New here.....a little help please

Options
suejo2144
suejo2144 Posts: 32 Member
So, big question when do people weigh in?
Weekly, monthly, daily?
Does the website/ app prompt you? How do you enter the info?
Tagged:

Replies

• Fantasyfan882017
    Fantasyfan882017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day in the morning after doing the toilet. If I get a new low and it stays that way for a few days then I will then update the app with my new current weight. You can choose a day for the app to prompt you to update your current weight. Mines been automatically set to a Monday and I have left it at that.

To update your weight go to progress on the app and click on the plus sigh and enter your new weight. Hope this helps 🙂
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 Makes a very important point that you have to decide what works for you. If weighing yourself makes you stressed or unhappy, don't do it.

I am somewhat in agreement with @Fantasyfan882017 :

But, from a purely data-driven POV, measuring and recording your morning weight every day (after toilet, minimal clothing) is very useful. It will bounce around a lot (±2lbs easily for me), so you have to take it all in stride. It's only the trend over many days (e.g., 7) that matters. But, if you don't record it every day, you can't estimate that trend (which I do by eye-- you can also use a fancy weight app, if you want). Also, I'll see bigger excursions when I eat more, as on vacation.

I enter it into MFP, which is shared with Garmin. So, when my weight elevates, I can be satisfied that Garmin will use that weight to calculate the calorie burn of my activities, allowing me to eat a few more calories that day than otherwise.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    About twice a month skipping specific days related to menstrual cycle that naturally makes the scale go up
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,478 Member
    Options
    I agree with Springlering62, too.

If you find weighing/weight stressful, weighing less often can be good. If you're a data geek and want to learn how your personal body's weight fluctuations work and can do so calmly, then weighing daily under consistent conditions is the way to go.

I'm in the latter camp. I've weighed daily for many years, even before seriously trying to lose weight: First thing in the morning, after bathroom, before eating/drinking, in the same state of (un-)dress every time.

I used to put a tick-mark on graph paper every day, date on x-axis, weight on y-axis. Now I put the weight into a weight trending app, which does some statistical mumbo-jumbo to try (imperfectly) to visualize the weight trends within the noise of routine daily water and digestive-contents fluctuations.

Some weight trending apps are Happy Scale (Apple/iOS), Libra (Android), Trendweight (requires a free Fitbit account but you don't need to buy a device), Weightgrapher. There are probably others.

Now in maintenance, I don't even bother to update my weight in MFP anymore. Meh, close enough.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,189 Member
    Options
    Like several above, I weigh daily.

I enter my daily weigh-ins in Libra (for my weight trend) and in Garmin Connect (which syncs my weight with MFP).
  • suejo2144
    Options
    Thank you for your responses . Its really interesting to read how others deal with it. I find weigh in abit of a trigger so I will probably do weekly weigh in .
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,463 Member
    Options
    Daily every morning after getting up and to the loo. I learned this way that weight fluctuates from day to day. I also realized that if I'd only weighted myself once a week I might have hit a higher number than the week before just due to fluctuations, and might have panicked like many people here do. I also learned I'm a bit of a whoosher: nothing might happen for 2-3 weeks and then there's suddenly the night where I have to pee 3x, and the next morning my weightloss was right back on schedule. :D
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    ……and then there's suddenly the night where I have to pee 3x, and the next morning my weightloss was right back on schedule. :D

OMG. That’s why I love these boards. Total experience validation.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,463 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    ……and then there's suddenly the night where I have to pee 3x, and the next morning my weightloss was right back on schedule. :D

OMG. That’s why I love these boards. Total experience validation.

It's so annoying in so many aspects, right? First nothing happens and it's annoying. And then you have a rubbish night, which is also annoying :D Travel waterweight does the same for me. And believe you me: I do travel a lot. :D
  • suejo2144
    Options
    I have also had the nights when the weight loss happens after 3 or 4 massive weeks. Its so true lol
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    suejo2144 wrote: »
    How do you enter the info?
    This webpage doesn't always make it easy. Usually there are two or three ways of doing something, and one of them is broken. ;(
  • Dean_IsStayinLean
    Dean_IsStayinLean Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, and use a scale that send the information right to my phone/app. There are bluetooth and Wifi scales that you can integrate with MFP and other apps.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    There was a study I read once about people who weight themselves every day are less likely to gain weight. I guess it's a 'nipping it in the bud' kind of thing and keeping closer watch has its benefits. So if you can do that, I say it's probably a good idea.

If seeing those little fluctuations that occur due to water weight, hormones, clothing choices, bowel movement cycles, etc. tend to stress you out, try doing it once a week or once a month.

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Try once a week at the same time wearing the same thing. During the week, it can fluctuate up or down. Once a week shows your progress. Just FYI--weight can get stuck for a few weeks when you hit the inevitable plateau. IF it stays the same for more than 4 weeks in a row, then change your food plan. Weighing daily made me obsessive. But if once a day works for you, do it. Just don't do it five or six times a day.
  • springlering62
    edited October 2023
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »
    Weighing daily made me obsessive. But if once a day works for you, do it. Just don't do it five or six times a day.

I’ve actually done this, as a sort of personal science experiment.

I find it really interesting to compare first thing in the morning to after breakfast, after a hot mat class, a weight session and a water class. (I frequently do all in the same day. Retirement is grand.😂)

What’s really interesting is that my weight actually goes up after a gym or training session, and goes way up after aquafit. Either I’m swallowing more water than I thought or my body is a big ole sponge.

If I pull double hot classes, I can lose three or four pounds. Sweat, baby, sweat!

It’s all very interesting- and can be useful to help understand if my weight feels like it’s ricocheting “for no reason”.

Nope. There’s usually a reason, be it toomuch salt or unusually high carbs yesterday, or some workout today. Knowing this helps me chill.

Today I know my weight will be up due to soreness, following a heavy squat workout a couple of days ago, the first in.five or six weeks, due to travel and a bout of some bug or other. So I won’t even bother to weigh. Why worry? Knowledge is weight-loss power.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,478 Member
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »
    Weighing daily made me obsessive. But if once a day works for you, do it. Just don't do it five or six times a day.

I’ve actually done this, as a sort of personal science experiment.

I find it really interesting to compare first thing in the morning to after breakfast, after a hot mat class, a weight session and a water class. (I frequently do all in the same day. Retirement is grand.😂)

What’s really interesting is that my weight actually goes up after a gym or training session, and goes way up after aquafit. Either I’m swallowing more water than I thought or my body is a big ole sponge.

If I pull double hot classes, I can lose three or four pounds. Sweat, baby, sweat!

It’s all very interesting- and can be useful to help understand if my weight feels like it’s ricocheting “for no reason”.

Nope. There’s usually a reason, be it toomuch salt or unusually high carbs yesterday, or some workout today. Knowing this helps me chill.

Today I know my weight will be up due to soreness, following a heavy squat workout a couple of days ago, the first in.five or six weeks, due to travel and a bout of some bug or other. So I won’t even bother to weigh. Why worry? Knowledge is weight-loss power.

Weighing multiple times during the day also a tactic used more formally by some endurance athletes to evaluate hydration strategies when training hard, especially outdoors in hot weather. Pros with training teams may use blood or urine tests, but even recreational endurance athletes can use bodyweight changes as a rough guide to fluid loss, to inform fluid replacement strategies.

In those cases, seeing weight drop might be more stressful than seeing it hold steady or increase? ( <= joking. It's just data, in this scenario: Probably not an emotional trigger.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    When I'm in weight-loss mode, I'm consistent with weighing daily. I use the trending app Happy Scale (Apple/iOS.) I set it to remind me to weigh daily.

I use the Moving Average as my "official" weight. I look at trends, rather than individual weigh ins, as they fluctuate all over the place.

Weighing daily is how I learned I retained water when I ovulated, as well as premenstrually.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 891 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I weigh daily on a smart scale that sends the information directly to MFP.
    Sometimes I like to weigh several times a day after certain events or activities to see the fluctuations. I find it interesting. I found that I can lose a lb. or 2 after swimming. I seem to gain after aerobics. I don’t do this often. I figure it shows me if I’m hydrated or not.
    In fact, since doing this I’ve started to drink a glass of water before I go for a swim.
  • springlering62
    Options
    I weigh daily on a smart scale that sends the information directly to MFP.
    Sometimes I like to weigh several times a day after certain events or activities to see the fluctuations. I find it interesting. I found that I can lose a lb. or 2 after swimming. I seem to gain after aerobics. I don’t do this often. I figure it shows me if I’m hydrated or not.
    In fact, since doing this I’ve started to drink a glass of water before I go for a swim.

Bwahahaha!!!!!!! I’m the exact opposite. I weigh more after a water class, and heaven help me if I drink anything and forget to hit the potty before a class. 😂😂😂😂😂 😬