Daily check in for support and accountability

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• dogwalker157
    dogwalker157 Posts: 100 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @GenXMissusSpags - I am also from Massachusetts though we are slowly moving to Maine.

@HASWLRS - I hope things go better with your dad today. I have also been dealing with my father's health issues. Thankfully he was able to go back home after a stay in nursing care. With aging parents, their schedules become ours. I also prefer to eat my calories because I feel more satisfied, but hopefully you got to relax and enjoy that cappuccino and nice job staying within your calories!

I'm on a roll staying within my calorie goal for 2 days in a row. This is partly because I'm having a tooth issue and it hurts to chew :smiley: Whatever the reason, I will take it though I can certainly live without the mouth pain.
  • GenXMissusSpags
    GenXMissusSpags Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @dogwalker157 Ooooh...we are hoping to move to Maine eventually too!! It's our favorite place.

Great job staying within your calorie goal...but BOOO to tooth pain. I hope that's sorted out soon.
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    Thanks GenX. Yes, Maine is a beautiful place with a fantastic coastline. We bought a fixer upper a few years ago and it's finally livable. We've lived in MA our entire lives so this will be a big change.

I got into the frosted animal crackers this afternoon. I went to the grocery store hungry (never a good idea for me) I waited too long to have lunch and then started picking. I will be over some today but I did manage to stop myself before it got really ugly :wink:

Have a great weekend All!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    @dogwalker157 Sorry about the tooth pain. Well done on not letting the animal crackers uprising get ugly!

So, I have been with my dad in the hospital for the past two days. He is still in the ER because there is no bed for him in the ward, but he does have his own room. He is on the high flow O2 so his levels are now acceptable, and he is on antibiotics because they are assuming he is fighting another pneumonia infection. His spirits are pretty good, and he feels good, but he is confined to his bed with all the monitor hook ups. I have not eaten very much the past couple of days, so I am now in Onederland. However, it is also affecting my sleep as I have been awake since three. I live an hour and a half from his hospital, so I am not going today but my sister is. My husband and I will go back on Sunday. I just had some soup and I might try going back to bed now.
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    Lisa, sorry to hear about your dad and hopefully he will get to his own room soon. When my dad recently had his medical issue it quickly consumed a lot of time and energy. It's so easy to put your own needs aside when someone you care about is in crisis. I hope you are able to get rest and take care of yourself as well.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Lisa, sorry to hear about your dad and hopefully he will get to his own room soon. When my dad recently had his medical issue it quickly consumed a lot of time and energy. It's so easy to put your own needs aside when someone you care about is in crisis. I hope you are able to get rest and take care of yourself as well.

Thanks, Dianne. I did indeed go back to bed and was there until almost 10 am. My husband brought me my coffee on the couch when I got up. Right now I am having my breakfast at my computer. When my headache subsides we are going to go for a walk; it is a lovely, albeit cool, November day!
  • GenXMissusSpags
    Options
    Morning all! My remote days this week are all screwy louie because of Thanksgiving so I'm home today missing our work challenge weigh in day. Really going to try and stay on track this week but I do plan on enjoying turkey day...haha.

Have a great day everyone!
  • GenXMissusSpags
    Options
    Lost one pound after stepping on the scale at work this morning. As my coworker keeps saying, "This is a marathon, not a sprint..". I knew that the first week where I lost five pounds was an anomaly so this just motivates me to keep going and make it through Thanksgiving without falling completely apart food-wise.
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    @GenXMissusSpags - Great job on another pound lost! When I was working with a nutritionist, she used props to show the equivalent of a pound of fat. It really felt good to see that 1 lb visual. Keep up the great work and enjoy the holiday.

I have been doing a bit better with making choices. I met up with a friend who really takes care of herself and it inspired me to get refocused.

Happy Thanksgiving All!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    I guess I have disappeared again. This time, though, it is completely different. The day after I drove to my dad’s to take him to an appointment and he wasn’t doing well, I ended up driving back to his place and taking him in to the ER. (We didn’t send him by ambulance because we could not be sure the ambulance would send him to our hospital of choice, and the options are night and day). He has been in the hospital ever since, and with the exception of last Saturday, I have been there every day. They think he has a rare form of lung cancer that is filling his lungs with mucous. (He has been on oxygen since late summer). He will not be going home again; we are searching out palliative care options and trying to find one a bit closer to me. Currently my drive is about 75 minutes of highway driving one way. Before my dad went into the hospital I had been in the zone and counting calories and losing weight for 2 1/2 weeks. The amount of food I am consuming right now is not a lot, especially when I am at the hospital with him. However what I am choosing is healthy options. I am not logging, but still losing. This morning I weighed 195.2. My husband brought Christmas cookies home from the grocery store yesterday and I am not even tempted at the moment.

I hope all of you Americans here are having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! And I hope everyone keeps striving to reach their goals. Don't give up! I haven't; I'll be back someday, just not sure when that will be.

Lisa
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    Lisa,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Take care of yourself and I wish you peace through this difficult time, Dianne
  • starlabryars
    starlabryars Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is this group still going?
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    @starlabryars Hello and yes the group is sputtering along . We seem to go through periods of consistent daily posting to weeks with no posts. It seems to keep reviving.
  • FuriousHamster
    FuriousHamster Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi--I'm new (sort of) to MFP. I was on here years ago and it helped me lose 20 pounds. A LOT has happened since then and I find myself heavier than ever. Do you mind if I check in with this group for accountability?
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    Welcome FuriousHampster
    This group isn't consistently active. We tend to disappear for extended periods but some keep returning. I guess it all depends on what is going on in our lives. Even though I'm sporadic, logging back on this thread helps me to get grounded and to refocus on my goals. So even if you don't get a lot of response, I hope you find it helpful to check in.

I also lost some weight years ago on MFP and it slowly crept back on as I slid back into old habits. I have been preoccupied with losing weight on and off for most of my lifetime. When I was younger it was mostly for appearance. Now I view it as a part of maintaining health and the ability to stay active and enjoy life more fully.

Have a great day All
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Thought I would pop in for an update.

Dad did indeed pass away on November 28th. He died in hospital before we could find palliative care for him. I got down to 194 right around that time. Put on ~5 at Christmas. We just got back yesterday from a two week vacation (an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale followed by a conference in West Palm Beach) and I put on ~5 more from that. So back up to 203.4. I am logging my food again starting today, but my husband also wants to lose weight so this time it might be easier? He will not log food; he'll just watch his portions, and cut out that late night snacking. We go to Mexico in four weeks so our goal is to lose as much as we can before then.

Hope you are all having a wonderful start to 2024!
    Lisa
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    It has been over 36 hours since we got off the plane, we didn't eat very much yesterday (giving our digestive tracts a rest), and a more relaxed bowel now that I am home (TMI, I know), has resulted in the scales being down three pounds this morning. Back in Onederland!!
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    Lisa, I'm just logging in after a long hiatus. I'm sorry to learn of your dad's passing in November. I am glad to hear that you have been able to get some travel and relaxation- though I know travel comes with it's own stress :smile:

I haven't been paying much attention to my nutrition and overall health for some time now. When I visited the doctor last week, I was reminded how important it is to make health a priority. At this point it would be very good if I could lose 25 lbs. So that is going to be my goal for the next 3 months or so. I try not to focus on the scale but I do need a measure and that is the easiest way for me to track. My plan is to weigh a few times a week and try to maintain a 500 cal. day deficit. I'm also really going to try to make an effort to cut out a lot of the processed sugar snack stuff.
    Not sure if anyone is looking at this thread any longer but I plan to post my progress here to help me stay focused and attentive.
  • Jesi1011
    Jesi1011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Starting MFP again after some failed attempts over the last couple years. Lost 30lbs in 2016 getting to around 140 and my lowest weight I could remember. Did this before trying for my last kiddo who is now almost 6! She did a number on me and bringing me to my highest weight! Now to lose 40-50lbs. Making some small changes; cutting out diet soda, limiting red meat. Husband is making changes this time too which is a huge deal to make this an easier process.
    Started eating brown rice vs white which we’ve never liked before but finding ways to actual enjoy it. Turkey burgers and turkey bacon/sausage which everyone is enjoying.

May try to post updates regularly so I can hold myself accountable.

Anyone have any accountability tips? What do you use to show progress for yourself?
  • Kotkoda005
    Kotkoda005 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 31 and currently shredding for a bodybuilding competition. I am a pneumococcal survivor and mental health fighter so I want to spread the awareness and show others they are worthy and capable.

I signed up for MFP today, and am sitting at 61.3kg however, my heaviest was 75kg.

My goal (or stage) weight is 55 - 56kg so I have a small grind ahead!