Is this a healthy size for a woman?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I really like the second picture, top left. 15%? I think she looks amazing, strong and beautiful but I feel like most of my family would bully me if I got that small. Mostly because I haven't been that size since I was like 11 and they are used to seeing me as a big girl. I feel like they are okay with other family members, friends or strangers being that size, but for me it is unacceptable.

Seems like a lot of people are reading the "11 [years old]" reference differently than I am.

I read this as the OP aspires to 15% BF because she likes the aesthetic BUT her family would bully her because they haven't seen her at that size since she was 11.

NOT that she wants to get back to the shape she was when she was 11.

I'm not taking a stand for or against 15% just that the OP's goal example is a picture of an adult women so I find all the replies mentioning her 11 year old self as a goal to be odd and not what I read her as saying.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If someone brings it up, give a brief boring answer or deflect, then change the subject.)

Or begin extolling the virtues of calorie counting. Never fails to make their eyes glaze and make them anxious for a change of subject!

Um, you do you . . . but I think that's how I got in the argument with someone about how it was "impossible to lose weight without going low carb", because she had "read all the books over the Winter, and they all said so". (What had I done over the Winter? Lost many pounds, and she'd seen me do it.)

I'm sticking with "avoid talking about weight loss". 🤣
    I'm the same for the same reason. Everyone's an expert beacuse they read something somewhere, especially its carbs that make you fat. I just don't even get into discussions. You go into the "When you lower carbs you lower calories" convo and it's just an argument at that point then it's wow how about that Dodger game laast night!

• xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the "what if's" now. As you get closer to your goal, you will have a better idea of what is reasonable for you, and if your family disagrees, then deal with it then. Remember that everyone is different. Even if you have the same body fat% as the person in the picture, it may look different on you. When you get close to your goal, you will have a better idea of what weight is realistic and what you will be happy with. If you are questioning at that point, consult a physician or a nutritionist.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just to clear up any confusion, when I was 11, I was like 5'5 and 70kg. Much heavier than the other kids.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,804 Member
    Options
    Just to clear up any confusion, when I was 11, I was like 5'5 and 70kg. Much heavier than the other kids.

But you’re not that person any more! I’ve been watching your awesome posts!!!!
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I’ve been watching your awesome posts!!!!

Aww thanks, you're so nice! I always enjoy reading what you have to say
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,734 Member
    Options
    Do what makes YOU HAPPY, HEALTHY AND FEE GOOD! Family, friends should support you. I had that problem but once I maintained they stopped
    Nobody should discourage you from reaching your goals. Be healthy and happy. Maybe they will come around and want to join you even.
    Do others care about YOUR opinion? Dies anyone consult you for what you feel about thier health, weight etc?
  • lucytalbot94
    lucytalbot94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP said it right!

First of all, you are beautiful, you in that gorgeous dress made me smile <3

If you want to lose weight because it makes you feel better about yourself that that is your choice, you shouldn't continue to feel unhappy with you appearance due to somebody else's opinion.

That being said, no weight is healthy unless it is maintained via a healthy diet and lifestyle. As long as you are being sensible about how you lose the weight and then maintain it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 15% BF.

You don't need to push back against anybody, as such, perhaps just start out on this exciting journey of self discovery and change, and if they ask, you could just tell them you're trying to get healthier, or you're made some lifestyle changes and you like how you feel.

Failing that, you have lots of supporters here to keep cheering you on, you go girl!
  • AnnF99
    AnnF99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Say you'll be happier, healthier, and more confident if you lose a certain amount of pounds (if that's really what you want). Doesn't your family want to see you happy and healthy? Of course they want