Courting at the gym

Options
deathstarclock
deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
So usually every other day in the morning I notice this girl in the gym. She always works with a trainer first and then hits up the cardio machines. I find her very attractive, so I wanted to get the community's opinion. How does everyone feel about courting in the gym environment? I pretty much avoid it because I feel that while at the gym, you're in a very vulnerable state. You are obviously there for a reason so there's a natural tendency be that more self-conscious. In my eyes, it's just not proper gym etiquette either. But I can't help but feel a connection. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm pretty sure we are stealing glances at each other. To be honest she gives me that extra push on those last reps :blushing:

Even if it is socially acceptable to attempt this kind of approach in a gym, I am not even sure how to break the ice. In fact, at this present time in my life, I have nothing to offer a woman but my honest friendship. But then that would be another thread I suppose :ohwell:

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Tough spot! I think most women would HATE to get hit on at the gym.
    I consider it socially unacceptable.
    Not sure, but maybe try to walk out at the same time, chat with her then?
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Hello is a good ice breaker
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm in workout clothes, my hair is in a ponytail, I'm sweating and a guy is still interested in getting my number? I wouldn't mind that at all!
  • Estrella30
    Estrella30 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    agreed with above^^^

id take it as a great compliment. plus we are like minded in taking care of our health. good starting point to get to know some one. even if its just a friendship you are aiming for.

good luck!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mid at all either, I agree with beachgirl!

If you happen to walk past her and you guys lock eyes, smile, say hello and keep walking.

The next time you see her at the gym if she looks interested ( basically okaying an approach from you and NOT while she is running on the treadmill maybe while stretching or taking a water break ) and you happen to be close mention you see her there alot and ask her how she likes working with her trainer, or something like that. If she is interested, she will not try to make a quick break to get away from you.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Go for it =]
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Welllll. I would start with a smile. If she smiles back you can slip her your card as you leave one day or you can "accidentally" leave at the same time one day and you can say hi!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm in workout clothes, my hair is in a ponytail, I'm sweating and a guy is still interested in getting my number? I wouldn't mind that at all!

This is exactly what I think. I would be incredibly flattered if someone hit on me while I was at the gym! I think you should go for it. What's the worst that could happen? She says no, and you both move on. You've got nothing to lose!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I would love to be hit on at the gym. It means my hard work is paying off.... You've been watching her for a while. Comment that you've noticed her around a few times and that she getting more fit.
  • hardenedheartx
    hardenedheartx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree, if a guy is willing to hit on me when I look like crap at the gym I would totally be willing to listen. You should go for it!
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    What's the worst that can happen? Not much really!!!

go for it!!!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I would be flattered is someone found me attractive enough to talk to me at the gym! No makeup and sweaty and he still wants to talk to me? Just wait until she's done working out. While a breathy conversation can be sexy, it won't be if I'm on the treadmill and I pass out cause I'm trying to hold a conversation and run! Introduce yourself at the water fountain or after her training session (before cardio). Hope it goes well :heart:
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    And to clarify....I wouldn't want someone to come up to me while I was busting my *kitten* on the treadmill and say, how you doin'?
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You know what, I say go for it.

Maybe I am just shameless, but If I think a girls is amazingly attractive all sweaty with no makeup on and all frazzled, she should take it as a compliment.

I hit on girls at the gym occasionally. Usually not the FIRST time I see them or anything, but I try to make googly eyes at her to let her know I am interested, and if I get a smile or googly eyes back, its freaking on like Donkey Kong.

Oh, and like others mentioned... wait until there is a pause in the workout.

But don't hang around following her like a creeptard.
  • hadl0032
    Options
    I am in the process of going out on a first date w/ one of the personal trainers from my gym...tell me how intimidating that sounds?!? He had emailed me some info about this race I'm doing and I emailed him back, and things just kinda sparked up.

I think that if your gut instinct tells you that she may be interested too, just start by "crossing paths" with her in the gym...and say Hi! :) screw etiquette!!! What do u have to lose??? You only live once! If it doesn't work, just dont make eye contact w/ her anymore, and move on!

Trust me- I'm gonna be 31 and have been single for quite sometime....who says theres rules u have to follow??? do what ur heart/instincts tell you!

Good luck!!!!!!!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Love the "extra push" bit... haha

Go for it!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I think. I would be incredibly flattered if someone hit on me while I was at the gym! I think you should go for it. What's the worst that could happen? She says no, and you both move on. You've got nothing to lose!

What do you mean, IF? You've never been hit on at the gym? The guys in your town are doing it wrong.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Even if it is socially acceptable to attempt this kind of approach in a gym, I am not even sure how to break the ice. In fact, at this present time in my life, I have nothing to offer a woman but my honest friendship. But then that would be another thread I suppose :ohwell:

I will give you a dollar if you open with "My pace or yours?" I have always wanted to see someone try that line.
  • Angel87a
    Options
    I think saying Hello or giving tips is nice... it's when you immediately start asking name, digits and etc... it get's creepy... nothing wrong with being gym friends & then maybe it could progress to more.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options

What do you mean, IF? You've never been hit on at the gym? The guys in your town are doing it wrong.

Haha! Thanks, that made me smile. No, I have never been hit on while at the gym!