Timelines and Goals

Options
Why am I posting this? I wanted others to know that it's okay to choose a weight that isn't exactly what the weight chart says. Find your happy spot.

I know my goal is ambitious. If things go well, which they probably won't, I should hit my goal on Tuesday August 27, 2024.

My goal is to get down to 180 pounds by this date. Yes, I will still be overweight by thirty-five pounds That's okay.

However, the weight I've chosen is one I can live with long term. If I lose under 180, great. If I don't, that's okay too. A weight of 180 pounds lets me do the things I want to do with more energy and less pain. I can shop in regular stores. I can travel more easily.

I got down to 146 pounds many years ago and it made me miserable. It's not for me. So I picked the top of my 'comfortable weight' range. I like to weigh between 160 and 180 for comfort and livability. At 160 pounds, I'm a size 8. I have a bottom-heavy build with muscular calves. At 180, I wear a 10 or 12, depending on the brand. It works for me.

I hope to make it by my August 2024 date. At the very least, I'll be close.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You go girl. That's a great way to go about it. You can do it, just stick with it and you'll get there. Honestly, if more people understood this, I think we might see more successful long term weight liss/maintenence.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,087 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I've found places online that say my ideal weight is 140. I used to weigh 140 and I was so tired. I slept 10-12 hours a night. I think right now 160 sounds good. We'll see when(if) I get there. I used to weigh 160, have lots of energy, and feel good!
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I so relate to this. I picked a goal weight that I had been able to maintain for decades and now that I am the mid70s one I could live with. I am 5-10 pounds "overweight". After reading so much here about "healthy weight" and looking at what others do I felt sort of like a failure for not wanting to be in the middle (or middle low) of "healthy/normal". I asked my PCP and was met with NO DON'T LOSE WEIGHT!!! I am on no meds, all bloodwork is excellent and I can easily maintain. Truth is I wasn't that much heavier for not that long so losing to here was pretty easy. For me to be at "healthy" at my age and height my maintenance would be 1350-1400 cals, not going to happen.
    Thank you for saying this.
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You do you. Adding the pressures of what someone says is the right weight or time doesn't help. BMI chart says the highest weight I can be and be normal is 174. Last time I lost weight I made it to 180 and looked sickly. I decided that was the weight I need to stop at. I am happy with that and that is where I am going. That's all that matters!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,731 Member
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »
    I so relate to this. I picked a goal weight that I had been able to maintain for decades and now that I am the mid70s one I could live with. I am 5-10 pounds "overweight". After reading so much here about "healthy weight" and looking at what others do I felt sort of like a failure for not wanting to be in the middle (or middle low) of "healthy/normal". I asked my PCP and was met with NO DON'T LOSE WEIGHT!!! I am on no meds, all bloodwork is excellent and I can easily maintain. Truth is I wasn't that much heavier for not that long so losing to here was pretty easy. For me to be at "healthy" at my age and height my maintenance would be 1350-1400 cals, not going to happen.

That's the sweet spot. What it is (in body weight or BMI) will vary individually.

I'm glad to see no one is criticizing people who prefer to be at a lighter (low normal BMI) sort of weight, because that's also a thing I've seen sometimes in threads here.

These choices are very individual, and as long as a person is healthy and happy, I personally would support them in whatever choice they may make.

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    pony4us wrote: »

That's the sweet spot. What it is (in body weight or BMI) will vary individually.

I'm glad to see no one is criticizing people who prefer to be at a lighter (low normal BMI) sort of weight, because that's also a thing I've seen sometimes in threads here.

These choices are very individual, and as long as a person is healthy and happy, I personally would support them in whatever choice they may make.

The key is to fit your body type and goals. I'm built to do farm work....lol. I have muscular legs and thighs. I have to emaciate my upper body to get below 160 because my bottom half stops losing.

But if you have small frame, you might want to be slight on the other end.

Where are you healthy and have the energy to do what you want?

That's the good place.

T