Starting again and looking for friends over 50 to support each other

Options
Well I’m back again after losing and then gaining back 30 pounds over the last year or so. I hadn’t lost all that I wanted to even then. In reality, I would like to lose about 80.

I have been on this cycle where I lose some for an event or a vacation then proceed to gain it all back. I’m 52 now and want to get a handle on this so I don’t have to struggle forever and can enjoy retiring at some point. But I need motivation and accountability.

Please feel free to add me as a friend if you need support in this journey as well. Good luck!

Replies

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi, or welcome back I should say. I'm 54, I know that cycle, lol. I lose, I gain, I lose, I gain with interest... lol story of my life. I understand what you mean, I guess you get to your 50s and realize no more time for fartsing around.

I myself have about 100+ more to lose, not exactly sure where I'll land but somewhere under 200. I'm almost halfway there.

Sending a friend request :)
  • Jarhead87
    Jarhead87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Been there too. Need to drop quite a bit of weight for health reasons. I'll let you or anyone else initiate a friend request. Currently @256 lbs and need to get down to around 190.
  • Trishlb
    Trishlb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new here with a new journey. I need to lose about 140 lbs. I have been doing this a month and have lost a few pounds. Looking forward to getting to know others in their 50’s too
  • jenkspaf
    jenkspaf Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey there! This seems to be a common theme, eh? I’ll be 50 in Jan so I’m not there yet, but feel free to add me!

Jen
  • dr3107
    dr3107 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have also lost and gained over the years. I am now 65, retired and working on me and getting healthy. I am truly 65 but feel like I am 40. I walk a lot and have elderly parents that sometimes I need to focus on slow and steady - slow and steady wins the race !
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I can relate!

I have yoyo'd enough for 2 lifetimes at age 54. :)

However I have made some permanent lifestyle changes that will help me get to my goal weight then maintain!
    Quit drinking alcohol daily. This was a big one for me. That was an instant 500calorie reduction!
    Stopped eating processed junk food. This wasn't that hard... lol
    Cut way back on the dairy. Easy peasy!

I feel these small changes have made a big impact to get to my goal weight.

I have 6 more lbs to get to me goal weight. This will be a grind as I know the closer you get the fat loss takes longer but I'm prepared for that.
  • StrongMum2017
    StrongMum2017 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Used MFP and exercise to lose 60lb in 2017/18, kept it off through most of Covid but it has come back over the past year. It is no mystery why. I stopped going the gym everyday and my healthy habits fell away. I am also wanting to get back to a healthy weight to be able to enjoy an active retirement that is only a few years away.
  • dr3107
    dr3107 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helps me is eating a sugar free fat free pudding at night with some sugar free whipped topping. I look forward to having a pleasure at night in front of the TV. I have 45 lbs to lose. At one point and time I had over 100 to lose.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Same. I am back in the losing side again having taking off a little more than 70 pounds. I basically accept any friend requests, and have been more or less active here for a very long time.
  • mythdefied5931
    mythdefied5931 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, hope that's close enough? Trying to lose ~200lbs, so life's rough right now. You can add me.