Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it new that people expect the forum to read their minds?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm so used to posters with the attitude "I'M NOT LOSING WEIGHT, TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG, BUT IT CAN'T POSSIBLY HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH MY LOGGING" that I was surprised when someone actually admitted that they were just winging it.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Funny, but also so sad @springlering62
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m new and/or returning here.

I don’t want to put any effort whatsoever into losing weight. Please tell me how to use this app? I don’t know how to use this app. How can I lose 30, 40, 50 pounds before my / my daughter’s/ my second cousin’s grandchild’s wedding next month.

I know it can be done. There’s a secret and I’m angry. Y’all are holding out on me.

I’m going to exercise until I drop and I swear I only eat 600 calories per day.

I should be able to creat a user ID and immediately lose 20.

I don’t want to pay for the app but I expect full features to be available and if not, I’m going to QUIT, do you hear me? QUIT!!!!!!

I’m not losing. MFP doesn’t work for me.

Wanna buy some bit coin? Hey, you look hot. Wanna see a picture of my awesome abs that barely covers my ‘nads?

Thanks y’all. Just needed to vent.

You forgot the “Why doesn’t the bar code work any more? How dare they remove the bar code without telling us?” (Clue - they did) or my personal fave “How dare this profit-making company decide to make a profit by charging us.”
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    “How dare this profit-making company decide to make a profit by charging us.”

Well to be fair...in 2007 when I joined the owners at that time, the Lees, said that it would always be free and that there was never going to be a charge.

Then they sold it for $80 mill.

"...and the times, they are a changin'."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    As someone who spends a lot of time on the internet, people tend to write short and sweet. I think it really took off with Twitter with the limited character count. Add live stream chats where you don't have time to write a lot due to fast communication, I think the younger generation has made it a habit to talk this way. Especially as talking to computers (Google, siri, alexa) can at least use a database of similarly asked questions by others to at lease kind of figure out what they may be talking about. I equally find it frustrating. I write stories and ask for feedback online and their feedback is a thumbs up. Imagine writing 300k words and the feed back is a thumbs up.

💯 This is why I really limited my responses to people on here that ask a question. You respond, and then they either just ignore it or give a one sentence argument back, usually just saying "won't work" or something to that effect. Then don't pay any attention to what you said anyway.
    I've done that for years now.
    Ann writes a lot of long informational answers for a lot of people which I'm sure they appreciate, but unless she's a really fast typer, it takes time to write the amount she does and I use to spend a couple of hours on here online answering questions. I don't have that time anymore and do most of my answering within breaks between clients or cancelations at work. Don't do much at home anymore.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

Well to be fair...in 2007 when I joined the owners at that time, the Lees, said that it would always be free and that there was never going to be a charge.

Yes and I’m not commenting on the rights or wrongs of commerce and its economics, but I suspect a lot of the people who grumbled weren’t on here then. I only joined when UA were the owners, and I liked the fact I got an UA voucher 😀 Which was also good marketing as it made me spend more in their shop.

The other issue with the barcode scanner was it was still user populated and often wrong, it wasn’t the panacea to accurate logging many thought 🤷‍♂️
  • cmriverside
    Options

Yes and I’m not commenting on the rights or wrongs of commerce and its economics, but I suspect a lot of the people who grumbled weren’t on here then. I only joined when UA were the owners, and I liked the fact I got an UA voucher 😀 Which was also good marketing as it made me spend more in their shop.

The other issue with the barcode scanner was it was still user populated and often wrong, it wasn’t the panacea to accurate logging many thought 🤷‍♂️

Sure.

There are free workarounds for most stuff...but, meh, I can't go around fixing everyone elses' inability to figure stuff out.

I'm in the habit of just linking good threads from the past, or from the Sticky threads. I have no idea why people get in to big discussions here in threads started by people who make one or two posts. ::shrug::
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Sure.

There are free workarounds for most stuff...but, meh, I can't go around fixing everyone elses' inability to figure stuff out.

I'm in the habit of just linking good threads from the past, or from the Sticky threads. I have no idea why people get in to big discussions here in threads started by people who make one or two posts. ::shrug::

It’s the cup half full hope that one solitary person will listen and can be helped. Ya never know if a first time poster is a one time whinger, or might actually turn out to be someone who stays and benefits from our golden words.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    And all of us were first time posters once.
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of you in this thread who have invested your time in helping others (myself included) so selflessly! I returned this summer after not looking at the message boards for several years and noticed all the things y'all have mentioned, which bum me out. Still finding good inspiration on here where I can, but you have to dig for it now.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    The other thing, getting into nearly-pointless lengthy arguments about details . . . everyone finds different things fun. Sometimes I find that fun. To a fault. (Everyone's got faults, right?)

:lol:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll argue when it serves me. I personally used to like the much more lively forums of old when there were hundreds of posts arguing against a point, but the one hold-out would still say, "Nope." If it devolved into gifs, even better, IMO.

I just can't see having that 10 page discussion over - say - someone who has five pounds to lose. I mean - some problems aren't really problems.

But yeah, other things are important to Me Too.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    Options
    👋🏻

Please add “how do I burn belly fat?”.

I’d like to line up a firing squad for the marketing genius who came up with that nauseating clickbait term.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Sure.

The other thing, getting into nearly-pointless lengthy arguments about details . . . everyone finds different things fun. Sometimes I find that fun. To a fault. (Everyone's got faults, right?)

I definitely find it fun when I've got the time. Honestly, I hope people here don't get the wrong idea and think I don't respect what they're saying because I go back and forth.... but honestly, if we live in a bubble where everyone just goes "oh, ok"... well, that would be a little boring. Mostly I spend the time to do this specifically because I respect them.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,294 Member
    Options
    Forums are dying.

If you mean "MFP Groups" I would strengthen that and say they are dead.

Though clear a few out of the thousands might have some activity.

They designed poorly and don't work easily. Nobody cares.

One sentence obscure posts in threads are what this app is designed to facilitate.

• E43V15C
    E43V15C Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 7
    Options
    Subtle telepathy has always interested me- whether it is possible- have we become subtly more psychic/sensitive to each other's thoughts/opinions collectively in the last decade- also lots of people have main character syndrome related issues- so does it cancel itself out if it is common? We're hyper-sensitive to ourselves- we feel as if we're being analysed/pre-empted, putting ourselves under a harsher lens maybe- or we're enmeshed in our own pathology/hysteria and need to explain ourselves to others a bit more. Sorry this is a bit off topic- just my thoughts
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    👋🏻

Can we also add “Anyone tried this Intermittent Fasting thing?”

I honestly think you guys are the glue holding this Community together… I see a ‘new’ question (actually asked a thousand times before) and have a little guess at who got the first reply out of @AnnPT77, @Springlering62, @cmriverside, or @ninerbuff (edit to add @mtatatoot, @yirara and so many more I recognise, you know who you are)!

I (still) read all your responses in the hope that the drip, drip, drip of your collective wisdom eventually seeps into my brain… I am sure I’m not the only one. We admire your staying power, so THANK YOU!
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and “Can you please give me motivation?”.

I mentally grit my teeth when I read that one.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    The forum setup was "improved" in recent memory. My personal impression is that the number of people who make use of the forums decreased subsequent to that.

There is a chance that app improvements emphasizing videos, blogs and other features are partially responsible and offer people sufficient interactivity for their needs. But I have also noticed that the MFP app promo contents are not in full alignment with the forums. To me they seem to push the substantial losses in a few months narrative with nary a mention of maintenance track records.

That said, I can't opine too much on the app improvements these past 3+ years because I changed logging platforms in late 2020 after the free account "old data" prune took place. I understand that the pruning then un-happened but I had already moved to logging elsewhere and I now only use the app/website to click through to the forums

I credit MFP and the forums for a lot of my (so far) successful foray into weight management these past 10 years and I have been happy to participate--and hopefully to give back and help people find success.

That said I've noticed myself deleting without posting a lot of responses that I start writing. Especially when I find myself trying to express something more nuanced or complicated.

and, more often than in the past, I try to avoid jumping into the one liners from people who can't even be bothered to write out a question.