Have to make changes

Options
vedra_b
vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
I am the heaviest I have ever been gaining 20 pounds in the last year. My adult son had been in and out of the hospital (in critical care more times than I can count) since Christmas of last year. I was either sitting at his bedside or sitting at my desk at work. My body hurts all the time I am tired. we also had a flood in our home and had to move out for remodel 2 years ago and are just getting back into the house. It has been hell for 2 years. things are settling down but I just do not know how to get motivated. When do you get to a point when you are sick and tired of being sick and tired.... Today I did walk/job to the end of the block and back.. What keeps you motivated?

Replies

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi; sorry about your son, and the flood. That kind of upheaval/disruption can drive you crazy, I know how it can lead to putting things like taking care of yourself on the back burner. When you get a rest, you don't want to exercise. When you gotta eat, you want the fastest/easiest thing you can grab that is satisfying. And then by not taking care of yourself it makes it even harder to get through-- such a vicious cycle.

Unfortunately for me when I was going through the meat grinder, I was not motivated and didn't take care of myself.

I'm at an age now where it's either do or die (literally). Wanting to enjoy life again and feel good again keeps me motivated.
  • deejoan
    deejoan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    vedra_b wrote: »
    I am the heaviest I have ever been gaining 20 pounds in the last year. My adult son had been in and out of the hospital (in critical care more times than I can count) since Christmas of last year. I was either sitting at his bedside or sitting at my desk at work. My body hurts all the time I am tired. we also had a flood in our home and had to move out for remodel 2 years ago and are just getting back into the house. It has been hell for 2 years. things are settling down but I just do not know how to get motivated. When do you get to a point when you are sick and tired of being sick and tired.... Today I did walk/job to the end of the block and back.. What keeps you motivated?

I have found in the last six months that strictly tracking my food keeps me motivated. I have made it a challenge to myself to stick to my 1250 calorie allotment per day. I track everything and try to look at what I am going to eat in a day earlier in the day so I can adjust portions at breakfast, lunch, etc., if I am making a bigger dinner meal. I just keep playing with the portions (calories) so I don't go over my daily allotment. If I make it a game (or challenge) with myself, it has helped somewhat. I lost 20 pounds in five months, which is slow but that's okay. I find doing it slow really helps me not put the weight back on. Good Luck!
  • Clarissia_Nicole
    Clarissia_Nicole Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! I have been trying - I bought a walking pad because it’s so easy to just jump on it while scrolling or watching TV. There’s really no excuses and they’re pretty affordable. I am also trying some supplements like Metamucil.
  • vedra_b
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. We are not out of the woods with my son, I am preparing myself for the worst and praying for the best. I have kept up my short walks all week, I ate like crap yesterday but less like crap then I would have. Instead of the bowl of candy I would have chowed down, I ate some sliders. Instead of the soda/punch I drank water. I am trying to praise the small things and not place myself where I give up because well I am over anyway. Today I said well that I could have done better but I could have done a lot worse. I got up anyway took my walk and am eating my overnight oats. TODAY is another day! Thank you for your support.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well for me my catalyst was the sudden passing of my Grandmother who raised me. Definitely made me question a lot of things in my life and what was worth continuing. While anything can happen it changed my outlook and priorities in life a little bit. I set goals based on some other events in life that are coming up (Kids graduations from HS next couple years.) It definitely helps me keep motivated to just change things to be healthier overall.
  • vedra_b
    Options
    Hi; sorry about your son, and the flood. That kind of upheaval/disruption can drive you crazy, I know how it can lead to putting things like taking care of yourself on the back burner. When you get a rest, you don't want to exercise. When you gotta eat, you want the fastest/easiest thing you can grab that is satisfying. And then by not taking care of yourself it makes it even harder to get through-- such a vicious cycle.

Unfortunately for me when I was going through the meat grinder, I was not motivated and didn't take care of myself.

I'm at an age now where it's either do or die (literally). Wanting to enjoy life again and feel good again keeps me motivated.

Thank you for reminding I am not alone. I am exactly there with you this last month of feeling good has kept me so motivated. I feel good so I eat good and I want to get out and do things.