Protein

Options
Lildarlinz
Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
edited September 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
So I’ve lost 8lb so far :) made sure I’ve upped my protein intake

MFP says to have 60g a day…but today I’ve eaten 80 🤣

I’ve stuck to the macros that it calculates for me like under for carbs,fat and saturated

Is that a good thing? Especially if I’m not working out as such…like I don’t lift weights but I walk…

Just wondering if I’m getting too much protein x :)

Some calculators on Google say I can have 117g if I want…but again I don’t work out…I haven’t even do a sit up or a crunch or anything because I have had a bad back.

I don’t include any exercise within my calories…like I don’t track my exercises I’ve just put myself as sedentary…because on my work days…I am literally a couch potato…
I don’t eat my walking calories back neither

I will start working out this week though :) I promise :)

Thanks guys xx

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, MFP says you should have 60g? MFP uses the % macro split you choose for it.

We couldn't possibly have any idea whether it's too much or too little protein for you, without also knowing your height and weight.

Even if you aren't lifting, there's still benefit to having higher protein than the average person, if you are losing weight, and if you're older.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    For an average sized woman, the USDA thinks 60 is reasonable, maybe even a bit extra. Ditto for the British Nutrition Foundation. The USDA value, though, is pretty much minimum to avoid under-nutrition in an average lifestyle.

Getting more than minimum protein is fine, and may have extra benefits during weight loss, when active (weight lifting or anything else active, including an active job like in a hospital). We need a few extra calories to metabolize protein, and that can be a teeny bonus of getting plenty while losing weight.

Eighty grams of protein isn't that much, IMO. I'm a 5'5" woman, usually eat 100-120g protein, and have been doing that for 7 years now with no negative outcomes. Excess protein essentially just becomes calories for energy.

According to mainstream dietary guidelines, as long as you also get a suitable minimum of fat routinely, and plenty of veggies/fruits for micronutrients and fiber, you should be fine getting more than minimum protein. There are a few health conditions that require people to limit protein severely (kidney disease, alpha-gal allergy are a couple) . You'd know if you had one of those conditions.

• Lildarlinz
    Options
    What do you mean, MFP says you should have 60g? MFP uses the % macro split you choose for it.

We couldn't possibly have any idea whether it's too much or too little protein for you, without also knowing your height and weight.

Even if you aren't lifting, there's still benefit to having higher protein than the average person, if you are losing weight, and if you're older.

Sorry retro x
    I’m 5 foot 6 (167cm) I think
    And I’m 71.2kg (156lbs) if that helps :)

Yes I’ve put lose 2lb a week 1200 calories
    So it says I can have 60g of protein, 150g of carbs and 48g of fat :)
    The 1200 calories are not for long though…I’ve lost 8lb already when I lose 3lb I am going to up my calories to 1560 :D which will get me at a loss of 1lb a week :D

Set at sedentary…

Thank you for your comment xx
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    Your 1200 / 2lbs and 1560 / 1lb is a first approximation.

One assumes you log CONSISTENTLY (not necessarily accurately; but consistently).
    One assumes your weight graph shows your weight trajectory. NOT your individual weigh ins which could be high or low at any one point of time because you ate more sodium or you didn't poo enough... but your graph of weight change over time.

You take your weight change and assume that each lb of persistent change in your weight level corresponds to ABOUT 3500 calories (1kg about 7700)

You look at how much INTAKE you logged.
    You add your weight change to your intake.

For the purposes of calculation... that total is pretty much what your body / diet RESULTS say that your body is spending on an everyday basis (subject to the limitations of your logging success).

Now that you know what you're spending on average you can start predicting how many calories less than that you can try eating to have reasonable progress without over-doing things.

250 Cal a day over the long term means 0.5lbs a week or 26lbs a year, almost two rocks! (1 stone 12 lbs)
    375 Cal a day over the long terms means 0.75lbs a week or 39lbs a year, almost THREE rocks
    500 Cal a day over the long term means 1lb a week or 52lbs a year. almost 24 KILOS.

It SOUNDS to me that pretty much any of them will get you to where you want to be within reasonable time frame so don't get too hang up trying to eat the least you can to lose the fastest you can.

Protein (subject to known or not yet known medical condition) has no restriction / limit to how much you can eat assuming you also get the other nutrients you require.

Lipids also have some minimums and saturated fats seem to have some fairly universal frowning upon re: getting eaten in high doses. Anne gives good advice, above, on what to aim for there.

Fiber is good and again subject to your "local" gut conditions doesn't seem to have hard maximums though the recommended number is definitely something I try to exceed daily when it comes to myself as it makes me less grumpy in the morning!:smiley:
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

One assumes you log CONSISTENTLY (not necessarily accurately; but consistently).
    One assumes your weight graph shows your weight trajectory. NOT your individual weigh ins which could be high or low at any one point of time because you ate more sodium or you didn't poo enough... but your graph of weight change over time.

You take your weight change and assume that each lb of persistent change in your weight level corresponds to ABOUT 3500 calories (1kg about 7700)

For the purposes of calculation... that total is pretty much what your body / diet RESULTS say that your body is spending on an everyday basis (subject to the limitations of your logging success).

Now that you know what you're spending on average you can start predicting how many calories less than that you can try eating to have reasonable progress without over-doing things.

250 Cal a day over the long term means 0.5lbs a week or 26lbs a year, almost two rocks! (1 stone 12 lbs)
    375 Cal a day over the long terms means 0.75lbs a week or 39lbs a year, almost THREE rocks
    500 Cal a day over the long term means 1lb a week or 52lbs a year. almost 24 KILOS.

It SOUNDS to me that pretty much any of them will get you to where you want to be within reasonable time frame so don't get too hang up trying to eat the least you can to lose the fastest you can.

Protein (subject to known or not yet known medical condition) has no restriction / limit to how much you can eat assuming you also get the other nutrients you require.

Lipids also have some minimums and saturated fats seem to have some fairly universal frowning upon re: getting eaten in high doses. Anne gives good advice, above, on what to aim for there.

Fiber is good and again subject to your "local" gut conditions doesn't seem to have hard maximums though the recommended number is definitely something I try to exceed daily when it comes to myself as it makes me less grumpy in the morning!:smiley:

Thanks pav
    I read online that having too much protein can be bad for you like give u problems with your kidneys and stuff so I was just a bit worried I was over doing it :(

I’ve only got 2lb to go to get to my 1st weight goal and then I will up my calories a bit :)
    I just wanted to test myself and to be honest I do feel better than I ever have :)

I don’t miss the treats apart from my alcohol…but I can have a little tipple at Christmas just not too overboard 😘 xx
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2023
    Options
    No question that if there's known or not yet known but incipient kidney issues over doing protein would not be a great idea.

By the time you get your 5 to 10 a day and your base level of protein and your base level of fats, and your base level of fiber how many calories are left?

At that point i would be more guided by sustainability of effort in terms of choosing the rest of the mix
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Lildarlinz wrote: »

Thanks pav
    I read online that having too much protein can be bad for you like give u problems with your kidneys and stuff so I was just a bit worried I was over doing it :(

I’ve only got 2lb to go to get to my 1st weight goal and then I will up my calories a bit :)
    I just wanted to test myself and to be honest I do feel better than I ever have :)

I don’t miss the treats apart from my alcohol…but I can have a little tipple at Christmas just not too overboard 😘 xx

@Lildarlinz What's your goal weight?

@PAV8888 or anyone: I'm looking for a quantification of "too much protein/high protein." In this article, the first mention of weight in kilograms includes "ideal body weight" and the rest simply say kg. Can the "ideal body weight" be assumed to be included in the rest of the paragraph, or does the subsequent "kg" refer to current weight?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7460905/#:~:text=High dietary protein intake can,a role in kidney health.

"...The estimated average requirement for protein intake is 0.6 g of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day, which corresponds to the amount of protein required to avoid negative nitrogen balance and to meet half of a population’s requirements. The recommended daily allowance for protein intake is 0.83 g/kg per day and is calculated to meet the requirements of 97%–98% of the population (two SD above the estimated average requirement).1 Although there is a lack of consensus regarding the formal definition of a high-protein diet, most definitions set a threshold between 1.2 and 2.0 g/kg per day. Within this range, protein consumption >1.5 g/kg per day is generally considered to be a high-protein diet. Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) show that the current average consumption of protein in the United States is estimated to be approximately 1.2–1.4 g/kg per day,2 which is higher than the recommended amount. Popular weight-loss diets encourage higher amounts of protein while restricting the amount of carbohydrates, based on the assumption that all carbohydrates are undesirable—an assumption that has been refuted in the literature.3 Although such diets vary, these weight-loss strategies typically recommend that 25%–35% of calories consumed should be from protein and <45% of calories should be from carbohydrates (Supplemental Table 1). In extreme cases, such as the ketogenic diet, <5%–10% of calories are from carbohydrates.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    My personal READING is that they are talking about ideal weight throughout.

In the past I've found a lot of correspondence between protein recommendations per lb of lean mass and per body weight if you are assuming 80% lean mass
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    ksharma, it refers to ideal weight, or some sources refer to lean body mass. The reason is, your fat doesn't need it and obese people have a significant % of body weight in fat. It's why I typically recommend lifters go with a sliding scale of 0.7g per pound if obese, to 1g if lean, for an upper target.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I’ve stuck to the macros that it calculates for me like under for carbs,fat and saturated

Is that a good thing? Especially if I’m not working out as such…like I don’t lift weights but I walk…

Some calculators on Google say I can have 117g if I want…but again I don’t work out…I haven’t even do a sit up or a crunch or anything because I have had a bad back.

I don’t include any exercise within my calories…like I don’t track my exercises I’ve just put myself as sedentary…because on my work days…I am literally a couch potato…

Thanks guys xx

It's a good thing if it's working for you and you're happy and healthy with it.

I don't think going over the protein is as much of a problem as going under. Of course, you can always tweak it around and see if you're doing better.

Protein is more satiating than carbs so if you up your protein, it won't necessarily stop you from losing weight, even if you're sedentary... I'm pretty sedentary due to health issues, all I do is slow walking about 3 times a week and stretching with resistance bands.

My macros are 70% fat/25%protein/5%carbs, that's my sweet spot right now. I am still losing weight (down another 5 lbs this month for a total of 80) on a high fat/low carb diet.

So don't be afraid to play around with your percentages, you can always change back if after a couple weeks/months you find it's not working out for you.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

(snip)

@PAV8888 or anyone: I'm looking for a quantification of "too much protein/high protein."

(snip)

@kshama2001, this might have some useful info about that question.

https://examine.com/supplements/whey-protein/faq/4QdqPJb-can-eating-too-much-protein-be-bad-for-you/

I think that's not one of their paywalled summaries. Whether you like their summaries or not, the references at the end are pretty much on point for your question.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options

Thanks pav

@PAV8888 or anyone: I'm looking for a quantification of "too much protein/high protein." In this article, the first mention of weight in kilograms includes "ideal body weight" and the rest simply say kg. Can the "ideal body weight" be assumed to be included in the rest of the paragraph, or does the subsequent "kg" refer to current weight?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7460905/#:~:text=High dietary protein intake can,a role in kidney health.

"...The estimated average requirement for protein intake is 0.6 g of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day, which corresponds to the amount of protein required to avoid negative nitrogen balance and to meet half of a population’s requirements. The recommended daily allowance for protein intake is 0.83 g/kg per day and is calculated to meet the requirements of 97%–98% of the population (two SD above the estimated average requirement).1 Although there is a lack of consensus regarding the formal definition of a high-protein diet, most definitions set a threshold between 1.2 and 2.0 g/kg per day. Within this range, protein consumption >1.5 g/kg per day is generally considered to be a high-protein diet. Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) show that the current average consumption of protein in the United States is estimated to be approximately 1.2–1.4 g/kg per day,2 which is higher than the recommended amount. Popular weight-loss diets encourage higher amounts of protein while restricting the amount of carbohydrates, based on the assumption that all carbohydrates are undesirable—an assumption that has been refuted in the literature.3 Although such diets vary, these weight-loss strategies typically recommend that 25%–35% of calories consumed should be from protein and <45% of calories should be from carbohydrates (Supplemental Table 1). In extreme cases, such as the ketogenic diet, <5%–10% of calories are from carbohydrates.

Hiiii
    Goal weight is 9st 5.so I’m 11 2 now :)

So not much to go :)

And pav I only went over say by 20g of protein…maybe cut back on the protein bars but the ones I buy are so tasty :D 😝😝😝
  • Lildarlinz
    Options

Thanks guys xx

I don't think going over the protein is as much of a problem as going under. Of course, you can always tweak it around and see if you're doing better.

Protein is more satiating than carbs so if you up your protein, it won't necessarily stop you from losing weight, even if you're sedentary... I'm pretty sedentary due to health issues, all I do is slow walking about 3 times a week and stretching with resistance bands.

My macros are 70% fat/25%protein/5%carbs, that's my sweet spot right now. I am still losing weight (down another 5 lbs this month for a total of 80) on a high fat/low carb diet.

So don't be afraid to play around with your percentages, you can always change back if after a couple weeks/months you find it's not working out for you.

Hiiii

Mine is 50% carbs
    30% fat
    20% protein
    And I’ve still lost 8lb in 4 weeks :)

I didn’t tweak them myself I just went to goals…put in my weight and height said I wanna lose 2lb a week and that’s what it set for me :)

I’m happy with that though as I do love carbs…

I just hope I’m doing it right…well something must be right because I’m losing :) x
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For an average sized woman, the USDA thinks 60 is reasonable, maybe even a bit extra. Ditto for the British Nutrition Foundation. The USDA value, though, is pretty much minimum to avoid under-nutrition in an average lifestyle.

Getting more than minimum protein is fine, and may have extra benefits during weight loss, when active (weight lifting or anything else active, including an active job like in a hospital). We need a few extra calories to metabolize protein, and that can be a teeny bonus of getting plenty while losing weight.

Eighty grams of protein isn't that much, IMO. I'm a 5'5" woman, usually eat 100-120g protein, and have been doing that for 7 years now with no negative outcomes. Excess protein essentially just becomes calories for energy.

According to mainstream dietary guidelines, as long as you also get a suitable minimum of fat routinely, and plenty of veggies/fruits for micronutrients and fiber, you should be fine getting more than minimum protein. There are a few health conditions that require people to limit protein severely (kidney disease, alpha-gal allergy are a couple) . You'd know if you had one of those conditions.

Sorry Ann :) didn’t see your comment there
    Thank you for your help :) I only get about 80 as a maximum anyway..just MFP when I put in my goals it’s give me 60 :)
    I wouldn’t go above 120g for sure :)
    But I’ve still lost 9lb :) so that’s good :) x
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Thanks guys xx

Hiiii

Mine is 50% carbs
    30% fat
    20% protein

I didn’t tweak them myself I just went to goals…put in my weight and height said I wanna lose 2lb a week and that’s what it set for me :)

I just hope I’m doing it right…well something must be right because I’m losing :) x

Yes, you are losing because you are in a calorie deficit. Your macros don't really matter when you're talking about weight loss specifically. Calories (energy) are what determine what you are going to do weight wise. When you eat a balance of calories for what your body needs, you maintain weight. When you consume fewer calories (energy) than your body needs, your backup generator kicks on and you burn stored energy (bodyfat) to make up the difference. When you consume more energy than your body needs, it is stored as bodyfat similar to how a solar system would store surplus energy in a battery.

Macros really are personal...there isn't any one sized fits all, optimal macro ratio. Macros are what make up your calories...4 calories per gram of carbohydrate, 4 calories per gram of protein, and 9 calories per gram of dietary fat. Where macros are concerned, it's more about sustainability with one's personal eating habits, satiety, physical performance, and to some extent body composition.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks guys xx

Hiiii

Mine is 50% carbs
    30% fat
    20% protein

Yes, you are losing because you are in a calorie deficit. Your macros don't really matter when you're talking about weight loss specifically. Calories (energy) are what determine what you are going to do weight wise. When you eat a balance of calories for what your body needs, you maintain weight. When you consume fewer calories (energy) than your body needs, your backup generator kicks on and you burn stored energy (bodyfat) to make up the difference. When you consume more energy than your body needs, it is stored as bodyfat similar to how a solar system would store surplus energy in a battery.

Macros really are personal...there isn't any one sized fits all, optimal macro ratio. Macros are what make up your calories...4 calories per gram of carbohydrate, 4 calories per gram of protein, and 9 calories per gram of dietary fat. Where macros are concerned, it's more about sustainability with one's personal eating habits, satiety, physical performance, and to some extent body composition.

Thank you wolf man 😘😘 it’s hard bloody cheese but I’m doing it 💪
    I usually give up about now…but gunna keep going :D
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Thanks guys xx

Hiiii

Mine is 50% carbs
    30% fat
    20% protein

True, like I said, if it's working for you the way you have it, keeping you happy and healthy, it's probably right.

If and when the day comes that it's not working for you, play around with the macros, changing +/- 10% here and there until you find a balance. I think it's something that changes as our body/metabolism/age/etc changes so it's always good to be willing to revisit them and play around with them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who answered me!

Thanks pav

Hiiii

And pav I only went over say by 20g of protein…maybe cut back on the protein bars but the ones I buy are so tasty :D 😝😝😝

Yes, some protein bars are basically Snickers bars with a little more protein and a little less fat and sugar, so still hyper-palatable. While I would never eat multiple Snickers bars in a day, I can easily eat multiple protein bars, so I have to watch myself. :lol:

• Lildarlinz
    Options
    Thanks everyone who answered me!

Thanks pav

Hiiii

Yes, some protein bars are basically Snickers bars with a little more protein and a little less fat and sugar, so still hyper-palatable. While I would never eat multiple Snickers bars in a day, I can easily eat multiple protein bars, so I have to watch myself. :lol:

I was actually sitting there yesterday wanting a snickers! I know they sell the 96 calorie ones in Asda! I need to get my snickers fix 🤪🤪🤪🤪
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options
    Oh great. Now I want British wafer bars. And snowballs! I need snowballs! Note to self: stay out of British threads.