"Perfect Weight vs Proper Weight

Options
rtlenton
rtlenton Posts: 31 Member
edited October 2023 in Motivation and Support
Greetings,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my "goal" weight. I am currently 186lbs, but heavily muscled. Unfortunately, I also have a lot of fat. According to many charts I've seen, given my height of only 5,6', I should really be under 160lbs and that is currently my goal.

That said, I have been reading that most people's goal weight likely isn't what their body "wants", i.e., I may have a goal of 160lbs, but my body, all other things being equal, may prefer 170 or 155.

Has anyone here simply kept eating healthy over the land-haul and simply landed at a good weight for their particular body? In other words, has anyone reached a point where they eat well and then all weight loss stops because you've reached the body's perfect weight, not your mind's? I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Roger

Replies

• rtlenton
    Options
    Cheers, that helps.

• rtlenton
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks.

• rtlenton
    Options
    rtlenton wrote: »
    Humans start mixing in the preferred appearance (ie dudes want to get swole and women want what they want) and our ego overrides our biology. That's not wrong, just sort of what is.

I see what you mean. Thanks a bunch.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I look more at BF% than I do weight. At a maintenance weight of 180ish, that put me at around 13% BF. I maintained that for quite some time when I was racing bikes, but I really had to be pretty diligent with my training regimen as well as diet. I've maintained below that at around 175ish and I felt like I pretty much had to make it my life's mission and it just wasn't fun. My sweet spot is around 185-190 and around 15-17% BF...it is where I tend to fall more naturally with a relatively good nutritional profile and exercise that is geared more to active recreation than "workouts" or training.

In my experience, the lower BF% you want to have and maintain, the more work you have to put in and for me, it's only worth it to a point. For myself, trying to keep up a regimen that left me around 13% or lower became unsustainable due to increased family obligations, work promotions, and other things going on in life...and it turned into burn out trying to juggle everything. My ultimate objective is to be healthy and happy and enjoy my life and at one point I was so deep into training for cycling events and whatnot that I think I forgot that. My diet is pretty good overall, but I have indulgences regularly these days...my exercise these days revolves primarily around active recreation like walking my dog, weekend hikes or a trail ride on my MTB, the occasional road ride...kayaking here and there, etc.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Agreed with cwolfman13 - I look at body fat percentage as probably my most important metric, the one I care about the most. I can't afford to have DEXA scans all the time and I know my scale is inaccurate but I sure know if there's a bigger or smaller pooch around my abdominal region! And I know how my clothes feel. So to answer the original question I think my ideal weight, the good one for my body, is one that has maybe 15-20% body fat. At the simplest level, to be fit and strong and have a minimal belly. I don't give a crap what magazines or websites say I SHOULD look like, I just want to be functional and not have lots of bulgy squishy bits. My body doesn't shore fat on hips or up top, it's all in the stomach, so I need to lose that much more fat before I get rid of that belly.
  • Rodney_Mckay
    Rodney_Mckay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    BMI is a load of crap. It is a very vague indication. Once you start getting near your goal you can tell if you need to loose more or not. If you really want to be precise about it, at that point you can get a dexa test. Based on where you live it might not be cheap. To answer your question, your body doesn't 'want' anything, only you might be tempted to eat more or less of a certain food that will make you either loose, maintain or gain based on how much you endulge / avoid it. If you are asking about ideal fat %, it is probably around 15% for men.
  • rtlenton
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about the question, because that idea that my body wants some thing, and my brain wants some other thing - that doesn't match how I think about things. To me, I'm all one thing. It's sometimes a kind of a complicated and confusing thing :D , but it's still just one experience, not some kind of battleground. 🤷‍♀️

Those are some good points. To be clear by asking about mind vs body. I mean my mind may think I should look a certain way, but this is only so much my body is realistically able to do.

Thanks for your points.

• rtlenton
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My ultimate objective is to be healthy and happy and enjoy my life and at one point I was so deep into training for cycling events and whatnot that I think I forgot that.

Good point.

Yes, BF% may be a better measure. I think I'll wait until I'm feeling pretty good/healthy and then go get a body scan to get an accurate BF%. Hopefully, then I will have a good idea about what a healthy weight is for me, give or take a couple of pounds.

Cheers.

• rtlenton
    Options
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    . At the simplest level, to be fit and strong and have a minimal belly. I don't give a crap what magazines or websites say I SHOULD look like, I just want to be functional and not have lots of bulgy squishy bits.

Good outlook, thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Here's a way to figure out your goal weight regardless of height or muscle because it's based on bodyfat percentage.

Find your lean mass. Then figure out what body fat percentage you want to be. Then apply the following formula:

Lean mass divided by 1 minus desired body fat percentage.

So say your lean mass is 150lbs and you want to be 15% body fat

150 divided by (1-.15) or .85 which equals 176lbs

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rtlenton
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Here's a way to figure out your goal weight regardless of height or muscle because it's based on bodyfat percentage.

Will do! Thanks.

• mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what I did. Thought I'd land around 174 since that had been a weight I'd maintained in the past. When I got there I kept eating the way I was and moving and kept losing weight. Ended up around 145 and have stuck there for years.
  • rtlenton
    Options
    mjglantz wrote: »
    I kept eating the way I was and moving and kept losing weight. Ended up around 145 and have stuck there for years.

Awesome! That's actually great motivation for me. Thanks!

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Everyone should read the Wikipedia entry on BMI (weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared). It is a very simplistic metric. There are lots of healthy people with a BMI above 25!

And, there is no objective way to select a goal weight! You really have to feel it out. It's harder for some people to stay lighter (me included), so one thing to consider is how hard you are willing to work to maintain it.

Best of luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Find your lean mass.

The only way to do this accurately is to get a DEXA scan. Is that what you are suggesting?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Find your lean mass.

The only way to do this accurately is to get a DEXA scan. Is that what you are suggesting?

I'm thinking reasonable estimates are going to work fine for this. I've never had a DEXA for body comp, but I figure when BIA, "Navy Fat Calculator", visuals vs. online BF% photos are all suggesting similar numbers, it's plenty close enough to guide this sort of thing, as well as for estimating protein/fat needs. YMMV.