What's your why ?

Options
Remembering why I want to lose weight or get healthy keeps me going.

I have several "whys". But I'll share one. I'll spare you the "being able to play in the yard with my kids for hours" rhetoric..its too hot for that mess anyway.

My favorite why is that im trying to look good! Case closed. I want to be sexy everywhere I go. I want to be the fit dad down at the parent teacher conference, I want to look sexy when I mow the lawn. I want my shirts to fit damn well and I want to look even better when I take it off.

What's your why ????

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    I have a few.

A 'negative' one: to avoid turning into my mother, who is 70 and so obese that she's out of breath at the slightest effort, hates her body and lashes out at everyone around her. She's still gaining weight, which doesn't bode well for her future quality of life.

A positive one: already having gone from obese to normal BMI, just feeling the way I feel now is a great motivation to stay at a healthy weight. The increased confidence, feeling so much lighter and fitter!
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My Whys.. Longterm Health and being a role model for others… 👍
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I'm already pretty old (67). In general, my healthy weight, active, similar-age acquaintances have much higher quality of life than my overweight/obese, inactive similar-age ones. (I'm talking folks +/- 15 years or so).

On average, the healthy weight, active folks:

* are sick less often and less severely,
    * take fewer meds (so fewer side effects and weird drug interactions, less out of pocket cost),
    * need fewer surgeries and recover faster from them when they do need them,
    * can eat/drink a full range of tasty things (vs. being limited by health conditions or drug contraindications),
    * are mobile enough to do fun things involving lots of walking or stairs (art fairs, music festivals, stadium events, etc.),
    * can do more demanding home/landscape chores themselves vs. having to pay others or depend on their children,
    * stay out of needing assisted living facilities longer/later,
    * have more discretionary budget $$ because of lower medical and service provider costs,
    * and more.

I see some people say it's not worth losing weight or getting fitter to live longer, because that will just mean more years of decrepitude and misery late in life. That's not generally how I see it play out around me. In general, it seems like the healthy/fit elders more often have a long span of good years, then a short, sharp decline or sudden death. It's the overweight/unfit who generally seem to have decades of compromised heath and functioning, then die younger besides.

You don't have to whack me with a 2x4, y'know? Of course there are no guarantees, but there's definitely improvement of odds.

On top of ask that, having finally reached a healthy weight stupidly late in life (7+ years back, age 60) and being reasonably fit (since late 40s), my personal quality of life is dramatically better.

Both fitness and healthy body weight were big improvements. The combination of both is gangbusters. I'm healthier and more functional at 67 than I was at 45. I want to keep that as long as possible.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Ann,
    Everything you said is why I’m doing this. I’m just annoyed it took me so long to realize how life works. I pray I’m not too late to ‘save’ my health.😟
  • cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I have a few.

A 'negative' one: to avoid turning into my mother, who is 70 and so obese that she's out of breath at the slightest effort, hates her body and lashes out at everyone around her. She's still gaining weight, which doesn't bode well for her future quality of life.

A positive one: already having gone from obese to normal BMI, just feeling the way I feel now is a great motivation to stay at a healthy weight. The increased confidence, feeling so much lighter and fitter!

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My dad isn't taking the best care of himself either and it both saddens and angers me.

Congrats on achieving a normal bmi! That is on my radar. I want to take control of my bmi. I've got a long way to go but I'm motivated.
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    Ann,
    Everything you said is why I’m doing this. I’m just annoyed it took me so long to realize how life works. I pray I’m not too late to ‘save’ my health.😟

It's never too late. You're armed with the knowledge. Go after it!
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    My Whys.. Longterm Health and being a role model for others… 👍

I feel this. Aldo some of my whys
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm already pretty old (67). In general, my healthy weight, active, similar-age acquaintances have much higher quality of life than my overweight/obese, inactive similar-age ones. (I'm talking folks +/- 15 years or so).

On average, the healthy weight, active folks:

* are sick less often and less severely,
    * take fewer meds (so fewer side effects and weird drug interactions, less out of pocket cost),
    * need fewer surgeries and recover faster from them when they do need them,
    * can eat/drink a full range of tasty things (vs. being limited by health conditions or drug contraindications),
    * are mobile enough to do fun things involving lots of walking or stairs (art fairs, music festivals, stadium events, etc.),
    * can do more demanding home/landscape chores themselves vs. having to pay others or depend on their children,
    * stay out of needing assisted living facilities longer/later,
    * have more discretionary budget $$ because of lower medical and service provider costs,
    * and more.

I see some people say it's not worth losing weight or getting fitter to live longer, because that will just mean more years of decrepitude and misery late in life. That's not generally how I see it play out around me. In general, it seems like the healthy/fit elders more often have a long span of good years, then a short, sharp decline or sudden death. It's the overweight/unfit who generally seem to have decades of compromised heath and functioning, then die younger besides.

You don't have to whack me with a 2x4, y'know? Of course there are no guarantees, but there's definitely improvement of odds.

On top of ask that, having finally reached a healthy weight stupidly late in life (7+ years back, age 60) and being reasonably fit (since late 40s), my personal quality of life is dramatically better.

Both fitness and healthy body weight were big improvements. The combination of both is gangbusters. I'm healthier and more functional at 67 than I was at 45. I want to keep that as long as possible.

I hear you. I want to live a long healthy active life as well! Keep at it !
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My why is to not look like a beer belly slob as I often see so many men like this in my age group... :)
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    My why is to not look like a beer belly slob as I often see so many men like this in my age group... :)

That's a movement I can get behind. I was so fed up with how I looked. I'm still not pleased. I'm going to turn this thing around
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 736 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    My why? My mental health. When I gain weight I’m lethargic, depressed, reclusive, I become more negative, paranoid, have headaches, and get insomnia.

When I’m healthy I’m happy, positive, active, helpful, emotionally resilient, and an actual participant in my life.

Why they’re interlinked for me, I do not know. But they are, so I have to prioritize it because my life depends on it.
  • Zaxa2021
    Zaxa2021 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have two young kids. I want them to grow up with a healthy lifestyle and at least give them a shot at avoiding the struggles of being overweight or obese. I, I'm sure like all of us, will do anything for my kids, and that includes taking care of their mommy.

And I feel so much better when I'm eating for health and getting some exercise.

Also, I want to look good.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My why is a sad, but important one. My mom had a lot of trouble with her weight and, consequently, the issues that go with that (high blood pressure, high triglycerides, diabetes). The first time I had a little trouble with my weight, she and I did weight watchers together and were both successful. That maintenance is rough though. Anyway, my mom died of a heart attack about a month before my college graduation. My why is because I have to finally figure out the last piece of the puzzle because 60 is too young to die.

I've dropped weight down to my goal weight of 125ish 4 times in my life. I stayed there for a couple of years last time.
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I want to take my son to SeaBase with his scout troop. It is a high adventure base in the Florida Keys. We get to sail and tag sharks and grow coral just to say a few things. There is a very strict weight limit due to the dangerous nature of the trek. it is a 2 year plan so I have plenty of time to loose the weight responsibly. I am already down 25 lbs. I have another 75ish to go before I am where I want to be and 36 to be eligible.
  • texasamyjoy
    texasamyjoy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1gc5roclg9sp.jpeg

My why is my baby girl! I want her to see a healthy and active mama growing up.
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    My why is a sad, but important one. My mom had a lot of trouble with her weight and, consequently, the issues that go with that (high blood pressure, high triglycerides, diabetes). The first time I had a little trouble with my weight, she and I did weight watchers together and were both successful. That maintenance is rough though. Anyway, my mom died of a heart attack about a month before my college graduation. My why is because I have to finally figure out the last piece of the puzzle because 60 is too young to die.

I've dropped weight down to my goal weight of 125ish 4 times in my life. I stayed there for a couple of years last time.

Im so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm in the boat with you as far as losing and gaining weight Over and over. I've lost enough weight to make up probably 9 full grown adults. This time will be the last time.
    I'm pushing for you! Lets get and stay healthy together. For good!
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    1gc5roclg9sp.jpeg

My why is my baby girl! I want her to see a healthy and active mama growing up.

I'm with you. I have 3 kids. They all only have seen me as an overweight dad. That stops this year. I wanna be great for them and be around a long time. Keep it up !
  • cdennis9154
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    My why? My mental health. When I gain weight I’m lethargic, depressed, reclusive, I become more negative, paranoid, have headaches, and get insomnia.

When I’m healthy I’m happy, positive, active, helpful, emotionally resilient, and an actual participant in my life.

Why they’re interlinked for me, I do not know. But they are, so I have to prioritize it because my life depends on it.

Those are important why's! At my heaviest I suffered from many of the same things. Exercise and diet literally saved my life. The things we eat don't just impact our waistline...it can damage our brains too. Which further impact how we feel.

Let's right the ship!

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    My why? Is reality. When a person reaches a certain age..maintaining a healthy weight, regular excercise, eating whole foods, and getting good sleep make the difference of 10 to 15 more Christmases with their family. Aging accelerates when you don't put the healthy breaks on..and that's a fact. I'm willing to do the work.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    It was back in 2012, right after my brother died. His extra weight was a big reason he had health issues. He was 9 years younger than me. I realized that if I didn't do something to get my own growing girth in check and reverse it that my life would be cut short also. .... You'd think that 11 years would have undone the damage created in the previous 25 years, but I'm still working on it. Every day I get older and everyday I learn something new ... OK, not very day do I learn, but I learn on more days than I don't.