HABIT CHANGE: My only goal right now is to log consistently for 90 days. Nothing else.

Options
I'm not weighing myself.
I'm not tracking my water

I have been on a mission for the last 2 years to seriously change my lifestyle.
1st - I quit a stressful career.
2nd - I got my sleep normalized. (I am naturally tired around 10p and wake at 6a that hasn't been the case in almost 2decades)
3rd - Eliminate addictive media. EG social media, reality television, romantic novels, political podcasts. This has given me the most boost in my overall mental health. I recommend it for everyone for 90days and see how you feel. You may want more!

Now I'm on part 2. Log my food consistently for 90 days. NO DAYS SKIPPED. The thing is that It's likely going to take me longer than 90days to do. And once Ive done it for 90 days I will probably do it for longer.

Instead of trying to do everything all at once, I'm changing one habit at a time until it's no long a habit or a new habit is firmly in place.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Sounds very sensible and wise and it sounds like you've made great pieces so far!

Out of curiosity: did you use particular tools or strategies to, for example, eliminate addictive media? I have a few bad habits myself, but weight management (food and exercise) is the only thing I've accomplished so far. Procrastination is kicking my butt for the other stuff 🙂
  • gains4lif3
    gains4lif3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tmoney, your goal is extremely achievable. I’ve been logging everyday for past 26 days and it is starting to become second nature. Whenever I eat, I log. No exceptions. Sometimes I’ll wait until end of the day to log, but it has to be done in that day while it’s fresh. Feel free to add me so we can keep each other accountable!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I'm not weighing myself.
    I'm not tracking my water

I have been on a mission for the last 2 years to seriously change my lifestyle.
    1st - I quit a stressful career.
    2nd - I got my sleep normalized. (I am naturally tired around 10p and wake at 6a that hasn't been the case in almost 2decades)
    3rd - Eliminate addictive media. EG social media, reality television, romantic novels, political podcasts. This has given me the most boost in my overall mental health. I recommend it for everyone for 90days and see how you feel. You may want more!

Now I'm on part 2. Log my food consistently for 90 days. NO DAYS SKIPPED. The thing is that It's likely going to take me longer than 90days to do. And once Ive done it for 90 days I will probably do it for longer.

Instead of trying to do everything all at once, I'm changing one habit at a time until it's no long a habit or a new habit is firmly in place.

You'll pry my romance novels from my cold, dead hands 🤣. That being said, sounds like you're on a great track! Wish I had that kind of dedication.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Sounds very sensible and wise and it sounds like you've made great pieces so far!

Out of curiosity: did you use particular tools or strategies to, for example, eliminate addictive media? I have a few bad habits myself, but weight management (food and exercise) is the only thing I've accomplished so far. Procrastination is kicking my butt for the other stuff 🙂

Lots of stuff:

1st the App Freedom. This allows me to block generic websites for specifc times. ie "All social Media"
    2nd Leech Block. This allows me to block specific sites for certain times.
    3rd StayFocused This allows me to put a timer on websites I want to allow myself to view

Example: Freedom blocks all search engines, shopping sights, email, etc from 4am to 10am. This allows me to work productively for 6 straight hours. Leechblock then is used to block specific websites that I use a lot (ie Sephora.com, Ulta, Amazon...) during certain times of the day but allows them at say lunch and after I put my son to bed. Finally, once I do visit my said websites Stayfocused will time my time on those sites and kick me off of them once time has expired.

I have android and I use the "do not disturb" for the times I'm supposed to be asleep or when I should be working. I also use an app called "AppBlock" and similar to freedom and leechblock you can set various categories for certain apps AND their websites that prevent you from using them. App Block even has the ability to put a "lock" on a category that will not allow you to turn off the block for up to 30 days. Do that for 90 days and I promise your habit will be broken.

Side bar on Apple, their vendors purposely lobbied to prevent the likes of Freedom from being allowed on their platform because it's so effective. Apple's controls are too easy to circumvent and just don't work.

Regarding Sleep, I started using a puzzle clock to help me wake up at a certain time, and I quit drinking coffee after 2pm and caffinated diet soda after 5pm. I started using the youtube channel "The Honest Guys" and doing their bed time "talk downs" at 9:30p. That helped me get my sleep normalized.

Working out and dieting are difficult to stick to, when you are constantly stressed and tired.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the way to developing great habits one step at a time. Great work!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,867 Member
    Options
    Isn't this social media? Not that I think it's a bad thing, but . . . ?
  • tmoneyag99
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Isn't this social media? Not that I think it's a bad thing, but . . . ?

yup. Hence why I don't let myself access it during certain hours of the day and have a timer on time spent. Currently I'm actually writing down my food in a food log that I keep with me all of the time. I'll add it to MFP during the evening for the totals.
  • tmoneyag99
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

You'll pry my romance novels from my cold, dead hands 🤣. That being said, sounds like you're on a great track! Wish I had that kind of dedication.

You'll appreciate this then https://www.tiktok.com/@kktreads/video/7073905125995056389?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7253186257279698478