted and even after that —it has to be a good fit between practitioner and client.

If they aren’t serving your purpose or helping you achieve your goals. Time to move on to someone who does support your health goals.

I’ve had some wonderful top rate doctors , 1 an unethical traumatic disaster and another practitioner that made me chase her down for communication. I keep close to the cream of the crop and have to ditch the rest immediately.

This coming from someone who is in a family of doctors and who has access to world class facilities.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    There is a perfect lab and there is real life. All of the above absolutely can work! I can guarantee that I can (after losing a good 125 lb and maintaining it for a while) intuitively tell when I'm overeating. And I can intuitively tell you that it does nothing to stop my overeating. For that matter, neither does counting calories. Counting calories does give me the ability though to manage my intuitive overeating when I can marshall the resources to do so. And the fact that I've chosen to do things that I can mostly live with in order to lose and maintain my weight means that I've mostly been successful in achieving both since I found MFP in November 2014... more than 8 and 1/2 years ago. My house is full of junk food and candy. And today I took a scale with me on my renewed quest of sampling McDonald's inconsistent servings of vanilla cones to better gauge what I log! One was 198 g and one 158g, coming in at 375 and 301 calories respectively versus the expected Canadian listed 240 Cal. And I also eat lower calorie stuff. And I log. And I'm active. And I feel happy to be doing all. Because otherwise I would be obese.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The only thing intuitive about human's consumption of food for millennia has been, there isn't much of it, it's hard to get and requires a lot of energy for that endeavor, so you better eat all you can find which subsequently we've adapted a way to store a lot of energy because of simple needs like, survival of the species.

The basic fundamentals have changed and now we actually don't need to leave the house and have all the food we want with the beautiful and colorful packaging and all that tasty goodness that we humans through many years of research have figured out what foods go right to our primitive little brain and give us that warm and fuzzy feeling but have turned most into little mac men devouring everything in sight, except the food on the exterior of the house, ironic really. Yes, I'm exaggerating somewhat and no we're not actually pac men.

Those diseases we associate with this behavior are not actually diseases but are the consequences of that abuse with the body trying to mitigate that damage over decades in some cases by all means possible, to extend our health span. Unfortunately children are now the arbitrators of our fate, which isn't giving that warm and fuzzy feeling at all imo. Cheers