Keto Newbie

Options
Just starting Keto, and was wondering what everyone's preferred sweetener is? Unfortunately mine was Splenda, so I need to find a new one. I refuse to drink coffee without some kind of sweetener 😂😂 Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 😁😁
Tagged:

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Splenda?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what's wrong with Splenda?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Splenda is splendid....
  • BlondieJenn75
    BlondieJenn75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I read that sucralose and aspartame should be avoided in Keto 🤔
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Post the article.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options

Probably the same person that says it's carbs that make you fat.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Probably the same person that says it's carbs that make you fat.

Bet
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

Why not try it? There aren't keto police coming after you if you do it wrong.

I doubt it'll throw you out of ketosis, and ketosis isn't essential for weight loss anyway, if weight loss is your key goal.

Try it. If you're not losing weight after a few weeks, then drink your coffee black for a few weeks (or phase out coffee altogether for a few weeks) without changing anything else, and see if that makes a difference. I know how I'd bet on that question.

Best wishes!
  • Jays_fit_quest
    Jays_fit_quest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    usrtk.org (US Right to Know) recently released an article. Stating sucralose (Splenda) is linked to possible health issues leukemia, weight gain, obesity, diabetes, liver inflammation, and other illnesses.

So other than those things, I just don't like the aftertaste
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    usrtk.org (US Right to Know) recently released an article. Stating sucralose (Splenda) is linked to possible health issues leukemia, weight gain, obesity, diabetes, liver inflammation, and other illnesses.

Correlation isn't causation. Also if you look at studies like that, most refer to rats or mice as test subjects and the dosage they give them can be 10X or more in concentration for them compared to what a human may consume in a day.
    Now if it's the aftertaste you don't like, then that's a different story.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Correlation isn't causation. Also if you look at studies like that, most refer to rats or mice as test subjects and the dosage they give them can be 10X or more in concentration for them compared to what a human may consume in a day.
    Now if it's the aftertaste you don't like, then that's a different story.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Shoe size perfectly correlates with reading comprehension and I mean perfectly. Does anyone actually believe that someone with bigger feet have better reading comprehension, no, of course not and most would probably dismiss it outright as idiotic?

In epidemiology where these observations are made have these pesky little things called confounders, and the confounder of shoe size is age and shoe size is an amazing proxy for age and age is certainly correlated with reading comprehension. But age tells us nothing about reading comprehension in and of itself so there's another confounder that determines this and it's education. As we age the more education we accumulate and education is a proxy for reading comprehension. Basically the bigger ones shoe size the older you are and the older you are the more you've been to school and the more you've been to school the more educated you are and the more educated you are the better reading comprehension one has. And that's why epidemiology is seen as the weapon of mass confusion.

The WHO is where this study originated and the WHO almost use epidemiology exclusively and why conclusions of causality are suspect by most nutritional scientists, and I wouldn't worry about spenda but that's just my opinion. cheers
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    If you study the full research on artificial sweeteners, you will realize you have to have like 25 servings per day (or something to that effect) to reach the potential risk. And the research never confirmed a link to humans. I will try to find the details. But I understand that we will hear about hundreds / thousands of possible carcinogens in our lifetime and which ones we decide to avoid will be personal to each of us so no judgement.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    here’s a piece of what i read, but i would love more details from other sources that provide math like this, even if it’s contradictory:

According to the study, the lowest observed S6A concentration for genotoxicity—a type of genetic damage that is linked to cancer—was 707 micrograms per milliliter (µg/mL).2

Based on a 2016 study, the concentration of sucralose in the blood can reach about 200 to 400 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL) after drinking 250 milligrams (mg) of sucralose—the amount in four cans of diet soda. But for two participants, the concentration spiked even more, exceeding 1,500 ng/mL.3

Even if your plasma sucralose concentration were to reach 1,500 ng/mL after drinking four cans of diet soda, you’d have to drink around 1,800 cans of diet soda to reach the lowest observed concentration for genotoxicity of S6A.

An older study from 2000 also looked at blood concentrations after a dose of sucralose. One hour after administering 10 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) of sucralose, the participants’ sucralose blood levels peaked and reached almost 600 µg/mL.4 The participants weighed between 126 to 176 pounds, and the dose of sucralose they received was the equivalent of about 47 to 66 packets of Splenda. The peak of 600 µg/mL still doesn’t reach S6A’s lowest observed concentration for genotoxicity.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options

They are just fine. There is a strain/brand/whatever of clean keto that says don't use artificial sweeteners, but other than certain sugar alcohols, they will not raise your blood sugar or kick you out of ketosis. The only caveat with Splenda is the, I think, maltodextrin in the powder used as a bulking agent which is a carb and at higher levels (using large amounts in say cooking) might be an issue.
  • ChickieBoom22
    ChickieBoom22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using Truvia...I don't like it as much as Splenda but it's fine in coffee and tea. I still use Splenda in my Greek yogurt.

Trader Joe's also has pure stevia but it takes some getting used to as there's almost a bitter after taste.
  • raenright
    raenright Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use granulated xylitol or erythritol as a sweetener while on keto, nice in coffee.
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I just started a medically supervised ketogenic diet to reverse prediabetes. Their recommended sweeteners are:
    Stevia
    Sucralose (Splenda)
    Monk fruit
    Allulose
    Sugar, alcohols- xylitol, and erythritol
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I like Monkfruit/ Luo Han Guo extract. I buy it dried or fresh in Chinatown by me. :)
  • NettieK630
    NettieK630 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sweet eater but I've seen a lot of good reviews for Swerve. Supposedly no aftertaste and it's calorie-free and doesn't raise blood sugar or insulin levels.
  • aprilgall
    aprilgall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite sweetener is monk fruit and also allulose. Stevia does the trick as well for some things. Keto was difficult for me when I started back in February, but within 3 months my diabetes was well-controlled and I felt 100% better. I didn't lose tons of weight but I was healthier, and with that I was able to move better and THEN the weight started falling. I stay under 50g of carbs per day and it's worked very well for me and the diabetes.