Low impact workouts

Options
Hi. What are some low impact workouts for me to do. I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my lower back and I need a knee replacement.

Replies

• mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you are getting back into it or just starting perhaps ask your doctor and go from there.
  • gonoles9987
    gonoles9987 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    mkcmurphy wrote: »
    If you are getting back into it or just starting perhaps ask your doctor and go from there.

Thank you
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Rowing, cycling, and swimming are low impact. Some people will recommend Tai Chi, but it can be problematic with knee issues, as some styles will turn on a weighted knee, which doesn't work for my particular knee issues (OA and a torn meniscus). A gentle yoga class might work, especially if you can find one with an instructor experienced in or at least sensitive to needs for adaptation for people with limitations. There are various seated exercise videos on YouTube, of varying levels of intensity, from super gentle for rehab, to suitable for wheelchair athletes.

With your physical issues, can you get a referral from your doctor to a physical therapist for assessment and rehab exercises? IME, those folks are also willing to discuss what workout modalities are suitable or risky given one's particular physical issues.
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rowing, cycling, and swimming are low impact. Some people will recommend Tai Chi, but it can be problematic with knee issues, as some styles will turn on a weighted knee, which doesn't work for my particular knee issues (OA and a torn meniscus). A gentle yoga class might work, especially if you can find one with an instructor experienced in or at least sensitive to needs for adaptation for people with limitations. There are various seated exercise videos on YouTube, of varying levels of intensity, from super gentle for rehab, to suitable for wheelchair athletes.

With your physical issues, can you get a referral from your doctor to a physical therapist for assessment and rehab exercises? IME, those folks are also willing to discuss what workout modalities are suitable or risky given one's particular physical issues.

Thanks so much. I'll look into all this.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics, if they're offered near you, are easy on the joints. The water provides natural resistance and you can do your own pace.
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    Aqua aerobics, if they're offered near you, are easy on the joints. The water provides natural resistance and you can do your own pace.

Thank you. I'll check it out
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disk disease in my back as well. Cycling has been my saving grace! Also, I love to do yoga and Pilates, which helps to keep the joints limber. And don't forget walking!!
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    I have degenerative disk disease in my back as well. Cycling has been my saving grace! Also, I love to do yoga and Pilates, which helps to keep the joints limber. And don't forget walking!!

Thank you