MyFitnessPal will not do the calculations if I do not meet their calorie requirements

Options
BobbyC321
BobbyC321 Posts: 10 Member
edited September 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Calculator.net recommends maximum calories to lose 1 lb. per week should be 1490 calories per day for my age, weight, and lifestyle. I don't believe this website is up-to-date with the current science and does not account for Intermittent Fasting, or 1 and 2 day total Fasting. This site will also not even calculate my results if I don't meet the calorie requirements. I don't need the app to play doctor for me. Wish they would just do the calculations without their comments about not eating enough. I've lost about 65 lbs. in just a couple years by staying well below my daily requirement and very little exercise. Have not even had a cold in many years.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    MFP uses Mifflin-St. Jeor for BMR calories, so it would seem scientifically based. Activity levels can differ from one calculator to another.
    Also, MFP is different from TDEE calculators, it intends you to add exercise separately (activity level = non exercise activity).

Every calculator is different anyway and so is each each individual metabolism. The best approach is to use calculators as a starting point and adjust based on actual results.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    all it does is give you a random five week estimate. you aren’t missing anything.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    MFP doesn't "calculate results" for anybody. Your scales and tape measure and pricey fat % tests and records of exercise (times, mileage, lifting volume, etc.) show your results. If you choose to share that info with MFP, it will graph it over time for you, regardless of whether you log enough calories to be alllowed to close your diary.

A five-week prediction is not a result until it comes true.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You don't have to close your diary. Believe me, the number they give is nonsense.
  • rabbitlvr
    rabbitlvr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The downside with not completing your entry is if MFP is linked to a wellness app. That's the problem I'm noticing, where MFP tells me I'm not eating enough on fasting days and therefore my wellness app isn't syncing the calorie tracking.
  • BobbyC321
    edited September 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The only thing that happens if you eat below the MFP minimum, and close your diary for the day, is that it doesn't give you the "in 5 weeks" prediction nor post to your timeline. That's it. The prediction is not particularly reasonable anyway, so why stress about it? It's not some major punishment.

That MFP doesn't support your fast-loss goals doesn't make it "not up to date with current science".

[No stress at all. But it IS a fat-loss, goal-setting website, which asks me to set goals to achieve weight loss. However, the app HAS helped, by tracking my food/nutrient intake, thus assisting in my weight loss of 64 lbs in 2 years. For me, that is the website's only value. I get it, they don't want to encourage fasting, because of people with food disorders". However, I need real science data (not old antiquated ideals about daily food requirements.]
  • BobbyC321
    Options
    No stress at all. But it IS a fat-loss, goal-setting website, which asks me to set goals to achieve weight loss. However, the MFP app HAS helped, by tracking my food/nutrient intake, thus assisting in my weight loss of 64 lbs in 2 years. For me, that is the website's only value and I will continue to use it for the tracking only. I get it, they don't want to encourage fasting, because of people with food disorders". However, I need real science data (not old antiquated ideals about daily food requirements.
  • Winning4EJ
    Winning4EJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    BobbyC321 wrote: »
    Calculator.net recommends maximum calories to lose 1 lb. per week should be 1490 calories per day for my age, weight, and lifestyle. I don't believe this website is up-to-date with the current science and does not account for Intermittent Fasting, or 1 and 2 day total Fasting. This site will also not even calculate my results if I don't meet the calorie requirements. I don't need the app to play doctor for me. Wish they would just do the calculations without their comments about not eating enough. I've lost about 65 lbs. in just a couple years by staying well below my daily requirement and very little exercise. Have not even had a cold in many years.

I hear you, had a similar experience. I suppose it may be to avoid being liable considering some struggle with eating disorders is my thought.
  • BobbyC321
    Options
    Winning4EJ wrote: »

I hear you, had a similar experience. I suppose it may be to avoid being liable considering some struggle with eating disorders is my thought.

Yes, I believe you are absolutely correct. (smile)
  • BobbyC321
    edited October 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I need real science data (not old antiquated ideals about daily food requirements.

I missed the part where you offered whack-loads of proof that your newfangled and very modern ideals about lack of daily food requirements (as formulated and understood and believed by yourself) are somehow based on "real" science data -- data totally unlike the datasets used by all the silly scientific consensus positions MFP has adopted.

Right, I did not provide proof of my belief on weight-loss programs. It would take more time and work than I wish to spend on this topic. All I can say, is that I have tried many popular diets. Intermittent Fasting is not well known and I don't know much about the science of it. I got the ideal from watching popular YouTube Videos and/or podcasts like Jeremy Ethier, Jeff Nippard. Dr. Sten Ekberg on YouTube is also great on nutrition. Decided to give it a try. Downloaded MyFitnessPal to track calories and sugar intake. OMG, it works. Noticed the weight loss was consistent as long as I was consistent in my efforts. Started about 2 years ago and so far went from approximately 265 lbs. to at present, maintaining at about 183 lbs. Started hitting the weights again, more intensely, and OMG, I can see my feet again. Would you believe all the weight was on my belly? Hah!!! Take care. (smile)