Weight

Options
Ok so I weighed this morning and the scale said 358. I wanted to confirm this so I got back on the scale and it said 353.4. I'm like what so I weighed 2 more times and each time said 353.4. I'm not stressing just wondering which one I should put in. What would you guys do?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I'd put in the353.4. Try changing the battery and weighing yourself a few times in a row again. If the weight still fluctuates, sounds like your scale may be a bit unreliable.
  • gonoles9987
    gonoles9987 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    I'd put in the353.4. Try changing the battery and weighing yourself a few times in a row again. If the weight still fluctuates, sounds like your scale may be a bit unreliable.

Thanks
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I have a very good scale, but it’s done things like what you’re experiencing. I’ve changed batteries, but that didn’t make any difference. Some scales are affected by the amount of moisture on the bottom of your foot, or the slant of the floor. Mine gives me different weights if I move it’s position. Just don’t let it bring you down. I like to use a trend app which shows you the trend your weight is going. i.e. Happy Scale
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    I have a very good scale, but it’s done things like what you’re experiencing. I’ve changed batteries, but that didn’t make any difference. Some scales are affected by the amount of moisture on the bottom of your foot, or the slant of the floor. Mine gives me different weights if I move it’s position. Just don’t let it bring you down. I like to use a trend app which shows you the trend your weight is going. i.e. Happy Scale

Thanks. I won't let it bring me down. I'm not stressing about it. I was just wondering which weight I should enter.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a scale also gets stuck on one specific weight. What you could do is to grab something heavy nearby, step onto scale to overwrite the previous stuck result, then go onto scale a third time without the heavy item. But yeah, could be anything from uneven floor, carpet, low battery to scale not quite made for very big people.
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Sometimes a scale also gets stuck on one specific weight. What you could do is to grab something heavy nearby, step onto scale to overwrite the previous stuck result, then go onto scale a third time without the heavy item. But yeah, could be anything from uneven floor, carpet, low battery to scale not quite made for very big people.

Thanks. I think my scale is for people who weigh 400 pounds.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options

Thanks. I won't let it bring me down. I'm not stressing about it. I was just wondering which weight I should enter.

Enter where? If you're talking about what to put in MFP, the 5 pounds difference won't make much difference in your calorie goal.

It'd probably be around 25 calories a day, +/-, which is roughly 0.05 (five one-hundredths) of a pound per week in weight change. Not worth concern, IMO.
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Enter where? If you're talking about what to put in MFP, the 5 pounds difference won't make much difference in your calorie goal.

It'd probably be around 25 calories a day, +/-, which is roughly 0.05 (five one-hundredths) of a pound per week in weight change. Not worth concern, IMO.

Enter here. Thanks
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    This scale is not necessarily unreliable, but it definitely has what's known as fake consistency which is very common with scales these days. They basically keep showing the same number till you give up and accept it because if they truly were taking a new measurement every time you would conclude they were unreliable when in truth they are as reliable as everything else in the market.

You need hard un yielding floor and the scale has to have all its feet perfectly cleaned and able to move around as that is usually where the sensors are. Doing a battery pull and following the calibration procedure of the scale before you weigh yourself would also be a good idea.

If my only options were to accept the initial or second number, I would go with the second assuming that no calibration had been run and that the scale calibrated after the first measurement.

However, I'm lying! What I would really do is clean the feet, pull the battery, Do the internal calibration procedure, and then jump on the scale again and hope for a smaller difference as I would probably accept a 0.5 to 1 lb uncertainty but not much more than that before going bonkers and hitting Amazon... Or a tile shop to get a really flat and hard surface
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    This scale is not necessarily unreliable, but it definitely has what's known as fake consistency which is very common with scales these days. They basically keep showing the same number till you give up and accept it because if they truly were taking a new measurement every time you would conclude they were unreliable when in truth they are as reliable as everything else in the market.

You need hard un yielding floor and the scale has to have all its feet perfectly cleaned and able to move around as that is usually where the sensors are. Doing a battery pull and following the calibration procedure of the scale before you weigh yourself would also be a good idea.

If my only options were to accept the initial or second number, I would go with the second assuming that no calibration had been run and that the scale calibrated after the first measurement.

However, I'm lying! What I would really do is clean the feet, pull the battery, Do the internal calibration procedure, and then jump on the scale again and hope for a smaller difference as I would probably accept a 0.5 to 1 lb uncertainty but not much more than that before going bonkers and hitting Amazon... Or a tile shop to get a really flat and hard surface

Thank you. Our floors are hard tile so it's level. Going to be putting some new batteries in it and then see what it says
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    my scale shaves 2 lb off if i do a double step on as well. just pick one — either consistently log the first one or the second — and don’t worry about which one is “correct.” if the number starts to decrease, your work is paying off.
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    my scale shaves 2 lb off if i do a double step on as well. just pick one — either consistently log the first one or the second — and don’t worry about which one is “correct.” if the number starts to decrease, your work is paying off.

Thank you
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My scale is unreliable for the first 1 - 2 measurements after I move it. Don't know why. But I always weigh myself a couple times, then come back half an hour later if I pick it up or move it.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You're talking about a difference of ~5lbs. I'd log a number in between and move on. I'm not sure I've ever even tried to step on my scale multiple times to even notice the differences in reliability - but you can try all the above suggestions, or get a new scale.
  • gonoles9987
    Options
    You're talking about a difference of ~5lbs. I'd log a number in between and move on. I'm not sure I've ever even tried to step on my scale multiple times to even notice the differences in reliability - but you can try all the above suggestions, or get a new scale.

Thanks