Ozempic Users?

Options

Replies

• Living_Nightmares
    Living_Nightmares Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wegovy user here. 1st month down, 0.25 dose. I’ve lost 6 lbs this month. I am cutting calories, keeping portions in check and working out 6 days a week. My NP suggested this for me due to hitting a plateau for 2 months.
    My symptoms are severe nausea (but no vomiting) the first 2 days after injecting, some constipation and headache. Once the nausea passes, it’s ok.
  • nikkieburns8234
    nikkieburns8234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm on week 6 now and had my first dose of .5 a few days ago. I am down 7kg since starting but feels like it's to slow haha had a few issues with fullness to bad when I suffer reflux and also nausea and constipation but nothing overly bad. Just trying to get used to what I can and can't eat and staying under my calorie goal which is hard at times as a mum of 6 kiddies
  • Nycgirl1979
    Nycgirl1979 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Do people still track their food on Ozempic? What’s the maintenance on it? Thank you
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,234 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Hi,

Do people still track their food on Ozempic? What’s the maintenance on it? Thank you

Those are $1,000,000 USD questions.

Nothing is more mysterious and unknown than "maintenance."

For tracking, also an unknown. Tens or hundreds of thousands of people are losing weight with this and probably only a tiny fraction accurately track their food.

I always think going through the motions of tracking my food is helpful...But we are seeing it is not required while on this.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You shouldn't need to track.

However, if you don't adjust your diet to a more long term sustainable healthy way, good luck getting off the drug and not regaining.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Hi,

For tracking, also an unknown. Tens or hundreds of thousands of people are losing weight with this and probably only a tiny fraction accurately track their food.

I always think going through the motions of tracking my food is helpful...But we are seeing it is not required while on this.

The best explanation I ever heard as far as maintenence (assuming we're referring to calories) was by Mike Israetel, who's a PHD in exercise science. His explanation was to take 1500 calories and add your body weight to it (i.e. foe me... 1500+110). This is your starting point for calories. Wait a week, see if you go up, down, or stay the same. If you go up, decrease calories by 250. If you go down, increase your calories by 250. Wait another week. Repeat. Once you have stayed the same weight for a few weeks, you've found your maintenence calories.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    I'd probably be losing two pounds per week if I followed that formula to start with.

Big fan of Dr. Mike though.
  • sollyn23l2
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I'd probably be losing two pounds per week if I followed that formula to start with.

Big fan of Dr. Mike though.

For sure, that's why it's a starting point. It's not your maintenence cal8ries till you've moved up or down and titration to your maintenence level.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,405 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    (snip excellent ideas)

I hear that if you hate making rice, you can freeze portions of cooked rice to warm up in the microwave but I haven't tried that because I have a rice cooker which makes light work of doing rice.

(snip)

I've done it. It works fine. Also works for other whole grains that may be longer to cook. I also cook dried beans and freeze them in convenient portions for later use, but I do have a big chest freezer in my basement.
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Hi,

The best explanation I ever heard as far as maintenence (assuming we're referring to calories) was by Mike Israetel, who's a PHD in exercise science. His explanation was to take 1500 calories and add your body weight to it (i.e. foe me... 1500+110). This is your starting point for calories. Wait a week, see if you go up, down, or stay the same. If you go up, decrease calories by 250. If you go down, increase your calories by 250. Wait another week. Repeat. Once you have stayed the same weight for a few weeks, you've found your maintenence calories.

A week, 250?

I'm skeptical that Dr. Israetel has fully thought through the scale weight implications of menstrual cycles. In perhaps a minority of cases, but I suspect a large minority, I think one week and 250 calories are a formula for lengthy futzing around with calorie level. But he's a PhD, and I'm not.

If someone's been calorie counting with any accuracy, this is a weird method. If a person hasn't been calorie counting, but will, would it be superior to a standard research-based estimate?
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    (snip excellent ideas)

I hear that if you hate making rice, you can freeze portions of cooked rice to warm up in the microwave but I haven't tried that because I have a rice cooker which makes light work of doing rice.

(snip)

I've done it. It works fine. Also works for other whole grains that may be longer to cook. I also cook dried beans and freeze them in convenient portions for later use, but I do have a big chest freezer in my basement.
    Hi,

A week, 250?

I'm skeptical that Dr. Israetel has fully thought through the scale weight implications of menstrual cycles. In perhaps a minority of cases, but I suspect a large minority, I think one week and 250 calories are a formula for lengthy futzing around with calorie level. But he's a PhD, and I'm not.

If someone's been calorie counting with any accuracy, this is a weird method. If a person hasn't been calorie counting, but will, would it be superior to a standard research-based estimate?

Yes, because you're finding your own maintenence. Which is far more accurate. And I think the assumption is for someone who hasn't been calorie counting. If you've been calorie counting, you've already done this.
  • Retroguy2000
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I figured you must have that wrong, because the starting formula makes no sense. For myself, that would give a starting maintenance at below every TDEE calculator gives for just my BMR.

One quick Google, found it. He said to start with bodyweight * 15 calories, if your weight trends up over 3 days, cut by 250-500, or if it's trending down, increase by 250-500. If you're 100-150 pounds change that to 100-150 calories change. Repeat until your bodyweight is steady on average for over a week, and that's an estimate of your maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb5xgU9zAFY
  • sollyn23l2
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I figured you must have that wrong, because the starting formula makes no sense. For myself, that would give a starting maintenance at below every TDEE calculator gives for just my BMR.

One quick Google, found it. He said to start with bodyweight * 15 calories, if your weight trends up over 3 days, cut by 250-500, or if it's trending down, increase by 250-500. If you're 100-150 pounds change that to 100-150 calories change. Repeat until your bodyweight is steady on average for over a week, and that's an estimate of your maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb5xgU9zAFY

Aha, I did misremember. Thanks. Makes more sense. True. Not sure how I remembered it so far off🤣😂. This is why it pays to look stuff up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,405 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    IMO, 3 days or a week still sounds like an unreasonably short time span for women who have cycles.

ETA: The discussion of how to estimate maintenence is probably a digression, anyway. I think this started it:
    Hi,

I'm not sure whether that's referring to maintenance calories, or maintenance dosage/schedule/plan for the drug.
  • Sandie2102
    Sandie2102 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I track my food...I find it really helpful to see where I am with nutrients etc. I am with a medical programme so I meet with a dietician monthly so we always go over food and various options. I know that a lot of people will say that they do not track, and I think its a personal thing. I have always tracked because it helps to keep me accountable. I will only be lying to myself and the scale otherwise.

And as for maintenance, I for one know that my programme will be working through that. I know that we will be learning how to live at the weight that we set as a goal. But, technically, this medication is something that should be continued long term, since it is being used to handle a real medical condition (obesity and weight management is a real thing), but most people want to be able to come off of it, so they teach how to decrease dosages and maintain weight at each level.

There are so many questions and like most things, its a learning curve.
  • methridg2
    methridg2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Started Oz yesterday. I have struggled with my weight for 15 years. I have an addiction to food and sugar, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and autoimmune issues. Losing weight would help all of these things. I made changes but it never amounted to anything, so I needed some training wheels to get me where I need to be while I continue to make lifestyle changes. I see a counselor twice a month, meeting a nutritionist next week and went through the Noom education. I really hope using this medicine will help with the weight loss and motivation to continue. I need to lose about 45lbs.

If anyone wants to add me as a friend, please do so. Could always use some community support and would love to give it as well.

Starting weight - 199
    Goal weight - 155
  • methridg2
    methridg2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    badnoodle wrote: »
    I had a really depressing conversation with real-life friends yesterday. We were talking about food, and I mentioned how I missed pasta and rice, but that Ozempic was really helping me stick to a low(er) carb diet. And they absolutely went off on me! Things like how I was "unfairly privileged" to have access to it; I was "embracing fat-phobic diet culture"; and how "you're just signing up for a lifetime drug habit". To be fair, they did walk back a lot of that when I reminded them that I'd recently been diagnosed with t2 diabetes and really wanted to keep all my toes for the rest of my life.

But wow, the judgement and negativity from avowedly liberal people who actively support drug therapy for mental illness and drug addiction was EYE OPENING. I almost think I would have gotten less judgment if I casually admitted to using recreational ketamine on a regular basis.

That is terrible! I am so sorry you went through that. I actually am only telling one person (outside you guys of course) that I am taking Oz because of this. People are so judgy about it. If you go into it knowing its not a miracle drug and to use it to get where you want to be while learning how to have a lifestyle that supports the weight loss and maintaining it, then you shouldn't need to be on it forever.
  • meghand8
    meghand8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm so happy to finally find a conversation regarding Ozempic that I can join! I started Ozempic on July 14 and have lost 16lbs. Because it has been working as well as it has, my doctor has chosen to keep me at the 0.5 dose for another 3 months.
  • RachelTheRiveter
    Options
    Hi everyone, just took my first dose of Ozempic about.,.. 15 minutes ago. I wanted to chime in on food prep and something that a lot of people aren't aware of - if you get a sous vide (I use the Breville Joule, but the Anova or other brand is great too) and you sous vide a chicken breast til pastureized in separate bags or 2 per bag - it increases the time you can keep it in the fridge by over a week because you've literally pasteurized it and and until you open it and as long as you keep it refrigerated, it will stay good an extra 3-5 days.