Options
2»

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 736 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Since the poster who mentioned starving (and hunger pangs) was very clear that he was talking about his own individual experience, I am baffled about all the pushback he is getting.

I would find OMAD disgusting for me, but feel no need to invalidate those people who do enjoy it, or to invalidate people who get hunger pangs if they don't spread their meals out.

I don’t think anyone is saying they can’t speak for themselves here. In this statement (not calling out the poster for this quote btw) they are assuming “people” starve-

I don't believe in the benefits of intermittent fasting and I don't think it's necessary for people to starve themselves and suffer.

For those of us that do IF it makes sense to express that we don’t starve. We don’t care if you or anyone else chooses not to do OMAD or any type of IF. It’s the assumption that people starve that we disagreed with. I’m not sure if I’m reading your tone wrong or not but you seem a little upset by this and I can’t find where anyone was disrespectful in their response.
  • cszulc
    cszulc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Supposedly the benefits of fasting really kickstart in the 16 hour timeframe, so I am not sure other than controlling late night snacking what 12 hours will do.

I have experimented with IF. It was easier when I worked in the office and could just go walk during lunch. Now, food is too much of a temptation and I find myself gorging and bingeing when I do a 16-20 hour fast, deleting all the benefits.

Now, I like to do fasted cardio in the AM before eating breakfast. Sometimes I'll go to 10am from 6p the night before. Fasted cardio has some benefits I'd encourage you to look up.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My neurologist recommended I fast for 12 hours a day because some studies have shown it helps with inflammation. 12 hours comes pretty natural now.
  • dianeEESI
    dianeEESI Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing it for 6 weeks, I received high ( prediabetic ) blood sugar numbers in July and just have committed to it. I read, The diabetes code by Dr Jason Fung and he recommends it to bring down your numbers and get your system working efficiently again. I do 24 hours mwf, then 16/8 on the others days. I’m also not eating sugar and keeping my net carbs under 45. I’m down 14 pounds, and will get my bloodwork done in another 6 weeks. I’m drinking 80 ounces of water and have black coffee in the morning. I don’t find it difficult and like to think of the fasting time as my insides repairing themselves. I’m 62 5’3, SW was 181 currently 167 and also in permanent afib so I need to get myself together!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Since the poster who mentioned starving (and hunger pangs) was very clear that he was talking about his own individual experience, I am baffled about all the pushback he is getting.

I would find OMAD disgusting for me, but feel no need to invalidate those people who do enjoy it, or to invalidate people who get hunger pangs if they don't spread their meals out.

I don’t think anyone is saying they can’t speak for themselves here. In this statement (not calling out the poster for this quote btw) they are assuming “people” starve-

I don't believe in the benefits of intermittent fasting and I don't think it's necessary for people to starve themselves and suffer.

For those of us that do IF it makes sense to express that we don’t starve. We don’t care if you or anyone else chooses not to do OMAD or any type of IF. It’s the assumption that people starve that we disagreed with. I’m not sure if I’m reading your tone wrong or not but you seem a little upset by this and I can’t find where anyone was disrespectful in their response.

Oh, I see what happened. I thought people were reacting to this post, and twisting what he said, which was very clearly about his own experience:
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Fasting doesn't work for me.

If I consume 1500calories over a 24hr period broken up in 2 meals or 4 or 5 meals it still = 1500calories.

So why would I want to starve myself?

I break my calories up in to 4 or 5 small meals per day and find this eliminates those nasty hunger pangs that may cause me to over consume... :)

If they were in fact reacting to the post you bolded, which was by someone else, I withdraw my objection.

I do object to you characterizing me as "upset" after me saying that I was "baffled." :lol:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

Oh, I see what happened. I thought people were reacting to this post, and twisting what he said, which was very clearly about his own experience:
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Fasting doesn't work for me.

If I consume 1500calories over a 24hr period broken up in 2 meals or 4 or 5 meals it still = 1500calories.

So why would I want to starve myself?

I break my calories up in to 4 or 5 small meals per day and find this eliminates those nasty hunger pangs that may cause me to over consume... :)

If they were in fact reacting to the post you bolded, which was by someone else, I withdraw my objection.

I do object to you characterizing me as "upset" after me saying that I was "baffled." :lol:

That bolded one is the one I was responding to.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    dianeEESI wrote: »
    I’ve been doing it for 6 weeks, I received high ( prediabetic ) blood sugar numbers in July and just have committed to it. I read, The diabetes code by Dr Jason Fung and he recommends it to bring down your numbers and get your system working efficiently again. I do 24 hours mwf, then 16/8 on the others days. I’m also not eating sugar and keeping my net carbs under 45. I’m down 14 pounds, and will get my bloodwork done in another 6 weeks. I’m drinking 80 ounces of water and have black coffee in the morning. I don’t find it difficult and like to think of the fasting time as my insides repairing themselves. I’m 62 5’3, SW was 181 currently 167 and also in permanent afib so I need to get myself together!

Does the coffee bother your afib?
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 736 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @kshama2001

It wasn’t the “baffled” comment it was calling OMAD disgusting (for you). That word by definition is emotional, but I’m glad you’re not upset, that definitely wasn’t my intention.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I was thinking back to when I was a kid. We would eat at about 5:30 pm and not eat until we got up at 6:30 - 7:00 am the next morning. Seems funny that people think that going 12 hours between eating when you are probably sleeping at least 8 of those hours ( or should be) is hard.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I was thinking back to when I was a kid. We would eat at about 5:30 pm and not eat until we got up at 6:30 - 7:00 am the next morning. Seems funny that people think that going 12 hours between eating when you are probably sleeping at least 8 of those hours ( or should be) is hard.

A lot of it comes back to evening snacing while watching TV. The part most people seem to find difficult is giving up those snacks. Snacks are life.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »

A lot of it comes back to evening snacing while watching TV. The part most people seem to find difficult is giving up those snacks. Snacks are life.

As a kid, we never had evening snacks. We were expected to eat enough at supper that we wouldn't be hungry 2 hours later. I am so glad of this also, because now as an adult, I have no desire to snack after supper.