What is your favorite pumpkin flavored food?

Options
I tried a Chobani pumpkin flavored yogurt today. I thought it would taste better. Don't waste your money.

I like pumpkin and raisin muffins. They are delicious.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I love pumpkin chili. Regular chili, but add a can of pumpkin. So good.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    My newest obsession is the Pumpkin Cheesecake made with cottage cheese.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    There's no pumpkin flavoured food here, and I don't think I would eat any. I do have a small pumpkin in my kitchen though and will make a spicy soup with it.
  • collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie slathered in whipped cream!!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin itself is such a mild flavor. For savory dishes, I prefer sweet potatoes or butternut squash.

But, for sweet treats with the requisite "pumpkin spices", I love pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin doughnuts.

I know most people around the world don't understand...It's really more North American tradition that keeps us coming back to pumpkins every fall. They are native here and became associated with fall flavors. People find comfort in the warm spices often used in pumpkin dishes.

Yes, pumpkin itself has very little flavor. I used pumpkin pie spice long before it was trendy and used to include it in any recipe calling for a mix of warm spices.

Frontier's pumpkin pie spice ingredients: Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, Nutmeg

I can't tolerate clove anymore and have probably a half pound of this in my freezer. Maybe I will give it away on my town's facebook group...
  • Justt_Brook
    Justt_Brook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m obsessed with pumpkin pie lol
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The only pumpkin thing I eat are pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. They’re a pretty rare find in the grocery store bakery, so it’s an infrequent treat, but I love them!
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The only way I like my pumpkin is carved with a little candle in sitting on my fireplace at Halloween 🤣🤣🤣💀🎃👻

I’ve seen pumpkin soup but I don’t think I could actually eat the thing 🤣🤣🙈🙈

The smell of the pumpkin when I carve it just isn’t satisfying and that goo you pull out of the middle is ewww 🤣🤣
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    --> Pumpkin bread: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6820/downeast-maine-pumpkin-bread/

--> Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale. (It has a subtle pumpkin flavor. I don't like Sam Adams Jack-O as much.)

--> Pumpkin pie. (I like the filling even without the crust, which makes it GF, so my wife can eat it.

By now, I hope everyone understands that "pumpkin spice" is a spice mix made for pumpkin pie. It contains no pumpkin. It is usually a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid and we would carve pumpkins for Halloween...part of our job was to separate the seeds from all the nasty gunk inside. It was worth it, though, because my Mom would roast the seeds in the oven, and they were delicious! I don't think I've had roasted pumpkin seeds since childhood, but now I want them.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Making trader joe's pumpkin oatmeal for lunch right now.
    Gonna drink coffee with premier protein pumpkin 🎃 drink instead of cream
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies w/ cream cheese icing, and pumpkin spice (no actual pumpkin flavor) hot chocolate.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Lildarlinz wrote: »

Very interesting to me is the fact that pumpkin soup is very popular in Australia - I read somewhere it is the most common of home made soups and I can understand why, since it is so easy to make and so tasty.
    Yet Americans don't seem familiar with it, despite their love of pumpkin everything else.

I usually use butternut pumpkin as it is a lot easier to cut than the Halloween type pumpkins

Roast pumpkin , along with carrots and potatoes, is also popular vegetable to have with roast meat dinners

But we dont often see pumpkin pies like in America and not so much pumpkin added to cookies, muffins, bread etc - although you do see bit of that.

• kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input everyone. I was always leery of pumpkin or butternut squash soup. Mom used to roast the pumpkin seeds too. I love pumpkin donuts, yet they don't like my waistline. Tim Hortons pumpkin donuts are good. I tried a Starbuck pumpkin drink a few times. It was so good, too many calories though.

I do want to try pumpkin chili, roasted vegetables with pumpkin, and maybe pumpkin chocolate chip cookies too. Just have to worry about portion control though. lol
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've had roasted pumpkin seeds since childhood, but now I want them.

They are a staple of Mexican cuisine. I buy a bag of shelled roasted salted pumpkin seeds every week. They're amazing!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Very interesting to me is the fact that pumpkin soup is very popular in Australia - I read somewhere it is the most common of home made soups and I can understand why, since it is so easy to make and so tasty.
    Yet Americans don't seem familiar with it, despite their love of pumpkin everything else.

I usually use butternut pumpkin as it is a lot easier to cut than the Halloween type pumpkins

Roast pumpkin , along with carrots and potatoes, is also popular vegetable to have with roast meat dinners

But we dont often see pumpkin pies like in America and not so much pumpkin added to cookies, muffins, bread etc - although you do see bit of that.

It's not pumpkin that's popular here in the US - it's pumpkin pie spice - Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, Nutmeg - if winter squash is actually involved, it's an afterthought :wink:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    The only way I like my pumpkin is carved with a little candle in sitting on my fireplace at Halloween 🤣🤣🤣💀🎃👻

The smell of the pumpkin when I carve it just isn’t satisfying and that goo you pull out of the middle is ewww 🤣🤣

The goo is filled with pumpkin seeds that are delicious when roasted (with or without salt and oil, per your taste).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It's not pumpkin that's popular here in the US - it's pumpkin pie spice - Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, Nutmeg - if winter squash is actually involved, it's an afterthought :wink:

I use canned pumpkin puree (no spices) in oatmeal, smoothies, and soups/stews, and sometimes as a mashed veg side. I don't use whole pumpkin (or cubed pumpkin) in anything, as it's usually only available for a short time and generally seems to cost more than other, more available, winter squashes.
  • flamingolily1
    flamingolily1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The pumpkin cream cheese filled muffin from Starbucks is my favorite