Fasting

Options
Does anyone have any insight on this. I want to try. Just in the evening. Like from 6pm til 6am

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    If you have an issue with late night snacking it'll help with that.
  • bren1969
    bren1969 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing intermittent fasting (IF) I LOVE IT! I am fasting 16 hrs, with an 8 hour eating window. I did start though for a week or so at 12:12, then moved to 14:10, and now just starting 16:8. I feel so much better, I also am doing low carb, as that works for me. I have lost 15 pounds, in about 3 weeks. While I know this rate of loss may not continue, but I have over 200 pounds to lose, so I am ok with it.

I know not everyone is a fan of IF. There are alot if doctors/ nutritionists on You Tube, as well as articles etc on Google. As well as apps for tracking your time, etc. I personally like Dr. Jason Fung and Autum Bates on You Tube.

All you can do is try it for a little bit, and see if it works for you. Just start slow, and build up. I wish you the best!

Good luck!
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I did intermittent fasting…me and my husband used to go on walks in the morning round the park and then to Tesco and buy our salads to sit and eat in the park :)
    We lost a lot of weight back then so it does work :)

The weather hasn’t been that great here this summer to do the walking though
    I plan to do it again when I come back from my holiday xx
  • jrmint29
    jrmint29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend it! It helped reset my hunger signals and I always felt great when I was doing it. Gives your digestive system a break.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,938 Member
    Options
    Stuffing food down our throats for less than 15 hours a day is now called intermittent fasting, and who knows, it might allow some people to consume less food, lol. Cheers
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Stuffing food down our throats for less than 15 hours a day is now called intermittent fasting, and who knows, it might allow some people to consume less food, lol. Cheers

You know the term breakfast? It originates because people considered it "breaking their fast" when they woke up and started eating again. So they considered it fasting a long, long time ago.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

You know the term breakfast? It originates because people considered it "breaking their fast" when they woke up and started eating again. So they considered it fasting a long, long time ago.

I was talking about dinnerfast, that old last meal of the day, lol. Cheers
  • AnnF99
    AnnF99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the benefits of intermittent fasting and I don't think it's necessary for people to starve themselves and suffer.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Fasting doesn't work for me.

If I consume 1500calories over a 24hr period broken up in 2 meals or 4 or 5 meals it still = 1500calories.

So why would I want to starve myself?

I break my calories up in to 4 or 5 small meals per day and find this eliminates those nasty hunger pangs that may cause me to over consume... :)
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2023
    Options
    IF doesn't really have anything to do with calories, it's about when you eat. If compressing total calories into less overall time makes a person feel they're starving, that might be time to think about what is consumed and how satiety might be increased. IF does however help some people eat less overall. Cheers
  • garybenoak
    garybenoak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »

If I consume 1500calories over a 24hr period broken up in 2 meals or 4 or 5 meals it still = 1500calories.

I break my calories up in to 4 or 5 small meals per day and find this eliminates those nasty hunger pangs that may cause me to over consume... :)

Because fasting isn't only about the amount you eat. If it was, you'd be right. Digestion, sleep, and how they interact is a major part of the benefits.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 790 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I prefer to have a small eating window (do IF) and I’m never “starving”. Without it I constantly think about food and feel an annoying phantom hunger.

If you choose to have 11, 5, 3, or 1 meal a day, I don’t care as long as you’re healthy and it works for your lifestyle. Variety is the spice of life and that’s kind of the point- What diet and lifestyle can you adhere to, reach your goals, and maintain in the long run? That’s the one that’s right for you.

If you feel starving doing IF then I understand why you don’t do it, but believing it doesn’t work is perplexing me. It’s just an eating window using the same amount of calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options

Yes, this is what I do.

On these threads I've been saying I IF 12:12. It was meant to be ironic, but I see MFP considers it an actual "fasting pattern":

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/10983207647117-Intermittent-Fasting-FAQ#h_01GK5NZ4NFM180QGQKXPPRXMS0
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options

I eat 2 main meals a day (lunchtime and dinner). A little snacking in between. I NEVER starve. I eat my last snack usually around 10:30pm-11:30pm and won't eat again till after 12pm. And I workout first thing in the morning around 5am.

It's just something you adapt to when you do it consistently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I understand why there are all these responses. IF doesn’t work for everyone, but it certainly doesn’t involve any form of starvation, so it’s hard to leave that unaddressed.

I don’t subscribe to IF but perhaps I do it without meaning to, as I eat only two meals and no snacks (a late breakfast and a dinner). There is no starvation, I can assure you. I eat my breakfast then I’m solid till dinner. I eat my dinner and I’m solid till breakfast.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't. I basically crash if there's too much time between meals and can't get up in the morning when the last meal was too long ago. But each their own.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Since the poster who mentioned starving (and hunger pangs) was very clear that he was talking about his own individual experience, I am baffled about all the pushback he is getting.

I would find OMAD disgusting for me, but feel no need to invalidate those people who do enjoy it, or to invalidate people who get hunger pangs if they don't spread their meals out.