How Did You Pick Your Goal Weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• Chaosdrone
    Options
    my instructor at job corp told me if i gert to 285 he would send me on a job interview so i can start working
  • jrn1115
    Options
    At the gym I go to they set up an initial fitness consultation and when I got weighed for the first time the program they use (Tanita, I think its called) said my healthy weight was 180.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I picked it as a starting point I want to see how I look at the weight and go from there, I dont wanna be overly muscular but I wanna put on more muscle cause I dont wanna be scrawny either even though I have quite a bit of muscle right now with all the fat though its hard to tell just how much is there lol I want an atheltic look not a bodybuilder look if all that makes sense.
  • chocolattahottie
    Options
    Someone referenced this formula once, so I used that as a rough estimate. It takes into account your current muscle mass so you can calculate a number that doesn't eat into muscle as well as fat. I'll use my starting numbers as an example.

Current weight X percentage body fat=Pounds of fat
    125.6 X .265=33.284

Current weight-Pounds of fat=Lean mass
    125.6-33.284=92.316

Current weight X desired body fat percentage= new amount of fat
    125.6 X .20=25.12

Lean mass + new body fat=Goal Weight
    92.316+25.12=117.436

I'm actually aiming for 115, since I'm pretty short.
    THANK YOU!!! this helped SO MUCH!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My previous low weight was about 139lbs and I knew I could do with losing about a stone back then. I was a comfy 14 (UK) at that weight but would like to get down to a 12. 125lbs would give me a decent BMI and I think it's a weight that, with some effort, I could realistically achieve and maintain.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The last time I was successful with my weight loss I remember that I felt and looked great at 163. That's about 15 pounds over my suggested goal.
    So I became discouraged because I could not get beyond 163 and slowly packed it back on.

I am not making that mistake this time.

163 it is.
  • g_warne
    Options
    I'm not super fussy, just want to feel good about my body which for me is around 125. However I wanted to be about 120 but not sure if that's realistic for me as I'm quite muscular and curvy at 5'5".
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I want to get to about 10.5 stone it's within my BMI.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a weight problem until my late 40s, so I just picked a weight that was normal for me as a young adult. I went back a decade or so further in time, weight wise, than I originally intended, to my weight around the time I graduated from college. I wish I could say the pounds are distributed the same.:grumble:
    I was in my early 30s when I started putting on serious weight. I was ca.70kg all though my early aduly life.

I would be quite happy as a middle-aged man to be a happy 80kg. I know that's still in the overweight range, but if I could get back to a 34" waist and a L 40" chest, I'd be quite content.

It's not about being skinny... I was never skinny and don't think it'd be healthy for my frame... it's about being happy and being able to maintain a healthy weight.
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    I went for my lowest in the past decade. It is the weight that all my near ones refer to "you looked sooooooooooo great then".
  • marzahl68
    Options
    I looked starved at 150 when I was 26, my goal is 155 now that I'm 43.
    I will be happy with 165, total happy! I would still like to know if I can get down to 155, so I set two different goals.
  • caroline787
    Options
    I picked a weight about 20 lbs less than ive ever been because if i gain i have some wiggle room. its probably unreasonable but ill try hard...
  • traciek505
    Options
    I took the healthy weight range for my body type and height, then picked the middle number.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I used my BMI and then picked the number at the VERY TOP of it. (ie for my height I should be between 130 and 160...so I picked 160). I figured I'd reassess after I made that goal if I need to lose anymore or just tone etc.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I did a search "healthy weight calculator for women" or something along that line, and checked out a few sites that seemed legit, like a medical site and a health insurance site, etc. They generally ask for your height and body build...can't remember if they ask age or not. Anyway, the calculator gives a range. After checking with a few sites and seeing the ranges, I chose the weight that was the middle of the range as my goal. I may adjust some when I get close.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I used my BMI and then picked the number at the VERY TOP of it. (ie for my height I should be between 130 and 160...so I picked 160). I figured I'd reassess after I made that goal if I need to lose anymore or just tone etc.

Same here.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have weighed less than 140 only once in my adult life and my family (after not seeing me for over a year) thought I had cancer! At 5'8", I get to carry a few more pounds than others :) I have my favorite pair of jeans hanging in the closet, waiting to come out to play so I set my goal weight of 170 at what I weighed when I wore them. We will see what happens from there.