LESS Alcohol ~ AUGUST 2023 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• mfowler883
    mfowler883 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    On a side not I started counting my calories and gave up the daily drinking on July 31st. Today I am 10lbs down. Its incredible what one can do when they have the right mindset... :)

2more lbs to go to get to my goal weight.

That's awesome. Doesn't it feel great when you start to see the results?

-m
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Mon 8/14: AF

Tue 8/15: Drinks (1) - I had a an IPA last night after dinnier but stopped at one and skipped the late night snacking. Not exactly the plan but I still count it as a win.

My weight was down this morning several pounds (yay!). I worked out this morning (spin bike, stretch and weights). I've also been doing IF and skipping the snacking between meals. My food and drink challenge starts tomorrow. Friends are coming for the weekend. Can't wait to see them.

Rolling Total: 5 AF Days out of 16
  • RockinRobyn672
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    AF = 14
    A = 2

Next major hurdle will be a party at my bro in laws this Saturday.

This will be the first time I am with my wife's heavy drinking family. I can't wait for them to look at me like I'm an alien when I tell them I gave up drinking to gain my health back. :)

On a side not I started counting my calories and gave up the daily drinking on July 31st. Today I am 10lbs down. Its incredible what one can do when they have the right mindset... :)

2more lbs to go to get to my goal weight.

@xbowhunter When you get that "alien" look, you can mention your weight loss and how much better you feel (lol). You could actually be a good influence on someone. :smiley:
  • mfowler883
    Options
    mfowler883 wrote: »
    I guess I've been gone for a hot minute. It's been a rough year. Some of you probably recall I began struggling as I nursed Bentley (my schnau-tzu) through his final days in March, and finally said goodbye. My life has been spiraling out of control since then. As June drew to a close, Harley (my shih-tzu) grew ill and lymphoma took him from me. All I could think was, can't I have a minute to catch my breath before you hit me again? He was my baby for 13 years and the loss has crushed me.

@mfowler883 Welcome back and I'm so sorry that you also lost Harley and so soon after Bentley. I also have been gone for a couple tough months. July for me was a digression into old drinking and eating habits, along with a weight gain. I've been back since the beginning of August. It's so good to be back. I've missed everyone. I have been struggling to meet my LA goals for August. They were pretty aggressive so I've stepped back a little.

Seems like it's been a year, huh....sorry to hear you've been facing challenges as well, but glad you're getting back on track! Good to see ya around. I'm not even worrying about specific goals yet, just trying to figure out where I'm at and where I need to be and make steps in that direction.

-m
  • RockinRobyn672
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @mfowler883 I'm glad you have Bella (just saw that post). She's beautiful. We also have a rescue kitty who has stolen our hearts. Five years ago in October, we rescued this scrawny 4-week old kitten running around by herself on the road and in the rain at my mom's. She had and gave us ringworm! It's not a very feminine name but we call her Sport. Here is a recent photo of her reaching up for attention at my desk.
    9kevsc73awac.jpg
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    @mfowler883 ...Welcome back !!
    Odd, I'm waiting for an ALDI's order this week to get some whole milk to make paneer. Did you use vinegar, lemon or yogurt for your curds ?? I'll probably try lemon since I have some on hand to make baked lemon ricotta tomorrow. That will totally blow any diet rules...I can eat that stuff with a spoon.

Ahh, Sport, I know that look well..."It's been a full 2 hours since you gave me treats or pets...C'mon, hooman".

After midnight , so this day is in the AF column. Pay no attention to my computer clock, it's on Louisiana time.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    11 - AF
    5 - A
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Love all the animal pics this week! Our furry friends certainly are beloved and special!
    Congrats on the WL @RockinRobyn672 and @xbowhunter!

My big challenge ahead is a long road trip with DH heading north to the PNW and beyond to dive into nature and camp in our travel trailer. In the past, I pretty much had wine every night but want this trip to be different! I became very aware of this old habit when on vacay and found myself buying the cute little mini wine cans at the market yesterday. I curbed the quantity I picked up, so yes, chose LA and kept my goals in mind. I will also be taking my favorite sparkling waters to make spritzers.

I’ll be offline for part of my vacation but hope to check in when I can.
    Wishing everyone their best resolve for the remainder of August!

August AF goal: 19 days
    Totals: AF Days - 8
    A - 8
  • mfowler883
    Options
    So I made it through the day and went to bed without a drink last night for the first time in a while. AF=1, A=15.
    @mfowler883 ...Welcome back !!
    Odd, I'm waiting for an ALDI's order this week to get some whole milk to make paneer. Did you use vinegar, lemon or yogurt for your curds ?? I'll probably try lemon since I have some on hand to make baked lemon ricotta tomorrow. That will totally blow any diet rules...I can eat that stuff with a spoon.

Ahh, Sport, I know that look well..."It's been a full 2 hours since you gave me treats or pets...C'mon, hooman".

After midnight , so this day is in the AF column. Pay no attention to my computer clock, it's on Louisiana time.

Thanks! For the paneer, none of the above - I find that I can buy paneer at the Indo-Pak grocery that is every bit as good or better than what I can make, and not much difference in cost but far less effort. The whole approach to these dishes was crank out as much food as I can with minimal prep, so a lot of canned, dried or frozen ingredients. The first day of cooking, I realized that my wife had bought fresh okra for the aloo bindhi masala. I looked at it and said no way am I washing, drying, chopping something that I can dump out of a bag straight into the pan. Saag paneer, I've made with fresh spinach and it's a little better, but for the amount of work involved, I'm going straight to the frozen chopped spinach. I look at it as, my time has value, and before I spend the whole day cooking when I could be doing other things, I'll go eat at Govinda's again. We did the math and realized we could literally eat there seven days a week for about the same as it would cost us to cook every night. The big advantage to cooking at home is portion control - I can only eat what I've prepared, there's no going back for a second trip down the buffet line.

That's my take on it, anyway.

-m

• RockinRobyn672
    Options
    Mon 8/14: AF
    Tue 8/15: Drinks (1)
    Wed 8/16: Drinks (2)
    Thu 8/17: Our friends arrive today. I usually eat and drink more when hanging out with them because we dine out a lot and do the touristy things. I'm not setting goals while they're here but am going to try to stay somewhat disciplined. I don't want to gain back the weight that I've recently lost. Once they leave on Sunday, we're heading to Florida. Our house there is getting a new roof from hurricane Ian damage. Florida is always a challenge at first. It always feels like vacation there.

Rolling Total: 4 AF Days out of 17
  • RockinRobyn672
    Options
    @Michieb125 Wishing you a wonderful road trip and vacation in the PNW!