Undo the damage

Options
I have a curiosity question:

On days when you overeat fat, how do you balance it off?

For example, I ate a handful of peanuts and some nuts because I got hungry and lunch wasn't ready on time, which added extra fat of 38 gm to my daily goal. I was thinking of doing an extra hour of cardio and resistance training, but I know I won't burn it off.

How do you balance days when you go overboard and can't burn it off the same day? How does one think of this?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I over-eat fats from nuts on a regular basis. I need my nuts, and they supply a lot of good nutrients so I'm not going to start worrying about it. They're good fats.

Since you now know that they are mostly fat, you could start choosing some other snack when you find yourself overly hungry. Put them out of sight, for one thing.

I find that a cup of hot tea or an apple or some celery with 5g of cream cheese (2g fat) will do the same trick. There just have to be some go-to snacks when you need them.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining a 50+ lb. weight loss for about 10 years. I go over on calories fairly often. A restaurant meal will almost always put me over. I don't worry about it. I don't do anything drastic to cut my calories and I don't increase my exercise since I already do more than enough. I just start again at the next meal, eating the way I know I should. Years ago I would overeat while trying to lose weight and then I'd tell myself, "Oh well, since I already screwed up, I might as well continue to eat what I want and start over again tomorrow, or maybe next week." That never ended well. So now I just look at it as just another meal. As long as I am within my guidelines most of the time, the occasional extravaganza doesn't matter. I try to limit things like meals out or foods that I have a hard time resisting (like nuts) but I don't restrict myself completely.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    In the context of calories, just don't do it 2 days in a row. The average discrepancy in calorie counting is probably worse.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I don't worry about it. If anything, I may go YOLO and get any cravings out of the way at the same time. I might also lower the next days calories by a few hundred which is no hardship because I may still feel a bit full from before, and I probably still have plenty of stored glycogen. Other than that, I just log it all and move on.

It's about what you're doing the majority of the time. It's better to be at maintenance or deficit 6 days a week and go way over daily goal on the last day, than be in a surplus every day of the week, even if total calories are the same. I'm not advocating for "cheat days" there, as some would call them, I'm just saying focus on the trend.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I echo the advice already given here of moving away from a “make up for it” mindset. Better to learn from days that don’t represent your ideal and find tactics to improve in the future. I like the saying “Progress over perfection”.
    This week I overate - to the point of discomfort - for the first time in a few months. I didn’t log every food individually, but put in a calorie estimate for the overeating that is probably pretty close, and I was over maintenance by about 500 calories for the day. Things I learned (or relearned)
    - Even little bites of each food add up when you’re in a potluck situation
    - It’s still hard for me to not feel like I need to please others by eating foods they brought. It’s okay for me to ask for a smaller portion and pass on the foods I brought to make room for the social pressure eating calories.
    - That feeling of discomfort is a good reminder that I like my new eating habits and no further “punishment” is needed.
    - One day of over indulgence is not going to derail me unless I let it. I’ve actually lost right on track this week, even without trying to make up for it by eating less or doing more exercise the rest of the week.
    - Not a learning from this incident, but one that might help your current situation… Delayed meals are going to happen and I need to have a strategy for handling it. I used to really struggle (and get resentful/hangry) any time meal delays happened. Now I have go to snacks that are low calorie but enough to keep me from getting hangry for a delay between 1-1.5 hrs. Sugar snap peas and plain cheerios are pretty much always in my house and I tend to eat 1-2 calories per minute delay worth. If the delay is going to be more than 1.5 hrs, I may choose to eat my evening snack during the delay time, since I probably won’t be hungry for it after a later dinner anyways.

Hope this helps. As stated before, this is a marathon that lasts well beyond the weight loss, and learning to balance your thinking about food is key.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Pick right back up to routine the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    The more important question might be- if this is a habit, how can I break the habit? Because you know dinner is gonna be late again someday. Better way to handle it? Raw prepared vegetables in fridge ready to grab when you get home? Or ?
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great tips and insights! Thank you MFP community!

I'm not obsessed, but I was curious about how to deal with such situations. My weight loss has been painfully slow. It took me 8 months to lose 11 pounds. I still have 18 more to go.

The math of calorie deficit is not working for me. I'm not a big eater. I eat very healthy, believe it or not. I exercise daily.

I'm just persisting with eating healthy, exercising as best as I can, and staying on track. Fingers crossed my next 18 pounds will be faster.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For example, I ate a handful of peanuts and some nuts because I got hungry and lunch wasn't ready on time, which added extra fat of 38 gm to my daily goal. I was thinking of doing an extra hour of cardio and resistance training, but I know I won't burn it off.

The mindset of having to undo damage and adding extra exercise to burn off anything I ate is what lead to my eating disorder. Restricting food and bulimia caused more physical damage than occasionally eating a little extra ever could. Please give yourself some slack and don't get into this mindset.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    There is an option on MFP to check your average daily calorie intake over a week. If I know that I've had a day of indulging i.e. went out for a meal and had a couple of drinks, I look at my average for the week and it gives me a good perspective. I think that it isn't necessarily what a person does on ONE day; it's what a person does all the other days. That's what will get us where we need to be.

How to check your daily average: Diary - Pie Chart in Upper Right Corner - Calories - Week View
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Afterthought:

I mentioned that "making up for" eating over goal can foster a disordered relationship with food/eating.

In addition, "making up for" by adding exercise has the potential to cast exercise as a punishment for eating over goal, possibly fostering a negative relationship with exercise, too. Exercise IMO should ideally be fun (at least tolerable/practical), and energizing, not punitive.

(@BodyTemple23, I did realize that you checked in since your OP to let us know you were thinking over the replies you'd received.)
    (snip)

My weight loss has been painfully slow. It took me 8 months to lose 11 pounds. I still have 18 more to go.

The math of calorie deficit is not working for me. I'm not a big eater. I eat very healthy, believe it or not. I exercise daily.

(snip)

The math of calorie deficit is idiosyncratic, individual. MFP, a calorie "calculator", or even a good fitness tracker is just providing a statistical estimate of calorie needs. Most people will be close the estimates, a few noticeably off (high or low), a rare few quite far off. That's the nature of statistical estimates.

Our own history, once we have many weeks of it, provides a much more useful estimate of our actual calorie needs. If you lost 11 pounds in 8 months, that implies an effective calorie deficit (on average over that whole time) of around 172 calories daily. There's nothing wrong with that: Progress is good.

Hang in there!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Once a month or so, I brew a large pot of chili. That day my total fat intake will show a huge spike, although my total calories for the day remains good. I just enjoy the day and carry on, no changes made to exercise or diet.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I take every day one day at a time. Whatever happens today stays on today, and tomorrow I start fresh. I would get way too obsessive if I tried to account for one days' calories, exercise, etc. on another day, when trying to also keep track of that day....

Also I'm over my fat goal almost every single day but I mostly just pay attention to the calorie goal.

I understand your frustration with slow weight loss because I'm right there with you. I try to remind myself that it's moving in the right direction and I'm not doing anything drastic or unsustainable. I've tried a dozen times before and always quit because I didn't want to keep it up long term. This time, I'm trying to do things that don't feel life-changing or restrictive. It is working for me and it is working for you too!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I used to spend a lot of time gnawing on macros.

Now, I just check my 7day average (available via the drop down box until top of the nutrition brrakdown page).

As long as my 7 days average is good, I’m fine.

Takes a lot of the pressure off.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This tells me you didn't learn anything about yourself. The thing is you are going to get incredibly demoralized by trying to work off every extra calorie you consume.

I think the better solution should be "How did this happen. What should I do differently next time"

The thing is you will "over eat" in the future. It is better to decide "what will I do in the future and what is a sustainable change in behavior"

In the future, and you are hungry and feel like knawing your arm off do this:
    Pause, take 5 deep breaths and grab something like a carrot or pepper strips to munch on while you wait.

You won't always be able to work off the extra calories. The better habit change is one that takes place in the moment of weakness.

I like to keep carrot "chips" in the fridge for this. Its not actual chips but rather carrots sliced thin to resemble a potato chips. A handful of carrot chips will give you the chewing sensation that tells your body you're eating to chill it will allow you to wait on your lunch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going to happen by overshooting your macro targets. Over eating your fat macro doesn't do any "damage". Overall calories are what matter and you have to look at that over time. There are times when you're going to be over on calories...it happens...but in the grand scheme of things, being over occasionally doesn't do any "damage" that needs to be undone either. In many cases you're still in a deficit, just a smaller one or maybe at maintenance for the day. Big whoop.

Losing weight, maintaining weight, and gaining weight is something that happens over time with relatively consistent calorie intake...consistently in a deficit, you'll lose weight...consistently around maintenance you will maintain...consistently in a surplus you will gain. The human body strives for homeostasis and it takes more than a day here and there to really do "damage"
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nothing is going to happen by overshooting your macro targets. Over eating your fat macro doesn't do any "damage". Overall calories are what matter and you have to look at that over time. There are times when you're going to be over on calories...it happens...but in the grand scheme of things, being over occasionally doesn't do any "damage" that needs to be undone either. In many cases you're still in a deficit, just a smaller one or maybe at maintenance for the day. Big whoop.

Losing weight, maintaining weight, and gaining weight is something that happens over time with relatively consistent calorie intake...consistently in a deficit, you'll lose weight...consistently around maintenance you will maintain...consistently in a surplus you will gain. The human body strives for homeostasis and it takes more than a day here and there to really do "damage"

Macros are calories. If you overshoot your macros, it's likely you'll overshoot your calories.