Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 236

Options

Replies

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 11,074 Member
    Options
    @tiabirdie56

When I saw the dietician last March or April, I couldn't believe the advice I was getting in regards to my diabetes. I am sure there are a lot of good dieticians out there that help with many types of diets for many types of medical conditions, but mine was definitely not one of them.

As you know, the glucose spikes shortly after you eat. My dietician (also) wanted me to eat 5 or 6 times per day (small meals) which would put me spiking nearly all day long. That would have annihilated my A1C.

The most shocking thing (just like your husband) mine wanted me to increase my carbohydrate intake up to 250 carbs per day! Diabetic coma anyone? I was sitting at an A1C of 11.4 when I saw her with my fasting glucose running between 300mg and 500 mg each morning. I think she was trying to kill me.

I am so glad that you listened to your instincts, watched his patterns and applied your own research and common sense to his overall health plan. I am THRILLED for him and SO, SO happy that he has you.

Congratulations to you both for a job well done. You fought all the battles and have WON THE WAR!
  • CamandJarvis
    CamandJarvis Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    @quiltingjaine, You are correct. Most doctors DO NOT want to help you if you are diabetic. Partly because people are complacent and believe they will always be diabetic. They will only help you if they realize you are helping yourself. Also, what I think is ludicrous, they tell you to lose weight, but eat carbs and not just fruit and vegetable carbs. My husband lost 10lbs last month and his doctor said that was too much. I told him it was not too much. BTW, SHE is overweight.

I had a pre-diabetes scare with my bloodwork increasing dramatically towards the diagnosis (I was getting bloodwork every 2 months at this point trying to pinpoint). My doctor told me all the things I knew NOT to do with diabetes. She, herself, is morbidly obese and has diabetes. Why in the world would I want to listen to her?! I did my own thing and my bloodwork is back down to where it was a decade ago. Whew. It's so scary the people who believe so thoroughly that the healthcare system is here to actually try to help/heal you... they could be helping you dig your own grave depending on the diagnosis/issue and it's heartbreaking. I listen to them and then do my own research, always. Second, third, and sometimes many more opinions.

I'm glad you and your husband made it work and came out healthier despite the false information provided by the docs. You're truly an inspiration.