High protein?

Options
Hi😊

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,853 Member
    Options
    Hi @Mhappy1986 welcome to MFP!

What are you hoping to accomplish or learn about protein?

I focus on high protein, so might be able to help.
  • capgordon6530
    capgordon6530 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi there hope ur well am looking to hit my protein better I'll try add
  • hlsess
    hlsess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am adding protein too. 100-130 is what I was told but usually only hit 100g
  • TooTiredToKnit
    TooTiredToKnit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I read that I need 25-30 g protein at each meal to start getting some my pre-COVID muscle and energy back. Now I've had 2 bouts of COVID plus COVID pneumonia. Here's the thing: I don't much like meat. Any help with recipes or food suggestions, low sugar/low calorie protein sources, ways to serve meat would be greatly appreciated.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I read that I need 25-30 g protein at each meal to start getting some my pre-COVID muscle and energy back. Now I've had 2 bouts of COVID plus COVID pneumonia. Here's the thing: I don't much like meat. Any help with recipes or food suggestions, low sugar/low calorie protein sources, ways to serve meat would be greatly appreciated.

Spot on. 25-30 per meal is around how much protein your body is capable of processing into muscle tissue.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options

If you haven't already seen it, this thread may be a help (it helped me):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian, have no difficulty exceeding my 100g protein minimum every day now that I'm in maintenance (usually hit 110-120g). That's on 1850 base calories + exercise. I don't use protein powder, protein bars, or standard commercial faux meats. (There's nothing wrong with eating those, IMO - I just don't personally find them tasty or satisfying.)

When I was losing, it admittedly was lower, but at least 80s and more often 90s grams daily, once I got a solid routine dialed in. That was mostly 1400-1600 calories plus exercise.

Two things that helped me, one a process, the other a tactic.

The process: Early on, I reviewed my food diary every day or two. I was looking for foods that
    "cost" relatively many calories, didn't have much protein, that weren't useful enough to me personally (in terms of satiation, other nutrition, general happiness) for that calorie cost. Those were foods to reduce (frequency or portion size) to free up calories for other foods I liked that would better help me meet my calorie goal. (The thread I linked above was helpful in that specific process.)

The tactic: It's always sensible to go for one big protein contributor in each meal. In
    addition, I thought about how I could add little bits of protein in most every thing I ate: Breads, grains, sides, veggies with more protein than others (even some fruits), protein snacks, even flavoring ingredients with a little protein (nutritional yeast, miso, peanut butter powder, etc.), beverages, etc.

Analyzing my diary and looking for those happy tweaks was really useful, because those small added bits of protein add up over the course of the day. Many of those are not as high-quality protein (in essential amino acid (EAA) completeness or bioavailability), but varying the sources and aiming for a high-side protein goal compensate somewhat for that.

If you're not starting from a situation of notable deficiency, you can take a week or few to use diary review and tweakings of eating patterns to improve the situation. IMO, a key idea is to revamp routine eating patterns so that adequate protein happens almost automatically, without continuing conscious attention.

I'm betting you can get your protein intake where you want it, with a little analysis, attention, and remodeling of routine habits.

Best wishes!
  • capgordon6530
    capgordon6530 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi folks how we all doing am Allan
    And definitely need to sort my protein out so any advice would be great help and youse want to add me feel free
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble hitting your daily protein goal it pays to have high-protein snacks around to much on like low/no sugar jerky, or grab some ham steaks or rotisserie chicken from the butcher/deli that you can pick on right outta the fridge.

Canned fish (tuna/sardines/mackerel/salmon, etc.), are fantastic for upping daily protein while adding healthy fats and few to no carbs. They're also easy to keep in a bag and just eat on the go, pop a can open and keep some plastic forks in the glove compartment lol. You don't even need to heat them, just be careful of what they're packed in (I like spring water or occasionally olive oil).

And of course eggs are great so just make a batch every week so you can grab them out of the fridge/freezer. One week I make an egg scramble with whatever else I find in the kitchen, then put it in small Tupper wears & freeze them in portion sizes so I just have to nuke them. Next week I might simply leave a big bowl of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. Week after that, mini crustless quiches, week after that devilled eggs. I eat 3/4 eggs per day on average, sometimes as many as 6. Been a great way to up my protein.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,853 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Core power chocolate drink+serving low fat cottage cheese+8gr cocoa +a ton of ice. Pulverize in a blender.

40 easy grams of protein, 260 calories, tastes like a thick ice cream milkshake, and will fill you for hours and hours.

My new go-to when I’m shorter than I like on protein.