Best macros for weight loss

Options
I'm tired of fad diets that drastically reduce carbs, fat, sugar or whatever. They don't work for me ... I get really cranky and cheat. I find I am more satiated and less likely to cheat when I eat a balanced diet. I read online that the most effective approach for many people is eating a range of 5 to 15% carbs, 25 to 35% protein, and 45 to 65% fat (healthy fat, obviously). Thoughts?

Replies

• fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Carbs are too low! I think carbs, especially simple carbs like bread and sugar, should be limited. Complex carbs in moderation. That works for me. And the occasional treat like a homemade dessert on the weekend or a special occasion.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Use grams and not percentages.

Start with protein. .7 to 1 gram per lb of bodyweight, use lean bodyweight if you're very overweight. Fats are around .4 grams per lb of lean bodyweight. Fill in the rest of your targeted calories with whatever you want.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    bevsiemens wrote: »
    I'm tired of fad diets that drastically reduce carbs, fat, sugar or whatever. They don't work for me ... I get really cranky and cheat. I find I am more satiated and less likely to cheat when I eat a balanced diet. I read online that the most effective approach for many people is eating a range of 5 to 15% carbs, 25 to 35% protein, and 45 to 65% fat (healthy fat, obviously). Thoughts?

I support people eating however satiates them while providing minimum needs for protein and fats.

I'm confused because you say you're "tired of fad diets that drastically reduce carbs" and then go on to ask about keto macros, which, unless you are a juvenile epileptic, is a fad diet that that drastically reduces carbs, and so cannot be considered "balanced."

Here's how MFP gets their default macros:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

"...The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends eating within the following ranges:

Carbohydrates: 45–65% of calories
    Fat: 25–35% of calories
    Protein: 10–30% of calories

...MyFitnessPal’s current default goals distribute calories as follows: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat."
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Give it a try if you want, there is nothing inherently unhealthy about reducing carbs (especially processed and high glycemic carbs) and replacing those calories with healthy fats. Everyone is different, and while most folks might consider the macro splits you listed as a fad, you might find that you are one of those "many people". If you find that isn't sustainable, or is too restrictive/stressful, then experiment with a different mix of macros. Organizations put out these guidelines and recommendations as a suggested starting point for the average person. They aren't Laws etched into stone tablets. You'll most likely need to figure out what works for you - what effortlessly keeps you healthy and can be your forever way of eating. As your health, body, and activity levels change you will likely want to tweak those macros to suit your present needs.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb because I don't particularly like bread, pasta, rice, etc. But healthy fruit and veggies in low to healthy amounts take my carbs way over that percentage.
  • Dr_Jay_23
    Dr_Jay_23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go with 35% proteins /35% carbs/30% fat. its balanced and works for me. It was recommended by my Dr.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    LOL you people have to get away from percentages...
  • Carollee24
    Carollee24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find that if I try to count my percentages I get frustrated and the eating plan becomes hard for me. So I have studied the main foods I eat, learned how to cook them and the portion size and go from there. I am usually amazed at the end of the day how near to my calorie range for loosing weight that I am and without all the counting etc throughout the day. I just log the food in and let the fitnesspal count it out for me. So far so good. I am open to change along the way but for now it is a good place for me to be. Best wishes everyone!
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I tell people to play with it till you find your sweet spot.

I started on the ADA standard diabetic diet at 50% carb 30% protein 20% fat... for a while it was okay, I mean I lost some weight with it, but I struggled with it. It didn't make me feel good, it made me hungry and I had a lot of cravings, it was hard to maintain.

I started changing the macros. Put down the carbs, put up the protein, put up the fats... changes +/- 5-10% at a time.

I found the more I lowered my carbs, the better it was for me. But I was putting protein up a little too high. Then I started raising the fats as I continued to lower carbs, and I really started getting better. I found my sweet spot at 5% carbs/25% protein/70% fat.

I don't follow any specific diet plan but it seems that how I eat is similar to keto. Keto may be considered a "fad" diet but eating low carb/high fat isn't a fad, various human cultures have been living like that for centuries.

No one diet works for anyone, that's why it is so important to try moving the numbers around and experiment. See how lowering one thing/raising another for a couple of months makes you feel. How do your labs look. If not better, then tweak again. Personalize it till you find the best combination for you that keeps you healthy, sated, and is a way you can live with.

• dmeri77
    dmeri77 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I have been focusing on low carb mainly because I'm T2 diabetic but Im not on any specific diet. I also have been doing intermittent fasting 16/8 for the past year or so. I stay away from fast food for the most part but there are cheats here and there.

I recently gave up alcohol as well so hopefully I will see some improvement.

I say just do whatever works for you, everyone is different. Whatever you come up with make sure it's sustainable.

Cheers!!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options

You're saying you're fed up of diets telling you to eat x and reduce y, yet you want to do this again, this time with high fat?

The secret is that everyone is different and some people thrive on a high fat diet while others would gnaw their arm off, again others need a diet higher in carbs and others feel full and happy on higher protein. Don't listen to what 'they' say, instead you need to figure out what works for you.

Why not just log your food truthfully for a bit and eat what you'd normally eat. Then make small changes, like: oh, that breakfast was so high in calories. What happens if I reduce the size a bit, or replace something with something else. And then note how you feel with that. Left you starving? Try something else. And who knows, maybe you're someone who needs a huge breakfast. Then experiment with another meal and figure out this way what your needs are.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Yep most people get cranky when they leave out carbs and then they cheat, a very common scenario.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I eat 5% carbs /25% protein /70% fat. That's 20 grams or less of carbs per day. Low-carb diets aren't a fad, they are how many cultures ate for ages. As we evolved, humans only ate plants when they couldn't get meat. There's reasons for that.

Fat is more satiating, when you're diet is high fat/low carb most people report a significant decrease in hunger pangs and cravings between meals.

Also when your body goes off carbs it eventually becomes fat-adapted (burns fat for fuel instead of recently consumed carbs). Fat adaption is associated with decreased appetite, higher energy levels, and improved sleep.

Carbs make a lot of people hungrier; so cutting them a little bit doesn't work. That's why people get cranky then "cheat."

Mainly it depends on the kind of carbs-- moderate to low-carb veggies & fruits are fine for most (not all) people on low-carb diets. They don't tend to stir up cravings or cause massive blood sugar spikes, they don't make you hungry.

Added sugar and grains are the real culprits. Sugar we know is unnecessary, but grains are equally unnecessary. There is no such thing as "unprocessed grains" because we can't digest them without processing them. Even "brown" or "whole" grains are processed, just less processed.

Grains digest so quickly that they are harder to fill up on and make you hungry for more quite quickly. It's a long and crazy story what grains do to the metabolism, especially anyone who is insulin resistant, diabetic, hypoglycemic, etc. (which most people in my country are, many undiagnosed).

There are tricks people use to slow down the digestion of grains-- eat them in moderation, choose whole grains, eat them with protein, etc. Another solution is, don't eat them, lol. Problem solved. There is nothing grains give us that you can't get from veggies, fruits, and animal products.

We like grains, let's face it they're good. Seems impossible to think of giving them up-- until you do and realize you don't care anymore because you're feeling so much better without them.

This is getting long and has the potential to get longer because it's a complex subject. Feel free to ask me any specific questions about what my diet is like or how it has affected me.

I'll just end with this-- I do not feel restricted at all eating this way. On the contrary, I feel more free than ever, like a drug addict free of the drug and my head is finally clear. I don't miss it, I don't feel I'm missing out anything, and I'm getting healthier.

PS to anyone- if you eat carbs, that's fine. Not judging. I wish you well. I'm not asking you to change. If eating grains or whatever works for you, that's great that your body can handle it. If you enjoy some sugar sometimes as a treat, likewise, that's fantastic. I'm happy you can do that. Really. Just offering an alternative perspective here.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I eat 5% carbs /25% protein /70% fat. That's 20 grams or less of carbs per day. Low-carb diets aren't a fad, they are how many cultures ate for ages. As we evolved, humans only ate plants when they couldn't get meat. There's reasons for that.

Fat is more satiating, when you're diet is high fat/low carb most people report a significant decrease in hunger pangs and cravings between meals.

Also when your body goes off carbs it eventually becomes fat-adapted (burns fat for fuel instead of recently consumed carbs). Fat adaption is associated with decreased appetite, higher energy levels, and improved sleep.

Carbs make a lot of people hungrier; so cutting them a little bit doesn't work. That's why people get cranky then "cheat."

Mainly it depends on the kind of carbs-- moderate to low-carb veggies & fruits are fine for most (not all) people on low-carb diets. They don't tend to stir up cravings or cause massive blood sugar spikes, they don't make you hungry.

Added sugar and grains are the real culprits. Sugar we know is unnecessary, but grains are equally unnecessary. There is no such thing as "unprocessed grains" because we can't digest them without processing them. Even "brown" or "whole" grains are processed, just less processed.

Grains digest so quickly that they are harder to fill up on and make you hungry for more quite quickly. It's a long and crazy story what grains do to the metabolism, especially anyone who is insulin resistant, diabetic, hypoglycemic, etc. (which most people in my country are, many undiagnosed).

There are tricks people use to slow down the digestion of grains-- eat them in moderation, choose whole grains, eat them with protein, etc. Another solution is, don't eat them, lol. Problem solved. There is nothing grains give us that you can't get from veggies, fruits, and animal products.

We like grains, let's face it they're good. Seems impossible to think of giving them up-- until you do and realize you don't care anymore because you're feeling so much better without them.

This is getting long and has the potential to get longer because it's a complex subject. Feel free to ask me any specific questions about what my diet is like or how it has affected me.

I'll just end with this-- I do not feel restricted at all eating this way. On the contrary, I feel more free than ever, like a drug addict free of the drug and my head is finally clear. I don't miss it, I don't feel I'm missing out anything, and I'm getting healthier.

PS to anyone- if you eat carbs, that's fine. Not judging. I wish you well. I'm not asking you to change. If eating grains or whatever works for you, that's great that your body can handle it. If you enjoy some sugar sometimes as a treat, likewise, that's fantastic. I'm happy you can do that. Really. Just offering an alternative perspective here.

Well said! You're absolutely right, there are some people who just do better low carb. And that's great!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

[snip]

This is an interesting topic. I think it's more accurate to say that before the modern age, people ate what was available. Sure, people in the arctic north ate high fat. Mangoes weren't available; muktuk (sea mammal blubber) was.

However, people such as the Inuit weren't just eating random high fat, they were eating high fat specific to their environment, and they had genetic mutations that made this beneficial to them.

How the Inuit adapted to Ice Age living and a high-fat diet

Greenland natives - the Inuit - have mutations in genes that control how the body uses fat which provides the clearest evidence to date that human populations are adapted to particular diets according to new UCL research.

The genetic differences allow the Inuit to physically adapt to survive Arctic conditions and live healthily on a traditional diet which is rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids from marine mammal fat.

The Inuit diet is an example of how high levels of omega-3 fatty acids can counterbalance the bad health effects of a high-fat diet. Fish oils were thought to be protective as the Inuit have a low incidence of cardiovascular disease, but having discovered their special genetic adaptations to this diet, the researchers from UCL, UC Berkeley and the University of Copenhagen say the benefits of the Inuit diet cannot be extrapolated to other populations.

Read more: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2015/sep/how-inuit-adapted-ice-age-living-and-high-fat-diet

I think you're also saying that satiety is individual, and I agree with that. For me it is also related to my environment. I like hot foods when it's cold, and cold foods when it's hot. During my months in south Costa Rica, a diet full of tropical fruit, rice, and beans - high carb and lowish protein - worked well for me. But once I came back to the US north east, I wanted more protein and cooked vegetables, and less raw fruit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

[snip]

This is an interesting topic. I think it's more accurate to say that before the modern age, people ate what was available. Sure, people in the arctic north ate high fat. Mangoes weren't available; muktuk (sea mammal blubber) was.

However, people such as the Inuit weren't just eating random high fat, they were eating high fat specific to their environment, and they had genetic mutations that made this beneficial to them.

How the Inuit adapted to Ice Age living and a high-fat diet

Greenland natives - the Inuit - have mutations in genes that control how the body uses fat which provides the clearest evidence to date that human populations are adapted to particular diets according to new UCL research.

The genetic differences allow the Inuit to physically adapt to survive Arctic conditions and live healthily on a traditional diet which is rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids from marine mammal fat.

The Inuit diet is an example of how high levels of omega-3 fatty acids can counterbalance the bad health effects of a high-fat diet. Fish oils were thought to be protective as the Inuit have a low incidence of cardiovascular disease, but having discovered their special genetic adaptations to this diet, the researchers from UCL, UC Berkeley and the University of Copenhagen say the benefits of the Inuit diet cannot be extrapolated to other populations.

Read more: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2015/sep/how-inuit-adapted-ice-age-living-and-high-fat-diet

I think you're also saying that satiety is individual, and I agree with that. For me it is also related to my environment. I like hot foods when it's cold, and cold foods when it's hot. During my months in south Costa Rica, a diet full of tropical fruit, rice, and beans - high carb and lowish protein - worked well for me. But once I came back to the US north east, I wanted more protein and cooked vegetables, and less raw fruit.

Not surprising, humans can generate over 50 mutation per generation (20 years) and adapting to a high omega 3 diet for the Inuit makes sense. Scandinavian and early European not to mention other northern civilizations around the world that were hunter gathers and lived above the 39th parallel consumed a similar diet except for maybe the high omega 3's, for those long winter months that lasted most of the year during the last ice age of 125,000 to 14,500 years ago. Humans are adaptable and hopefully we adapt better to the diet we now have the pleasure to be consuming.
  • Fattyohfat
    Fattyohfat Posts: 51 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    My goal is...
    50% protein
    30% carbs
    20% fats
    I eat a lot of grass fed beef, chicken, eggs, salmon, bacon, cruciferous vegetables, some brown rice, some legumes, and avocado or olive oil.
    Like a few others have said I don't get bogged down by the percentages. If I eat protein the most in a day I am happy.
    I have found in order not to be hungry I also include 1 protein shake a day as a snack or drink as part of a meal. I am a big fan of Ensure™ MAX Protein.
    So far down 40 lbs in 2 months.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fattyohfat wrote: »
    My goal is...
    50% protein
    30% carbs
    20% fats
    I eat a lot of grass fed beef, chicken, eggs, salmon, bacon, cruciferous vegetables, some brown rice, some legumes, and avocado or olive oil.
    Like a few others have said I don't get bogged down by the percentages. If I eat protein the most in a day I am happy.
    I have found in order not to be hungry I also include 1 protein shake a day as a snack or drink as part of a meal. I am a big fan of Ensure™ MAX Protein.
    So far down 40 lbs in 2 months.

40 pounds in 2 months seems like a massive drop, how much weight have you got to lose?