Am i counting my calories right?

Options
ok. so I was very confused about how much quantity does one cup exactly have & in general measurements & found this site: http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

It says, 1/2 cup = 8 tbsp (dry measurement) etc etc

I dont have a measuring cup at home.. how do I know if I am calculating my calories correctly?? Please check the link & let me know. Is this what you all follow?

Replies

• 76wendyful
    Options
    I would suggest buying measuring cups and spoons and even a food scale. You don't want to guess when it some to measuring food if you are trying to lose weight. That was my downfall, and I soon foundout that I was eating way more than a serving. Good luck to you !
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Dry measure and liquid measure are different. You would be much better off with a digital scale, one with a tare button. If you can't afford one then get separate measuring cups for dry and liquid.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food, buying accurate scales was one of the things that helped me most when I was starting out on here. I couldn't believe how wrong I'd been underestimating how much I was eating. Being from the UK I don't use cups so I look in the database to find the food entry for grams.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    volumetric measurements vary. Mass doesn't. Weigh your food for accurate calorie counting.
  • cgavin77
    Options
    you can get an entire set of measuring cups at the dollar store...
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a useful little scale, it's not digital but it works, and it's less than five bucks. They also have lots of measuring cups and spoons.
    I've been using my scale so much I think I'm going to buy a digital one though. So useful!!
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!! I'll look for food scale & measuring cups in that order..
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Invest in some cups and spoons. They will not break the bank. As others mentioned, a food scale will be most accurate, but I never had one and it never hindered my weight loss goals. Either way, don't just eyeball it, you need some form of measurement or else you will be doing a lot of over/under estimating.
  • cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think you're in the UK?? I got my measuring cups from Poundland-they are bright orange but have all the measuring things from a teaspoon to a US cup measure.