Keto Newbie

Options
2ยป

Replies

• cam94z28
    cam94z28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just starting Keto, and was wondering what everyone's preferred sweetener is? Unfortunately mine was Splenda, so I need to find a new one. I refuse to drink coffee without some kind of sweetener ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Look into allulose. It's supposed to taste just like sugar but with 0 net carbs and can even be baked with successfully.
  • Pastafan
    Pastafan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just drink the coffee black. Weight loss takes sacrifice I realized. I used to drink it with light cream and sugar, but I wanted to lose weight more than I wanted to be fat. You get used to it in a few days especially ifs all you can have other than water on a 3 day fast.. I now drink it with a splash of half/half and it is very good.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Just drink the coffee black. Weight loss takes sacrifice I realized. I used to drink it with light cream and sugar, but I wanted to lose weight more than I wanted to be fat. You get used to it in a few days especially ifs all you can have other than water on a 3 day fast.. I now drink it with a splash of half/half and it is very good.

No. This is the mindset that will cause you to fail long term. Over and over again. If she wants sweetener in her coffee, she should find one that works for her. Also, you tell her to just "take her coffee black" and then go on to say you add half and half to yours? What in the world? I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. I wouldn't have bothered responding, but this is problematic advice for anyone to read.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Just starting Keto, and was wondering what everyone's preferred sweetener is? Unfortunately mine was Splenda, so I need to find a new one. I refuse to drink coffee without some kind of sweetener ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Splenda spikes my blood sugar, and because I have type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance, it is not the best sweetener for me. I've heard a bunch of people on low-carb diets say the same. Another complaint is (that I can agree with to some extent) is that artificial sweeteners can still trigger sugar/carb cravings and still activate that brain chemistry. It can knock some people out of ketosis, too.

I'm not specifically on Keto, never read like a Keto book or anything, but how I eat is closest to Keto than any other... specifically "dirty/lazy/cheap" Keto :p .

But it came down to it where I realized after giving up all added sugars, all grains, any high-starch veggies and fruits, etc.-- my artificial sweeteners in coffee & snacks were still tripping me up.

I thought I could give them up in everything but my daily coffee. Now, COFFEE is the sweet elixir of life for me. When I wake up and smell it brewing I practically hear choirs of angels singing. I couldn't even think about food or going anywhere until I had at least 2 cups.

I've been addicted to it since I was 14, so 40 years, long before the first modern coffee shop ever sprang up in Seattle. I thought it unfathomable to drink coffee without sweetener. It had been hard enough switching from sugar to sweetener and then lowering the amount of sweetener!!!

But give it up? NEVER!!!!! or so I thought.

So I gave up sweeteners except for coffee-- even cut down to 2 cups per day, one sweetener pack per cup.

It still tripped me up-- blood sugar spikes, sugar cravings, ketosis negative, etc.

Then I finally sucked it up, went high fat and gave up the daily sweeteners too... At first I'd sporadically down an oz or two of black coffee like a shot, just to avoid the caffeine headaches. Gross, but a valiant attempt to make do.

Then, I started putting 2 tbsp of heavy cream in my coffee. And hey, we had something there...

Within 2 weeks, I preferred it that way. Turned out the creaminess factor was more delicious than the sweetness factor.

Then I started experimenting with fats in coffee-- whipping in a tbsp of butter or tbsp of coconut oil using my stick blender. At first it sounded cray cray, but it's da bomb.

My fave breakfast coffee now is taking a raw egg and tbsp of butter, then using my stick blender on high speed to whisk them as I pour in boiling-hot coffee (to cook the egg). It gets so creamy and frothy, I find it delicious and satiating. REALLY keeps any sweet cravings at bay, I almost never get sweet cravings anymore. Everything naturally tastes sweeter to me, even vegetables.

I haven't completely given up sweeteners altogether-- I'll use some every now and then for a little treat, like making low-carb cookies or something. And I don't worry as much about which one I do use, as I don't think using them sparingly is gonna hurt. Though I personally found things like allulose & stevia the least blood sugar affecting, I'll still grab Splenda on occasion simply because I still have a big box of it in the closet.

But I never need it in my coffee anymore, and I don't even miss it!!! If I could time-travel back and tell that to myself a few months ago, my past self would have laughed her *kitten* off at that insinuation and protested with all her might :D:D:D

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Splenda spikes my blood sugar, and because I have type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance, it is not the best sweetener for me. I've heard a bunch of people on low-carb diets say the same. Another complaint is (that I can agree with to some extent) is that artificial sweeteners can still trigger sugar/carb cravings and still activate that brain chemistry. It can knock some people out of ketosis, too.

This isn't backed by science. Sugars along with calories cause blood sugar increases, period. Keep in mind that blood glucose and insulin are two completely different things. Sweeteners on their own also don't kick someone out of ketosis.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Just starting Keto, and :D:D was wondering what everyone's preferred sweetener is? Unfortunately mine was Splenda, so I need to find a new one. I refuse to drink coffee without some kind of sweetener ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

This isn't backed by science. Sugars along with calories cause blood sugar increases, period. Keep in mind that blood glucose and insulin are two completely different things. Sweeteners on their own also don't kick someone out of ketosis.

LOL yeah, because science has never been wrong in the history of the world, especially when it comes to diet.

There have never been conflicting studies, reports, or scientific opinions.

Individual metabolisms are all absolutely identical and there are never any variations between two different human beings.

And anyone and everyone who has results that go against that perfect, heavenly scientific claim is 100% lying or stupid, even when they are using a continuous glucose monitor and doing controlled experiments to see what different things do to their body.

Okay... you keep believing that. You do you. :D

BTW there are studies out there backing up that artificial sweeteners can affect blood sugar, if you wanna do research it is there you just have to google it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Just starting Keto, and :D:D was wondering what everyone's preferred sweetener is? Unfortunately mine was Splenda, so I need to find a new one. I refuse to drink coffee without some kind of sweetener ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

LOL yeah, because science has never been wrong in the history of the world, especially when it comes to diet.

There have never been conflicting studies, reports, or scientific opinions.

Individual metabolisms are all absolutely identical and there are never any variations between two different human beings.

And anyone and everyone who has results that go against that perfect, heavenly scientific claim is 100% lying or stupid, even when they are using a continuous glucose monitor and doing controlled experiments to see what different things do to their body.

Okay... you keep believing that. You do you. :D

BTW there are studies out there backing up that artificial sweeteners can affect blood sugar, if you wanna do research it is there you just have to google it.

If artificial sweeteners raised blood sugar then people consuming them would become more insulin resistant and artificial sweeteners would contribute to diabetes, which I've never seen any literature that supports that. Maybe you could link those studies where AS raise blood sugar where an insulin response is required to remove those sugars.
  • jjroxi7
    jjroxi7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like Stevia and Monk fruit the best
  • MachOne4
    MachOne4 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use xylitol. You can get it in health food stores. It looks and tastes pretty much the same as regular granulated sugar.