Daily check in for support and accountability

Options

Replies

• dogwalker157
    dogwalker157 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello and Happy Sunday,
    I've been off the grid for a bit, just busy with life. For the most part I logged accurately- the good, bad and ugly days :blush: Yesterday I really just decided to go off the rails and ate quite a lot of snack/dessert stuff. Today I am staying more focused and eating healthier options. Thankfully, I have been doing a lot of physical stuff with the nicer weather so that is helping to offset some of the higher calorie days.

I hope all is well and everyone is enjoying the weekend.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I’ve been having some accountability issues here this month. Like I feel lazy so I don’t want to even acknowledge it in the community boards. I’ve still had at least 5000, usually over 8000, steps in a day. I’m still tracking, although I’ve been logging after I eat rather than before which leads to my over indulgence. So I’m not completely gone. I think it’s just the final month of school and all that goes with that is keeping me a bit more scattered than I want to admit.

One of the busy things though was taking my daughter to the Reading All Stars baseball game. The kids got a hat, free book, and paraded around the field at the minor league baseball game yesterday. At least if I’m going to be busy it will be because I’m spending time with family and friends and not just running myself ragged on work. I’m having fun… just tired and need a break eventually. Hoping after my parents visit in a couple weeks and with school being out I’ll be able to have a few days without running anywhere at all.

5ejzu1iuppxt.jpg
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    So, yesterday I went to a bridal shower for my nephew's fiancee. There was a lovely spread of food and goodies, so it was impossible to "log it" so I just enjoyed myself. I didn't go crazy, but the slice of cake alone with all of its icing was more decadence than I have had in awhile. I still had dinner when I got home because my husband and I had planned it ahead of time. Again, I didn't go crazy. The moment where I reverted back to my old ways of eating things I shouldn't when I am not really hungry was when I saw some pictures of myself on Face Book from the shower. I know I am not small, but I have been feeling much better about myself. Even when I went blouse shopping a couple weeks ago so I would have something to wear to this shower, I was still pulling out the big sizes to try on, but somehow it was okay because a) I was by myself and b) I told myself that this size was for now, not forever. However, I looked absolutely huge in one picture and it broke me a little. I think I will be okay today, as I haven't had anything but coffee so far and I have no desire to finish the cheese curds I got into last night. Maybe a little break was good.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @dogwalker157 and @pamperedlinny It sounds like you two are in a similar boat....still logging and still active but not necessarily under in calories all days. We do need to give ourselves a break sometimes as life does make it very challenging to be in a calorie deficit every day. The fact that you two are still here and still logging means that this will turn around eventually and you'll be able to focus on it more completely. I think my little "give-up" from yesterday was good for me. It emphasizes the "progress not perfection" mantra that serves us well when we get into that "all or nothing" perfectionist mindset.
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    @HASWLRS- I can so relate to that feeling of disappointment when I see a less than flattering photo. I have experienced this several times lately. When I'm on a roll and the clothes are feeling looser, it is a downer to not see the rewards from all of the effort. I think we are overly critical of ourselves and need to be kinder. I recently read something about changing our thoughts about our image. When you look in the mirror it suggests that we find positive things to say about ourselves and not focus on all of the negatives. This is difficult for me- particularly in pictures. Every day you are making progress even if you don't always see it. It is rewarding to know that as we lose the pounds, our blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar etc. are all improving.

When I decided to lose weight it was part of my plan to improve my overall wellness- which is my goal. I want to to be able to continue to be active and enjoy good health, so I have to let it go when I don't see the progress in the pictures :smile:

Here's to us for continuing to keep coming back- even if we are not perfect!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @dogwalker157 Thanks for that, Dianne. For a lot of overweight people, as they lose weight and become smaller, they have a hard time seeing that smaller person in the mirror. I am somewhat the opposite. I believe I see myself smaller than I am, so when the camera shines a light on reality, it is a jagged little pill to try to swallow. Maybe they call that denial?? I am starting to wallow a little bit in disappointment as the day goes on, so I think I will step away from the computer, throw in a load of laundry and do some exercise!
  • julierackow
    julierackow Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hi everyone...count me in too!

Julie from the Chicago suburbs. 62 and recently retired with my husband of 40 years. Back in 2012 I lost almost 50 lbs. Just walked every morning with a neighbor and cut the crap from my diet. What a concept! Gained almost all of it back. In 2021 my husband and I booked a vacation and decided to start walking and dieting again before this trip. We both did fantastic, him especially. Unfortunately that summer I was dealing with some pretty bad knee pain and before we'd walk I'd have to take a prescription anti-inflammatory plus wear knee braces and ice when we got home. 2022 was the year I decided to stop the insanity with getting cortisone injections and meds, and had partial knee replacement in both knees. (Right was done on 6/27/22 and my left done 10/24/22). Unfortunately with that came some weight gain from inactivity. (sorry this is such a long post!)

I know this isn't the best reason for losing, but my doctor said, "whatever helps!" we have another vacation booked for September, and then (this is going to be the hard part) another one booked for April of 2024. How am I possibly going to make it thru a winter without gaining?!?! Ugh!

Anyway, I obviously need all the help I can get. I'm happy to report that we're back to walking just over 3 miles a day (if the weather's good) on our neighborhood (paved) walking trail. We clip along at a pretty good pace too. Trying to follow what we've done in the past; move and eat healthier. My new knees feel great, I'm not on any meds, and I don't have to ice or wear braces.

My husband never weighs himself, but I like to see a number. Here are my stats so far. Not going to list each weekly weigh in, just where I started and where I am now.

3/8/23: 231.5
    5/9/23: 220
    Goal: 175 (I'm 5'9") but anything under 200 would make me so happy!

oh wow...just noticed my stats from 2021 are still saved.

4/30/21: 236.5
    9/13/21: 210

Looking forward to weekly weigh ins and accountability.

Editing to add, we definitely are doing this for health reasons. We have two grown daughters (no grandkids...yet) and we want to enjoy long and healthy lives with our family.

• julierackow
    Options
    "I am somewhat the opposite. I believe I see myself smaller than I am, so when the camera shines a light on reality, it is a jagged little pill to try to swallow."

This is me 100%. It takes a photo for reality to set in.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    @HASWLRS I definitely don't see the smaller person in the mirror. I need to go back and look at photos from a year ago, two years ago, etc to really see the changes. I'm not able to look at myself in the mirror and really see myself as smaller at all.

@dogwalker157 My goal was overall health too. Not just weight. My biggest goal was actually to get my A1C under control so I didn't need diabetic medication, but that meant eating better, exercising more... plus I wanted to be able to chase my kid across the yard without feeling winded. Just overall more mindful and healthful.

@julierackow Welcome!!! Walking is such a great way to move, especially when you have a partner. I don't walk nearly enough when I'm alone, but I have 2 neighbors that I walk with most days during our lunch hour (we all work from home). During the winter or too hot months (I live in South Carolina) I do a lot of workouts on YouTube. Guided walks, zumba, maybe even some easy dumbbell exercises. I did break down and start paying for YouTube Premium though because I couldn't do commercials in the middle of an exercise. That part was driving me crazy.
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    Welcome Julie- I think wherever we find the motivation is great.

@HASWLRS - Again- can so relate. In my head I have this picture of myself that doesn't always align with the photos. My mother often reminds me that in order to achieve it you have to believe that you are already there. So I visualize myself thin but then I see a picture and wow- throws me off. Sometimes I even question if it's just the picture :smiley:

@Pampered- Now that I'm older I'm not as focused on the looks part of weight loss, though I would be lying if I said it didn't matter at all. Good for you to get those health issues under control. I'm older than you and I have to say, it does seem to get more difficult to lose. I used to drop weight easily, now it takes more effort. You have done incredibly well and are an inspiration.

Have a great day All
  • julierackow
    Options
    Hi everyone. I hope it's muscle! Scale didn't budge again today. We've done 12 days of workouts, and the past week and a half we've changed our walking route to what lengthwise is the equivalent of a 5k. Takes us just under an hour. I've cut the crap out of our diets, drink lots of water and have a calorie surplus each day. Over a week of walking a daily 5k and nothing?? Scratching my head here. I know you're not supposed to pay attention to the scale (my husband doesn't), but it's making me a little crazy.

I don't see how I'll achieve the "if you continue to eat like this..., in 5 weeks you'll weigh..." if my scale is stuck on 220.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hi everyone. I hope it's muscle! Scale didn't budge again today. We've done 12 days of workouts, and the past week and a half we've changed our walking route to what lengthwise is the equivalent of a 5k. Takes us just under an hour. I've cut the crap out of our diets, drink lots of water and have a calorie surplus each day. Over a week of walking a daily 5k and nothing?? Scratching my head here. I know you're not supposed to pay attention to the scale (my husband doesn't), but it's making me a little crazy.

I don't see how I'll achieve the "if you continue to eat like this..., in 5 weeks you'll weigh..." if my scale is stuck on 220.

@julierackow I don't know what to say to that....frustrating for sure! How long has the scale been stuck on the same number? Is it the scale itself? Do you need new batteries?
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    I weighed yesterday morning, posted an almost two pound loss, but then reverted to my old ways of eating everything in sight! I did a delivery for my husband yesterday, mid morning. Two hours in the car meant that I hadn't drank very much water, for obvious reasons, and I hadn't registered very many steps at all on my Fitbit. I came back, had a late lunch of salad and coffee. Went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I did not go in with the resolve that I have been exhibiting as of late. Still did not buy chocolate, but bought a few salty snacks. Well, I ended up eating them all once I got home. I need to just buy one thing that I can fit into that day's budget, and not any more! Part of the reason, too, that I fell off the rails is that I have been neglecting my housework, and it reached a tipping point for me! I always do this when I try to lose weight; I become hyper focused on that one thing and everything else suffers.
  • julierackow
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »

@julierackow I don't know what to say to that....frustrating for sure! How long has the scale been stuck on the same number? Is it the scale itself? Do you need new batteries?

I've been stuck at 220 since May 9th. It's not that I haven't lost weight with dieting. I was 231.5 on March 8th, so I have seen movement. And May 9th is the day we added walking to our dieting. We started with an outdoor walk around our neighborhood that was around a mile. On May 15th we started walking the community trail which is also in our neighborhood. It's a paved walking/biking trail and we do just over 3 miles, which seems like a perfect walk. (Once the weather gets really warm, we probably won't go as far, but it's been sunny and cool most mornings.) I've been pretty consistent with eating well and drinking lots of water. My daughter thinks the weight gain is from muscle.

Funny, I was thinking maybe it's my scale. It lights up though. Maybe I'll switch out the batteries and see what happens.
  • julierackow
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    I weighed yesterday morning, posted an almost two pound loss, but then reverted to my old ways of eating everything in sight! I did a delivery for my husband yesterday, mid morning. Two hours in the car meant that I hadn't drank very much water, for obvious reasons, and I hadn't registered very many steps at all on my Fitbit. I came back, had a late lunch of salad and coffee. Went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I did not go in with the resolve that I have been exhibiting as of late. Still did not buy chocolate, but bought a few salty snacks. Well, I ended up eating them all once I got home. I need to just buy one thing that I can fit into that day's budget, and not any more! Part of the reason, too, that I fell off the rails is that I have been neglecting my housework, and it reached a tipping point for me! I always do this when I try to lose weight; I become hyper focused on that one thing and everything else suffers.

Give yourself a pat on the back for not buying the chocolate! I understand when it comes to craving salty snacks. Have you tried Skinny Pop popcorn? I buy a case at Costco and each bag is 100 calories. Pretty filling and takes care of the crunchy/salty craving.
  • julierackow
    Options
    I should also add that I have a skort that I've been trying on about once a week. It barely fit a month ago, and now it's fitting comfortably. So that's something positive. My husband thinks I'm crazy worrying about a number on the scale.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    I should also add that I have a skort that I've been trying on about once a week. It barely fit a month ago, and now it's fitting comfortably. So that's something positive. My husband thinks I'm crazy worrying about a number on the scale.

He may be on to something!! Since you have already lost 11 pounds and clearly know what you are doing as far as your numbers go (calories in/calories out), then I would be patient (easier said than done) and give it another week.
  • dogwalker157
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @Julie- When I first came back, after a long hiatus, I lost a pound the first week and then the scale was stuck. I was pretty discouraged- I used to lose weight so much easier when I was younger. I was trying not to put too much emphasis on weight loss, but was still disappointed with the reluctant scale. I was feeling better overall and that kept me going. It's been about 12 weeks and I'm down 12-15 pounds (depending on the day.) I'm not depriving myself and I'm learning to accept the slower pace of the weight loss. It does feel great when the scale finally moves. I also wonder if part of it is the increased exercise. It seemed that when I really started exercising my weight loss slowed initially. I'm guessing you will have a sudden drop- keep up the great work!

@HASWLRS-As hard is it can be to do, try to give yourself a break. I'm starting to learn that beating myself up for eating something is not helpful. We have a lifetime of habits that are so ingrained and are often unconscious. I'm trying to catch myself and be more aware, when I slip in to old habits. Also- HUGE congrats on the 2 pound loss that's terrific. I like to look at something that weighs what I've lost (2lbs. of ground beef- and think yay, I got rid of this. Nicely done!

That being said... I have to take my own advice here. The last few days have been less than stellar- or even remotely acceptable :blush: My husband brought home a tub of peanut butter m & m's and I have gone off the rails. The last 3 days I have eaten about 1000 cals over eating them. Once I start on them I can't seem to stop myself- I don't even want to when I'm in the moment. However, after I feel gross and aggravated with myself.
    Today is better. I'm not going near them and I'm working on staying within my calorie budget. I find that I'm having streaks of doing well and thinking "I have this under control" and then all of the sudden I catch myself binging. It's definitely a work in progress. Have a great afternoon All!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Fell off the rails the last couple of days. Tuesday it started with my routine being different. It finished with me going to the grocery store hungry, but without the calorie budget to justify the treats bought at the store and then promptly eaten. Went way over with reckless abandon. (Kind of scary how easily I could revert to old habits. I guess those habits are not yet "old" enough to be in the rear view mirror). Wednesday I was still doing a bit of the same, then I got some sad news, so any sort of semblance to reigning it in was lost. I will try again today.

@dogwalker157 "'I have this under control' and then all of a sudden I catch myself binging. It's definitely a work in progress". Sounds all too familiar!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Happy Memorial Day weekend!

I had a better day yesterday. Still some random tears, but not reaching for food. I went to work and forgot my Fitbit, (very frustrating) so I would never know exactly how many calories I had to work with for the day. I even turned down a Timbit because I didn't have my Fitbit! Anyways, I ate well, and was about 175 calories over without my work steps. So, even though I was technically in the red, I figured I was actually in the green.