2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nothing is going to happen by overshooting your macro targets. Over eating your fat macro doesn't do any "damage". Overall calories are what matter and you have to look at that over time. There are times when you're going to be over on calories...it happens...but in the grand scheme of things, being over occasionally doesn't do any "damage" that needs to be undone either. In many cases you're still in a deficit, just a smaller one or maybe at maintenance for the day. Big whoop.

Losing weight, maintaining weight, and gaining weight is something that happens over time with relatively consistent calorie intake...consistently in a deficit, you'll lose weight...consistently around maintenance you will maintain...consistently in a surplus you will gain. The human body strives for homeostasis and it takes more than a day here and there to really do "damage"

Macros are calories. If you overshoot your macros, it's likely you'll overshoot your calories.

Not necessarily. I routinely overshoot protein and fats goals, but stay within calories. (Obviously, I have carbs left.)

OP didn't say whether or not she was over/under calories, protein, or carbs, that I have seen. All she's said is that she is "eating healthy" and "staying on track" and that her "weight loss has been painfully slow". That's not very specific.
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Re: my second post in the same thread - about losing 11 pounds in 8 months:

I was under my calorie count most days. My maintenance is 1650 calories, and I ate about 1400 calories on average. I worked out regularly and didn't eat those calories back.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Re: my second post in the same thread - about losing 11 pounds in 8 months:

I was under my calorie count most days. My maintenance is 1650 calories, and I ate about 1400 calories on average. I worked out regularly and didn't eat those calories back.

So basically you’re not doing bad. With a deficit of 250 calories you’d lose 1/2 lbs per week or 2lbs per month. You’re short 5lbs over 8 months or 72 calories per day. That’s gotally within the range of ligging error or individual deviation from a population average. Nothing wrong here!
  • hybridangel
    hybridangel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will make this short and sweet. If your relatively disciplined you may have needed those extra calories. So you may be responding to your intuition. Draw a line under it and do not think about it too much. Just get back on track
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    But...

I didn't eat my exercise calories back, so that should give me a total deficit of 500 calories plus. No?

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    But...

I didn't eat my exercise calories back, so that should give me a total deficit of 500 calories plus. No?

Based on your actual data (not calculated according to statistical averages): 11lbs over 8 months is an effective calorie deficit of 158kcal per day.
    Which would make your TDEE 1558kcal per day (including exercise) if you ate 1400 calories per day on average over that period and your food logging was accurate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    But...

Lietchi wrote: »
    Based on your actual data (not calculated according to statistical averages): 11lbs over 8 months is an effective calorie deficit of 158kcal per day.

Which would make your TDEE 1558kcal per day (including exercise) if you ate 1400 calories per day on average over that period and your food logging was accurate.

You can look at this two ways:

1. Your food logging was 100% accurate and your TDEE is lower than average. Calculate your deficit accordingly. Nothing else needs to be done.
    2. Your food logging is not accurate, which is the more common scenario. Study after study shows people are not great with calculating their Calories In. If you want us to help you examine this possibility, change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    But...

Not quite. Depending on how much effort the exercise was, your NEAT may drop during the rest of the day, and that overall is a far bigger source of calories expended than exercise. e.g. if after a tough workout session you spend a lot of time just relaxing on the sofa instead of moving around like you usually would.

You might burn an additional 400 calories working out (compared to not working out, i.e. do not double count the BMR), then by the end of the day you're only 200 up, or 300 up, because your NEAT dropped a little.

That depends on the exercise. HIIT, rucking, heavy weights, you might be more tired than usual and NEAT drops. If it's just walking or cycling at a low intensity, that's probably less of an issue.

Your weight loss over time and calories input logged in the same time, is the best estimate you have for your TDEE, far better than any generic online calculator.
  • AnnPT77
    edited November 2023
    Options
    But...

A calorie calculator, MFP, or a fitness tracker doesn't measure your deficit. It's all estimates. They are imprecise.

Your body measures your deficit.

Your actual weight loss averaged over 4-6 week timespans (or over whole menstrual cycles if you have those) tells you what your actual effective calorie deficit was.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nothing is going to happen by overshooting your macro targets. Over eating your fat macro doesn't do any "damage". Overall calories are what matter and you have to look at that over time. There are times when you're going to be over on calories...it happens...but in the grand scheme of things, being over occasionally doesn't do any "damage" that needs to be undone either. In many cases you're still in a deficit, just a smaller one or maybe at maintenance for the day. Big whoop.

Losing weight, maintaining weight, and gaining weight is something that happens over time with relatively consistent calorie intake...consistently in a deficit, you'll lose weight...consistently around maintenance you will maintain...consistently in a surplus you will gain. The human body strives for homeostasis and it takes more than a day here and there to really do "damage"

Macros are calories. If you overshoot your macros, it's likely you'll overshoot your calories.

I've been on here over a decade, so I'm well aware, but the OP never mentioned overshooting other macros, just fat. People do a bunch of handwringing around here because they don't hit a particular macro bang on and they think the world has somehow come to an end.

I usually overshot protein but undershoot fat and carbs for example...or overshoot protein and hit pretty close to fat and be well under carbs.
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and insights. I appreciate it and will make sure to mull over the inputs.

I'm undergoing a detox program and will resume my diet plan post that. I'll return to the MFP community for help once I resume.

Thank you!
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    @Lietchi, how did you estimate my TDEE?

I estimated 1650 based on a calculator @AnnPT77 shared a while back. I seem to have lost the link.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Ann probably gave you Sailrabbit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    The thing is - unless you log food and exercise for quite a while you won't be able to know exactly how much to eat. Online calculators are all guessing...your personal TDEE can vary a LOT from the calculators and can vary day to day and week to week. It's all a process and requires pivoting to stay on track.

Log food.
    Log exercise.
    Gather trending data over Time.
    Adjust as needed after gathering that data.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options

@Lietchi, how did you estimate my TDEE?

As I said: based on your actual data (not calculated according to statistical averages) :smile:

Bodyfat is around 3500kcal/lb to lose or gain. So based on your weight loss (11lbs (=38500kcal total deficit) divided by 244 days), I calculated what your average daily deficit was. Adding the deficit to your intake, I arrived at your estimated TDEE for that period.

Calculators are a starting point, but your own data is superior to that because that's all about you and not some statistical population average.
    Lietchi wrote: »
    But...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and insights. I appreciate it and will make sure to mull over the inputs.

I'm undergoing a detox program and will resume my diet plan post that. I'll return to the MFP community for help once I resume.

Thank you!

My friend was in detox last month and is going to rehab hopefully this month. She had an issue with her car that required her to stay in town and deal with personally and didn't make it yesterday as planned.

But perhaps you meant a different type of detox?
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    @kshama2001 Yes. I meant Ayurveda detox, which clears toxins from your body via natural therapies. It's just good for your system and liver in general.

I hope your friend recovers.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 Yes. I meant Ayurveda detox, which clears toxins from your body via natural therapies. It's just good for your system and liver in general.

I hope your friend recovers.

You do know that your kidneys and liver do all the detoxing your body needs, right? Unless you have serious kidney or liver damage, which you would be seeing a doctor for and be on kidney dialysis to detox your blood, these so called "detoxes" are pointless and are just costing you money.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Ann probably gave you Sailrabbit.

Yes, almost certainly.

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

But I hope I also told you what Lietchi is saying here: Using your own calorie intake and weight loss rate is a much better way to estimate calorie needs than any calculator or fitness tracker. But we can't do that at the start of a loss effort, because we need 4-6 weeks of calorie counting and weight-change data in order to do it. (It'd be whole menstrual cycles for those who have them, comparing weight at the same relative point in different cycles.)

When I estimated your effective average deficit earlier in this thread, I did what Lietchi did: Look at how long you said you'd been losing, and how much you've lost. Where she used days, I used weeks as an approximation, so came up with a slightly different answer: She got 158 calories as your average daily deficit, I got 172 calories. Same concept, different approximation math.

Use your own data to guide your calorie goals, once you have enough data to do that. For some of us, it makes a big, big difference. MFP's estimate and the one from my good brand/model fitness tracker (that's close for others) are off by around 500 calories daily. In my case, it's in the fortunate "get to eat more than average" direction, but it can go either way.

We're individuals. We can differ from average. Individualized TDEE estimates based on our own data are helpful. If someone determines they're close to what a calculator/fitness tracker says, they can continue using it. But if someone's further from average in calorie needs, believing the calculator/tracker estimate is going to make weight loss less predictable, and possibly more frustrating/discouraging.
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    Thanks, Ann. Yes, this makes sense. Thanks again.