New high protein /carb program

Options
Started with a nutritionist last Monday. She said I wasn’t eating near enough protein so I am now tracking every bite on MFP. Lost 4 pounds so far!! Need to add more fiber. What are your favorite. Fiber foods? Also any other tips on favorite high protein foods.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    For protein ideas, check out this excellent thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

My highest fiber foods:

Veggies (assorted, lots)
    Fruits (assorted, lots)
    Oatmeal
    Beans
    Flax seed (ground/milled)

Highest protein (note that I'm vegetarian):

Cottage cheese
    Tofu
    Plain nonfat Greek yogurt (in my oatmeal, as a sour cream substitute, more)
    Skim milk (mostly in my coffee)
    Calorie-efficient cheeses
    Beans
    Tempeh
    Kefir

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm another vegetarian. I eat a lot of soybeans, edamame, tempeh as they are both high in protein and fairly high in fiber. I also eat lots of fat free Greek yogurt, protein bars, lots of protein powder, and egg whites.

I eat a lot of cauliflower, usually rice, as well as a wide variety of other vegetables.
  • 8rbncr8mv5
    8rbncr8mv5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My favorite high protein foods are chicken, salmon, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, chicken sausages with breakfast and eggs. I also have an iced coffee every morning that is just a caramel protein drink with coffee concentrate or cold brew coffee. If you don’t find liquid calories filling that might not be the best but I was going to be consuming calories with a coffee every morning anyway, and this way it has 20-30 grams of protein.
    For high fiber foods I like the eat a lot of roasted vegetables because that’s the easiest way I’ve found to cook them in bulk for meal preps. Broccoli is probably my favorite followed closely by sugar snap peas.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My fav fiber foods:
    Berries
    Beans
    Cruciferous veggies (staples for me are broccoli and brussel's sprouts)
    Chia seeds

Generally speaking - most fruits/veggies, seeds/nuts will be good additions to get some more fiber.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    My fav fiber foods:
    Berries
    Beans
    Cruciferous veggies (staples for me are broccoli and brussel's sprouts)
    Chia seeds

Generally speaking - most fruits/veggies, seeds/nuts will be good additions to get some more fiber.

Ditto.
  • droothompson
    droothompson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am doing body recomp, which means that although I need a calorie deficit, I need enough protein for muscle synthesis. It is *tough* to get this much protein. And if you short yourself on fibre, uhm.. Better be taking Senokot to ... keep things moving.

I eat a lot of oatmeal. brown rice. green beans. broccoli. general mixed salad vegetables. And I put a fiber supplement in my morning coffee.

(i make zavida vanilla hazelnut coffee in the morning. it gets all the additives. Creatine. Cocoa/whey protein powder (20g worth) and fiber. The plus with the protein powder is that I don't really need cream or sugar, but it only uploads protein calories - and there's enough flavours between the coffee and the powder to mask the whey.

Turkey, chicken, more turkey, more chicken, chickpeas. I avoid soy - if you're a fat guy, soy is linked to even more estrogenic aromatization than your fat already makes. (not so much a concern for women unless you have other excess-E problems).

Occasional beef or ham for variety. Cottage cheese. Greek yogurt (plain. completely plain. I toss in blueberries and blackberries).

Breakfast today was turkey bacon, tomato, and precisely measured low fat swiss on a whole wheat english muffin. Yesterday was oatmeal cooked in milk with a scoop of protein powder in it. Dinner was salmon on brown rice with broccoli and asparagus.

THe scale is your friend. Measure how much of all these things and it makes 'how much protein' and 'how much fiber' much easier to follow/manage.
  • hlsess
    hlsess Posts: 11 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Thanks so much. I’ve been doing really well so far. Just picked up some cottage cheese tioday. Not my favorite. Ordered Chia seeds too. Love eating all This food and losing weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    I am doing body recomp, which means that although I need a calorie deficit, I need enough protein for muscle synthesis. It is *tough* to get this much protein. And if you short yourself on fibre, uhm.. Better be taking Senokot to ... keep things moving.

I eat a lot of oatmeal. brown rice. green beans. broccoli. general mixed salad vegetables. And I put a fiber supplement in my morning coffee.

(i make zavida vanilla hazelnut coffee in the morning. it gets all the additives. Creatine. Cocoa/whey protein powder (20g worth) and fiber. The plus with the protein powder is that I don't really need cream or sugar, but it only uploads protein calories - and there's enough flavours between the coffee and the powder to mask the whey.

Turkey, chicken, more turkey, more chicken, chickpeas. I avoid soy - if you're a fat guy, soy is linked to even more estrogenic aromatization than your fat already makes. (not so much a concern for women unless you have other excess-E problems).

Occasional beef or ham for variety. Cottage cheese. Greek yogurt (plain. completely plain. I toss in blueberries and blackberries).

Breakfast today was turkey bacon, tomato, and precisely measured low fat swiss on a whole wheat english muffin. Yesterday was oatmeal cooked in milk with a scoop of protein powder in it. Dinner was salmon on brown rice with broccoli and asparagus.

THe scale is your friend. Measure how much of all these things and it makes 'how much protein' and 'how much fiber' much easier to follow/manage.

FWIW, soy was at one time considered questionable for women who had estrogen receptor positive breast cancer. It is no longer considered to be of concern, even if eaten regularly in typical amounts.

I don't know the status when it comes to men, or other scenarios, but believe me, I take being up to date on this type of estrogen-fed cancer very seriously, having survived a stage III version of it . . . so far (23 years).

If someone is concerned about soy and estrogen, I'd encourage them to look for current research themselves, rather than take my or anyone else's word.
  • hlsess
    hlsess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What is the expected weight loss time? I’ve lost 4 lbs in 8 days. I know slow is better. Lost 3 in @ 3 days so guessing it’ll be slower now. Trying to lose 13 more. I know everyone is different. Need to stay away from sodium too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    hlsess wrote: »
    What is the expected weight loss time? I’ve lost 4 lbs in 8 days. I know slow is better. Lost 3 in @ 3 days so guessing it’ll be slower now. Trying to lose 13 more. I know everyone is different. Need to stay away from sodium too.

With only 13 pounds to lose, your weekly weight loss goal should only be a half pound per week. If you just started 8 days ago, some of that 4 pounds was probably water.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

It's extremely rare to lose every day, and you won't see this once you're past the initial stage.

3x99pdlcb4dd.png